Fiat to slash prices in U.S.

Small car sales are suffering. Look around you, what do you see on the roads? Marketing departments have done a great job at convincing the common consumer that 'bigger is better' and it's fashionable to drive a derivative of an agricultural vehicle as a daily driver. That perfect rugged image for the suburban housewives, as they head to the local shopping mall. It would be a financial burden for many, I know, but I look forward to $4 or even $5 a gallon gas, maybe even (finally) an increase in the gas tax, to return sanity to the automotive landscape.

American "consumer" motor vehicle market:

*BIG "Sport Utility Vehicles"

*BIG "Pick-Up Trucks" and/or Oversized Pick-up trucks.

*Crossover SUVs with over sized wheels.

*Tire BBQ_ing sedans with excessive driver aids (legal liability limiters really) a whopping price tag that are more often leased, not owned then disposed of after five years or so/

*Techno electric vehicles that are more electric powered techno-phones with wheels than driving experience vehicles.

*Vehicle connectivity matters as much as cup holders, isolation from the driving experience and road conditions. Essentially the functionality of said transpiration appliance is measured by lack of maintenance, social status, fashion statement, techno-connectivity, self-driving ability and all that.

How does Fiat 500 and similar fit into this market reality.?

Bernice

Nobody buys cars for road performance anymore. It's all about what electronic connectivity is available. That's why you see Vettes and Porsches in the right lane doing the speed limit and Prius' hauling ass in the left lane. I think it's why many of us like playing with old Fiats (and old other brands), we can get our tool therapy and take them out for enjoyable drives but when we need a daily driver we use "real" cars. I'd be really impressed if you could buy a new Miata or new 124 without any radio or connectivity, just a nice sport exhaust. Very sad when a touring bike pulls up next to you and instead of hearing a nice exhaust burble or dry clutch rattle you hear NPR on his blasting sound system.

I DON'T want to incite a RIOT but will just say...

DO NOT LOOK AT THE LATEST Motor Trend pick for the 2017 Car of the Year (COTY).

I am still ill three days later...

...but when we need a daily driver we use "real" cars
I try to drive mine all the time, it's put away now (blizzard and wonky clutch) but will be back out ASAP. I wonder what will happen to those who like to drive when the self driving world takes over? Will human drivers even be allowed anymore? Or only allowed if you pay the price (TAX)? I love the thought of driver-less cars and I love the thought of me snaking my way through them all with their occupants faces in their devices, not having to worry about them killing me. I HATE the thought of not being able to drive if I want to though. Today I get to drive back home in a blizzard and wouldn't really mind letting the car take me while I divert myself.

You will really love trying to zip down the road as all the driverless cars religiously maintain the posted speed limit in all the lanes. Will your driverless family bomb be able to haul a trailer with your now track day only Fiat?

American "consumer" motor vehicle market:

*BIG "Sport Utility Vehicles"

*BIG "Pick-Up Trucks" and/or Oversized Pick-up trucks.

*Crossover SUVs with over sized wheels.

*Tire BBQ_ing sedans with excessive driver aids (legal liability limiters really) a whopping price tag that are more often leased, not owned then disposed of after five years or so/

*Techno electric vehicles that are more electric powered techno-phones with wheels than driving experience vehicles.

*Vehicle connectivity matters as much as cup holders, isolation from the driving experience and road conditions. Essentially the functionality of said transpiration appliance is measured by lack of maintenance, social status, fashion statement, techno-connectivity, self-driving ability and all that.

How does Fiat 500 and similar fit into this market reality.?

Bernice

Cross over vehicle is all Fiat can offer to compete in the market you share Bernice. I guess I will NEVER be a big car guy.

Cross over vehicle is all Fiat can offer to compete in the market you share Bernice. I guess I will NEVER be a big car guy.
I like driving little cars, but I have always had one type of trailer or another to tow and need something big enough to pull it. I have a mixture of big-ish and small. At the house we have the following: 2011 Honda CRV, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2001 Honda CRV, 2001 VW Beetle, 1985 X1/9, 1978 X1/9 and finally a 1972 124 Sedan. We have the market covered. :)

I would love to find a good, used, Abarth 500 at some point.

From a connected brain cell standpoint if you buy a new one you better do it for the love.
whole lotta depreciation.
Probably the worst resale value out there.

I thought I would chime in here. My wife has a 500 convertible. It's a fun little car to drive, it handles great, reasonably quiet inside, but it is the most unreliable car we have ever owned. To elaborate, here is a quick list of problems:
  • Oil pan gasket.
  • Coolant leak.
  • Door handle broke off.
  • Steering column u-joint.
  • Shifter cable broke.
  • Clutch switch failed.
  • Lighting control module failed.
  • Jounce bumpers replaced.
  • Sway bar bushings.
  • Shifter knob broken.
  • Fresh air vent broken.
  • Both rear wheel bearings failed.
  • and I'm sure I missed a few.
Most of this stuff was fixed under warranty, and the warranty expired about a year ago, but I am a little apprehensive about what is is going to fail next. Having said all that, I would rather drive the little 500 than a "motorized hole in the ozone layer" Canyonero SUV.

I don't see the appeal of these huge pick-up trucks either. They sort of go against my "anti-excess" philosophy.

I saw a story the other day that the Fiat 500L was on the list of worst resale values for new cars. Now I can't find the article.

I saw a story the other day that the Fiat 500L was on the list of worst resale values for new cars. Now I can't find the article.
I am sure its 100% accurate. My 2014 has 10k miles and I would be *lucky* to get 10-12k. Dealers are asking 14k

I thought I would chime in here. My wife has a 500 convertible. It's a fun little car to drive, it handles great, reasonably quiet inside, but it is the most unreliable car we have ever owned. To elaborate, here is a quick list of problems:
  • Oil pan gasket.
  • Coolant leak.
  • Door handle broke off.
  • Steering column u-joint.
  • Shifter cable broke.
  • Clutch switch failed.
  • Lighting control module failed.
  • Jounce bumpers replaced.
  • Sway bar bushings.
  • Shifter knob broken.
  • Fresh air vent broken.
  • Both rear wheel bearings failed.
  • and I'm sure I missed a few.
Most of this stuff was fixed under warranty, and the warranty expired about a year ago, but I am a little apprehensive about what is is going to fail next. Having said all that, I would rather drive the little 500 than a "motorized hole in the ozone layer" Canyonero SUV.

I don't see the appeal of these huge pick-up trucks either. They sort of go against my "anti-excess" philosophy.

That is one of the largest laundry list I have seen yet. How many miles now?

That is one of the largest laundry list I have seen yet. How many miles now?

The car is a 2012 with about 125,000 kms (75,000 miles). The local dealership (Georgetown Chrysler) has been pretty good to us. They've stepped up and covered a few things they didn't have to, and reduced the cost on a couple of things that were just out of warranty.

Where can I order one of these Canyoneros? Living here in La-LA-Land I could sure use one. It seems "distracted driving" has taken an unexpected turn for the worse in the last month or so...

Naw, Virginia suburbs outside DC. Cold weather is here so most of the bikes are put away for the season. Bunch of sissys, I commuted on my bikes all year round.

Cesare... so very well written!

HA!

I am IMPRESSED!

Thanks Tony. You know, I know you remember the Maine and all (were you on the Maine?) but I do believe I've had an onslaught of crankiness lately. I believed I was immune from it for a few more years, but I've definitely entered a period of 'get off my lawn you kids'. I just want the roads back, free of moving monoliths blocking my vision of the curves. I daily drive the X at least three times a week with a 54 mile round trip commute. Some of that is through a glorious canyon...exhilarating way to start the day. But inevitably, one of those vehicles that Bernice mentions foils my plans. They must be playing a game I don't understand--how many times can we stab the brakes negotiating a 40 ft radius turn while doing single digit speeds. Bonus points fo sipping coffee or attempting to text while driving. Eight o'clock...gotta go.

Where can I order one of these Canyoneros? Living here in La-LA-Land I could sure use one. It seems "distracted driving" has taken an unexpected turn for the worse in the last month or so...

Canyoneros
Forty feet long and two lanes wide
Sixteen tons of American Pride
Canyoneros!

Simpsons stuff. Marge got one and got the worst case of road rage ever. I can't remember if her hair fit in the thing without it bending over.

Pete

Back