fiat engine swap?

raph406

Low Mileage
this is just an idea, but i was wondering peoples thoughts for swaping the x engine with the new fiat 1.4 multiair engine with the 6 speed gearbox? Its used in the alfa mito. I imagine it would be expensive but it has an incredible power to displacement ratio. When fiats and alfas start to be sold in the US through Chrysler maybe it would be possible.
Yes? NO?

possible yes, just like any other engine swap you can make it work. I doubt they share the same engine mounts or axels, so at a minimum your looking at custom mounts and half shafts. Then the linkage modded to convert the trans from ff to mr.

I bet it will be the same work required to fit a honda B series motor, but a better fit overall.

i bet it would'nt be easy, but i think it would be alot better than putting some stupid honda engine in one. i love the revy little engine in the x already, if i had to swap an engine it would probly be that.
I saw someone who put in the alfa v6 from the 164, which is an amazing engine, but it looks like he had to sacrifice his trunk.

did you change it?

before the converted powerpoint didnt work. It was part of the reason I converted the b16 swap in a different manor (http://autox19.com/b16 . but now I can actually look though this method!

odie

im not a big fan of japenese cars, they make good motors, but there just kind of lifeless and dull, all looking the same, i would by far rather have the normal fiat engine then a honda or toyota engine in it. Ive just took apart a honda civic engine, and in the middle of a ****ing toyota 4runner, and its such a pain in the ass.
Its probly a great engine, but i just think that someone should keep to italian engines, i absolutly hate it when people feel like they need to take a alfa spider or fiat spider, and put a ford 460 v8in it.

Stupid honda engine, hmm ? Kind of close minded there I think. They are sweet little motors. I saw a nice alfa spider one day on sunset, I also heard a nice mean rumble of a v 8 somewhere near. Tracked the sound of the v 8 to the Alfa to my surprise. What a sweet setup, looked like a factory install. Im sure it was a hundred times more fun to drive then a stock spider.
My son has a 95 integra highly modified, that thing is a blast to drive.

Last edited:
My son has a 95 integra highly modified, that thing is a blast to drive.

Does your son do the engine work himself? I agree Honda does make a "solid" motor and when tuned a pretty fast one as well BUT I hate working on them. I would rather change a timing belt on an X over a 16 valve Civic motor anytime :)

Actully , when he breaks it , it ends up in my driveway and I fix it. He blew the head gasket, I fixed it. Sent the head out for a rebuild cause the guy that worked on it last time did a micky mouse job. He is my yougest, 21, never would touch the car for repairs till about a year ago. Now he does a lot himself. My oldest son, 23, does almost anything if he has the right tools and dosent loose his cool. He has had greasy hands since he was 16. Its true working on hondas is no fun for me, but thats the point. When properly set up they dont need much work. I adjusted the valves after I reinstalled the rebuilt head on that integra, it was a piece of cake since it wasnt v-tech yet. When he blew it after it was v-tech, I repaired it and he paid his friend 40 or 50 bucks to make the adjustment. His friend is like a wizard with these cars, he is the guy that built the turbo honda motor I have. My oldest son has enough experience with these cars that most repairs are fast and easy for him.
100_0566.jpg

000_0001.jpg

Last edited:
yes stupid honda engine, they are a pain to work on, That is a sin to put a ****ing stupid cast iron v8 that weighs more than king kong in a beautiful spider, the engine it self looks amazing, its a sweet little twincam engine, that they have been making since the begining time. The engine, if you accutaly know how to tune it, does supply enough power for that car, oooh it cant beat a stupid ****ing little vtec ricer off the line with a ****in spoiler and gay dragon flames on it. but that is NOT the point, if you want to go fast in a strait line buy a camaro or some stupid ****.
You probly drive a subaru you ****ing hippie.

Dude! I'm rarely offended by anything...

but personal attacks are out-of-bounds. Period. If you didn't know, now you know.

Also, when you use "***ing" as an adjective, we all know what it means and it comes across as very immature, thus making any point that you were trying to convey lose a lot of credibility.

The words you use in intelligent conversation reveal as much about your character as it does your knowledge of the subject. You might want to think about that.

T

I think he stated somewhere...

...that he is in high school. Probably more of a maturity thing than an ignorance thing...but the way it comes across can certainly make one wonder.

HAHAHA, sorry but I cant help but laugh at the silly things this kid is saying. It makes me want to do the honda swap that much more.

Maybe he will come around after he realizes he made a mistake? He is just a little to gung ho right out of the gate. Everyone has a different take on things and you just cant go around shoving your ideas down someone elses throat.

Honda B & D series..

As delivered and raced at LeMons does not have a good finish record.

While ya get a lotta power out of them as delivered, they tend to spit con rods or pop head gaskets at LeMons.. I have seen so many grenaded Honda B & D series engines at LeMons...

This does NOT mean Honda builds un-reliable or problem prone engines, LeMons racing is good indicator of just how reliable and durable stock engines and etc really are. Endurance racing is brutal on any car.. and not the same as the stop light Grand Prix.

As for Honda or other drive train transplants in the X... what ever delivers reliable power with excellent power to weight and easy fit is fine. Folks that have been here for a while already know my opinion on this..

Back