Fiat 128 For Sale In Idaho

Albert...you comprehende amigo!

No confusion on your end...in residence are:
'76 Marinara Sauce Red 4dr & '74 Napa Grape Estate.
(purchased the car outta Napa Calif)
They will likely hit the block next summer.
'73 Pisello Dividendo (Split Pea) Estate acquisition
will likely be consumated soon.
No adult female supervision at mi casa, so adding Split Pea
without first peddling the others isn't a problem.

Brent...thx for report!
Sounds like you're as nutty as I am.
Maybe nuttier...I don't have a Hearse! Ha!

Splitime...I've found sellers respond better to a phone call.
Armed with Brent's inspection report,
sounds like you've got a leg up on the deal.
Calif cars are well worth the added shipcost.

Napa Grape Estate...

Paint looks better in pics than it really is.
Solid body from Calif. Roached interior, other than good headliner.
Pretty stock, other than Bosch ignition conversion.
They all have rust to some degree.
Calif rust is totally different than other rust,
in that it forms, but doesn't fester and create carnage.
Rust removed couple years ago and field tested in Oregon.
Including windshield R&R, which is lightyears more difficult than on a X.

Considering how ballistic the crowds at Historic road races go over the 128 Sedan,
I figure that's prime venue to offer it up next summer.

128estate.jpg

wagonrear.jpg

I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact details given to me, but here goes.

Bought, went to DMV and had to SMOG the car. Didn't pass due to starter, he fixed that and went back. Then didn't pass due to no back seat, he id something about it supposed to be a 1975, but the 77 has a back seat. He lost me with that part.

I am wondering if he was sold it with an inoperable title, gave that in when attempting to transfer but had to smog to receive the new title. He said there needs to be the 550 to get the title and pass smog. He mentioned he was given the paperwork for a liability release and could do that to sell it. I just need to see if I can get a title.

I'm going to call the Cali DMV tomorrow to figure out what needs to happent title it so I can actually drive it if i buy it. Then to call some shippers to see what they need to do a remote pickup like this is (remote from me).

Does anyone have any advice for this process?

Oh and he mentioned someone from Oregon was also interested, he had just gotten back from DMV and was going to pass on the information. For the Oregon person (if you are on here)... let me have it! It'll be my first Fiat, I'll be good to it I promise :)

Thx for posting results...

...and kudos for hanging in there in spite of overwhelming obstacles.

Not following the "no-backseat caused failure of smog test" tale.
And some of the other sounds strange.

If your state has wait-it-out option like Washington,
that might be less painful than dealing with Calif DMV.

Good luck, and remember, if it was meant to be, it will be.
If not, others will come to market.

Thanks for the pics Mike.Lmk when ready to sell,i may bite!!...like the single ladder bumpers with aux lights.All it needs are my CD30's and Faza flares!!.......

Looks like no title is going to be a complete no go for me.

Here is what I was able to gather if it helps someone else.

1977 Fiat 128
545 owed back fine/fees to register and then smog
No Title
Has previous Bill of Sale (from when he bought it)
DMV gave him a Release of Liability to sell it later
VIN: 128A1232006
Lic: 1CXH519

Still unsure how registering/smogging it is going to help him without a title. My best guess is there was some title with the state that once the backfee is paid and the smog is done he gets, but he stated simply that he doesn't have a title.

I asked him "so the car has not title and can't get one? Just a bill of sale?" Answer " Yes that information is correct".

Thx for update...

...sorry it didn't work out for you.
Admire your grit in keeping after it.
Seller appears to not be helping himself make a sale.

Hang in there, & keep funds available to move on next opportunity.
I see about 2 dozen FS annually,
so take comfort one will surface that meets your needs.

Thx to all who expressed interest in NapaGrapeEstate.
Anticipate it will hit the block next June as runner/driver.

Awesome example outta Calif was on Bring-A-Trailer last year.
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/08/25/bat-exclusive-6899-mile-1975-fiat-128-survivor/
Another interesting BAT example in Georgia...
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/02/13/1976-fiat-128-rally/
Also, the awesome and perpetually for sale Obert 128 hotrod...
http://bringatrailer.com/2009/11/22/1977-fiat-rally-128-special-abarth-look-coupe/

Have you seen 128 sedan FS outta K-Falls Oregon?
Appears seller doesn't really want to sell, but here's link to ad...
http://klamath.craigslist.org/cto/3412279666.html
And ad copy...1976 Fiat 128 Sedan 1300 - 4 door / 4 speed stick - off white in color with light brown interior. We are in the middle of restoring this little gem, yet I still drive it all over town. It is still in need of work both in and outside but gets awesome gas mileage!! This is a great car and alot of fun to drive - I would of never dreamt of selling this car in a million years - this is truly my pride and joy. However, a family financial emergency has occured and we all must do things in life we sometimes cringe at the mere thought of. (this would be one of them.)
None-the-less the odometer reads 59482.1, (I have not touched it and to the best of my knowledge the person I received the car from did not as well.) I did replaced the starter, plugs, plug wires, new oil (oil filter as well), battery, and wiring harness, (it was melted together in spots when I received it). Everything inside is original, and in fairly good shape, the driver seat has a tear along the seam by the door, the driver door handle needs to be replaced (inside), and the passenger side of the windshield is cracked towards the upper edge. - Like I said we are still in the process of refurbishing this little cutie, and again I do drive it around town.
Please NOTE, if the clouds do break and for whatever reason I can get out of selling it, I WILL.... However, if it is meant to be yours and you do buy my Fiat - You will hopefully care for it as much as I have, it deserves a good home! $2500.00 and it is yours, please either text or call me or my husband rather than EMail - we don't check it - Kris or Jamie 541.281.9568

For the car in Rancho Cordova, no title is no problem here in GA. For a car 25 years old or older, a Bill of Sale is all I need to register and get tags.

Unfortunately, the cost of shipping that all the way from CA to GA would most likely make it an unattractive deal. Still, I'm oddly interested.

Has anyone actually looked at this thing in person?

Gotta love the California DMV

The State of California will not issue a title until the transfer process is complete, which includes passing a smog test. Not having the title in hand does not prevent the car from being legitimately sold by a California seller to a California buyer, the new title will simply be issued to the new owner once all of the title transfer requirements are completed.

It sounds like this car was previously sold with a Bill of Sale only, no title (perhaps it was lost), and no smog certificate, and the new owner tried to get it running well enough to pass smog but couldn't, and now wants to sell it. So, all he has is the paperwork from the title transfer process that he started but couldn't finish.

In this case, the seller might need to sign a Statement of Facts at the DMV, and the back fees will need to be paid in full by someone, but then a new title can be issued and the registration can be renewed after it passes a smog test. Given the reduction in asking price over the past several months, the present owner might be wise to pay the fees, get it to pass the smog test, wait to receive the title, and then relist it at $2k where it started.

See Brent's post...

...just above, on Dec 7.
http://www.xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/159816#poststop

Understand shipping creates huge increase in cost of acquisition.
Many a rustfree example has been scrapped for that reason.

Perhaps call the seller, explain the facts of no-title limitations,
shipcosts, your risk in buying sight unseen,
and liability of DMV back fees for Calif buyers.
Been for sale since May,
so he may be getting to point of understanding reality,
and open to offer?

It was me...

Oh and he mentioned someone from Oregon was also interested, he had just gotten back from DMV and was going to pass on the information. For the Oregon person (if you are on here)... let me have it! It'll be my first Fiat, I'll be good to it I promise :)

I think I'm one of the people he was going to pass info to...except I'm not in Oregon...I'm in WA. I've talked to the guy quite a few times since I saw the car around Thanksgiving. Hope he knows no title really brings the value down.

Thx for update!

Glad to hear someone stepped up properly for sweet 128 hotrod.
Great respect for your ongoing efforts to establish proper values.
Will never forget screaming ride in that car through wilds
of Southern Oregon mountains.

Just to mention, I was successful at finding a Fiat for myself. Brought it home today and started prepping for winter work.

I really need some nice wide vintage wheels though.

IMG_0632_zps2a43b6b5.jpg

Back