Fiat 128 Familiare restomod AKA the "Substitute Teacher"

I would try for the same oil pan height as the OE 128 motor, keeping the same overall configuration of the weight in the car is something you don’t want to mess with too much.

You don’t want future Chris hating present Chris too much.
*SIGH* Fine! I just texted with Clatter (Steve) whom I gave the old engine/trans to. I asked him to measure me the distance from the center of the crank to the engine mount. Turns out that my initial mounting idea would position the crankshaft an inch higher. Yes, I would like to maintain the same center-of-mass placement as the old 1300. So, I am going to hang the engine in the bay and see what there is to see. There may be some compromising involved but as far as future Chris hating past Chris, well just chuck more on the heap. Past Chris pulled some real dickhead moves in his time that present Chris still stings about at times.

Ok, instead of fighting my brain about visualizing the engine in the bay, I just sat it in there to see. I believe I am very close to the stock placement of the crankshaft. Sometimes engine swaps are described as "putting a quart in a pint pot" I think this is more like "putting a pint in a sippy cup". For such a small engine there is precious little room. Good thing I chose not to go for a K20 powerplant! As is, I believe I will be cutting some metal out and adding back a lot more. I will probably do it wrong but at least I will agonize over it properly.

Attachments

• IMG_0984.jpeg
    IMG_0984.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0985.jpeg
    IMG_0985.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Ok, instead of fighting my brain about visualizing the engine in the bay, I just sat it in there to see. I believe I am very close to the stock placement of the crankshaft. Sometimes engine swaps are described as "putting a quart in a pint pot" I think this is more like "putting a pint in a sippy cup". For such a small engine there is precious little room. Good thing I chose not to go for a K20 powerplant! As is, I believe I will be cutting some metal out and adding back a lot more. I will probably do it wrong but at least I will agonize over it properly.
Going rearward wouldn’t be a bad idea. Where in relationship to the crank is the centerline of the transmission output shafts?

A different header is in your future in any case.

All in all not as bad as I was expecting. Congrats.

Edit: I see the back of the transaxle hard up on the rack and pinion. Hmmm

Last edited:
Musing over the placement, I'm thinking that tipping the engine back ~ 5 degrees around the crank will allow for clearance of the trans and the steering rack and in front clearance of the water pump pully and front sway bar sheet metal. The exhaust manifold will need changing regardless. Not ideal for the engine of course but nothing is happening yet until I run through all the possible permutations...

I know right, this is why I value input. Please feel free to comment on the channel -not to promote it but to encourage discussion around the project. There may be others holding their tongue not wanting to hurt my pride (which I left on the floor a while back). I need to keep it stupid simple and require reminders as I drift about staring at components!

I know right, this is why I value input. Please feel free to comment on the channel -not to promote it but to encourage discussion around the project. There may be others holding their tongue not wanting to hurt my pride (which I left on the floor a while back). I need to keep it stupid simple and require reminders as I drift about staring at components!
I like the tipping back which might reduce the interaction with the steering rack as the rotation will lower the axle/differential area of the transaxle, you might be able to sneak the transaxle just under the steering rack.

Yup, I did think on this a bit about mid-engine-ing it, basically needing an X1/9/Scorpion rear suspension. Making attachment points for it, moving the fuel tank up front for room for the exhaust.....eh I'm already in that with the Scorpion and I like having the change in dynamics of a fun, light, manual, front-wheel-drive hatch when I feel the desire.

Back