Fiat 850 coupe dreams

It's very cool, except for the spare tire hanging out of the front facia? What's that about? Plus, that owner doesn't seem to drive very well... Very squirrelly and all over the road...

You would have to ask the Abarth factory, that's the way it came brand new. Kind of cool actually.

It's very cool, except for the spare tire hanging out of the front facia? What's that about?
On the Fiat 850 Coupe, the radiator is in the engine bay in the rear & the spare tire is stowed vertically at the very front of the trunk, just behind the nose panel. The Abarth OT2000 Coupe has a front-mounted radiator, so the spare tire is mounted horizontally below it, instead. This also helps to balance the front-rear weight ratio & keep the center of gravity low.

I think the spare tire setup was likely influenced by what was used on the Renault Dauphine, Florida & Caravelle, which (in my opinion) pulled it off much better using a front concealment panel/tire tray arrangement.

I love it. Very much race car function over style look.
Considering the bumpers Fiat put on the later Xs and 124 spiders, it's not like design houses can do much better.

Back