Fiat 17mm head bolts retorque tool

petex19

True Classic
I can't seem to find any online pictures and am at work so I can't take a picture of mine. I have a 17mm Fiat head bolt retorque tool that I've never used before. It looks very different then all the pictures online of others retorque tool. Nowhere near as many bends in it.
I'll add a picture after I get home. Mine is an actual Fiat tool with a part number stamped into the cast. Anyone ever use thus tool and have good results?

There are 2 head bolt retorque wrenches. One is pretty straight, the other multi angle like a big square "C". These are the 19mm versions:

IM002333.JPGIM002334.JPGIM002336.JPG

There is a wheel bearing retaining ring tool in the picture too, so ignore it. :)

There are 2 head bolt retorque wrenches. One is pretty straight, the other multi angle like a big square "C". These are the 19mm versions:

View attachment 83153View attachment 83154View attachment 83155

There is a wheel bearing retaining ring tool in the picture too, so ignore it. :)
Mine is like your more straight one. It has the 12 point end but I think it has even less bends than that in 17mm. Mine is at a 90degree angle at the bottom where it goes over the head bolt.
Have you used it before with success?

Last edited:
Pete, it seems I've seen several different versions of the X head torque wrenches pictured on the forum over the years. I'm certainly not a Fiat tool expert but I imagine some of them may have different shapes to accommodate things like 10 vs 14 bolt heads, various fastener sizes, perhaps even engine accessory variances (e.g. carb vs FI). Also we may have seen some that were actually for other related models of Fiats (not the X) with the SOHC. And they could require a unique shape to gain the needed access. The point is I wouldn't be too concerned what the shape is so long as it will work for your needs. But really that might be your question?...will it work for your engine? Give it a test try to see how it looks. ;)

My Fiat head bolt retorque tool. Anyone else use this version with 17mm bolts and be successful?

Attachments

• 20240401_195340.jpg
    20240401_195340.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240401_195353.jpg
    20240401_195353.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 24
Oh? I thought you could get to the head bolts on the back side with a regular socket and the tool was for the intake side only? Yours aren't 17mm?

You can, except for the one under the throttle cable bracket. The larger 'C' shaped one is required for the head bolt under the dog bone engine mount.

You can, except for the one under the throttle cable bracket. The larger 'C' shaped one is required for the head bolt under the dog bone engine mount.
Unfortunately I only have the one and only set of both I can find is in Croatia and I don't want to wait that long to get it. I'll remove the throttle cable bracket and the dog bone mount if I have to just for the retorque of those two bolts.
Edit:.........
Upon closer inspection, I see that it's the actual cast of the cam box where the dog bone mounts that makes it impossible without the larger 'C' shaped tool. Well that sucks!
What was Fiat thinking?😒

Last edited:
With a chop saw and arc welder it's pretty easy to make whatever offset you want. Just be certain to maintain the centerline. Best to use a 12 point socket. The 850 motor needs one below the water outlet/thermostat and they're difficult to find.

Just be certain to maintain the centerline.
I agree. Otherwise the torque readings will be way off due to leverage changes between the ends of the wrench. I've seen a couple of commercially made ones that do not do this and wonder if they provide the instructions how to recalculate the torque readings to gain the desired net setting.

Example of what this refers to:
1712020.png

Back