FIAT / CHRYSLER 'Strategic Alliance'

And Fiat has bragging rights...

to being the greenest car company on the planet; highest corporate fuel economy and lowest dust-to-dust carbon footprint. May not mean much everywhere but could reverberate with the folks who buy Prius (what is the plural for Prius-Prii?)
They invented common rail diesel too.

It's not as if they have to outsell everyone-just need to get a reasonable market share and hold on to it. I think Ryan's comparison with the Korean companies is pretty astute. It is a bit hard to see how Alfa and Fiat are going to share sales venues though;on the face of it they do not look like good stable mates.

Most Fiat dealers I saw in the UK were colocated with Alfa dealers on the same lot or even on separate sides of the same showroom, they seemed to be doing ok. It's doing that with Fiats, Alfas on one end and a Chrysler 300 or Dodge Ram truck on the other side that I am wondering how that's going to work out :confuse2:

I don't mean to sound so negative about it all guys, when I've said upstream how tough I think it's going to be for them overcoming the perceptions left behind from the 70s/80s, stigmas of old etc - I personally am a huge fan of Fiat (do I even need to point this out? lol!) but I only say those things because that perception does still exist here in force, and even in some younger folks I've seen it perpetuated down from elders like some kind of "fix it again" urban legend. I've spoken to many a young person who never even saw a Fiat before but knew immediately a number of Fiat jokes... :rolleyes:

Now if Fiat shows up with the 500 or whatever else and sells cars that the public witnesses defy all the old catchphrases, can hold their own and be at least on a par with other small cars in terms of reliability, quality, appeal etc, then they'd be on their way to at least developing a more solid foothold in the market. I think they could do it. I just remain skeptical over the amount of work its going to involve...

And, as I read more editorals...

on this merger, the, "Fix It Again Tony" jokes and such always comes up. I think this will never go away, even when these old timers are two foot in the grave. The automotive media is simply relentless and will never stop using what they can to sell a story to increase readership. I just don't know how FIAT can over come this automotive media inertia of factual distortion. FIAT should send "Guido" after these writers and deal with them properly.

Hmm

Why not just driv in with our X1/9s and Spiders and say how we have driven them all along with carefree reliable miles and still running like a top!!:)

Bernice

Perhaps they should capitalise on the real meaning of the FIAT logo.
:italia: Fabrica Italiana Automobili Torino :italia:
Cool , high tech. and a little language learning. :whistle:

he he

Yeah my spider has about a foot of snow on the convertible top!!:excited: Still need to fix. I know I shoulda cleaned out my garage!

Brilliant idea about the name it even has the same initials in English!

Fabrication Automobiles International Transportion:italia::italia:
or Torino

I'm not sure if the real meaning of FIAT would make a difference in the US market.

After watching how FIAT blundered and floundered in the US market partly due to how FIAT's Agnelli & some management viewed the US market, what they did was bound to fail and their old reputation still haunts them to this day.

Few car owners ever dissect their cars with a deep understanding of the designs and engineering involved, but may do base their judgment on their individual perspective rather than a much broader perspective.

We should remember building production cars are a business endeavor for profit and live or die on product sales and acceptance. No car company is exempt from these realities. FIAT, Chrysler and every car company are all involved in a battle for survival and market share. How well they do, depends on many factors that include public product image, perception, what the media says and individual owner experience.

OK... Bob... ya rattled my cage...

Did I mention it was 76 degrees today?

HAHAHA!

BTW... Mac once defined F.I.A.T. to be:

Ferrari In Affordable Trim... and that's the term I choose to use.

Give the customer a good warranty 10/100 and a good price...

i bet many of we all "still" Fiat owners will be the first ones to buy.I`m including myself for an Abarth 500,I`ll be more than happy to respond to everybodys questions and or jokes on the street.I have no problems with that.......lol:headbang::excited::nana:

Back