Fiat 128 Outer CV Joints Install tricks?

lanciahf

True Classic
Please help!
How how do I get the outer cv joint back on? I know I am supposed to spread the circlip but every thing is flopping around and I only have two hands.

Carl where are you!!!

What is 'flopping' around? The Haynes does not detail re-assembly, but the end of the shaft has a taper on the end and by tapping the shaft in should spread the Circlip. If you have a vice, the joint can be in the vice and a you can use the circlip pliers in one hand, and the shaft in the other..

Last edited:
I'm sure I did this many times but have no recollection. I agree that getting something in the vice would be the third hand.

Finally got the driveshafts together, one of the clips was jammed inside the cv joint. Requiring its disassembly. After that it was a matter of putting the cv joint in a vise and pushing the driveshaft in.

So are zip ties bad for holding cv boots on?

Finally got the driveshafts together, one of the clips was jammed inside the cv joint. Requiring its disassembly. After that it was a matter of putting the cv joint in a vise and pushing the driveshaft in.

So are zip ties bad for holding cv boots on?

Uh, no. Don't use zip ties.

Or these: https://belmetric.com/universal-time-pirate-cut-to-size-ear-clamp-stainless-steel/

Some vendors have similar clamps as well.

Carl would and does in fact use zip ties. Without the "tool" those clamps are next to useless. And I don't have that tool. Trying to tighten them with pliers or wire cutters was a total fail. Ain't nothing wrong with zip ties in this application as far as I'm concerned but that's me.

I have the tool and use it a lot, most of my clamps on my cars are oetiker at this point. Even on steering rack boots!

1711549624143.png

Fuel lines:
1711549871346.png

1711550001314.png

Re-freshed all vapor lines, looks factory original, etc. I've also moved to constant tension clamps everywhere I can.

Here's an action shot of constant tension and oetiker on the fuel pump low pressure side:
1711550409701.png

And all my coolant hoses are now constant tension:

1711550681425.png

Looks great and way easier to deal with than the old school worm clamps that chew into the hoses.

You can use wire cutters on the oetiker clamps in lieu of the official tool, but they should be this type:

1711550979434.png

That's basically what the tool looks like anyway, it just adds extra mechanical advantage. I use to use an old set of these that I "took the edge off" so that I didn't inadvertently cut through the oetiker clamp. Works fine.

I have the tool and use it a lot, most of my clamps on my cars are oetiker at this point. Even on steering rack boots!

View attachment 82940

Fuel lines:
View attachment 82941

View attachment 82942

Re-freshed all vapor lines, looks factory original, etc. I've also moved to constant tension clamps everywhere I can.

Here's an action shot of constant tension and oetiker on the fuel pump low pressure side:
View attachment 82943

And all my coolant hoses are now constant tension:

View attachment 82944

Looks great and way easier to deal with than the old school worm clamps that chew into the hoses.

You can use wire cutters on the oetiker clamps in lieu of the official tool, but they should be this type:

View attachment 82945

That's basically what the tool looks like anyway, it just adds extra mechanical advantage. I use to use an old set of these that I "took the edge off" so that I didn't inadvertently cut through the oetiker clamp. Works fine.
Same here. I switched to these clamps for all my fuel lines.

That one boot looks like it has cracks in the valleys.
Be sure to wear heavy leather gloves when anywhere near those strap ends!

You nailed it, I definitely work on Fiats like it's 1980s, and back then every part that went on my Fiat was used, fresh from the junkyard.....I had four small kids and no money for hobbies......well what little discretionary money I had went to the race bike.

Back