Fiat X/19 worth more than a Modern SL Mercedes

supply and demand?

There are a lot more people who would want to buy a Benz, but there are also a lot more Benzs to choose from. There are a lot less people who would buy an X, but most of them are already X enthusiasts, and there are less Xs. So, oddly, in the end, an X may be easier to sell. Clean car though. Gees you even got the elegant ladies in evening wear kneeling for the pic and still hasnt sold? If thats not indicative of "tough economic times"...

my step father is selling a sl 500, hoping for 17,000. car is mint with 72,000 miles.. a little older then yours.

Your father will be lucky to get 9000 bucks in this market for a perfect old benz 90 or newer... Unless its an 89 old body style those are going up in value...

even with the low miles...

...that is probably a few thousand high on that model (your dads). The 500Sl sold for about $100K new in 1990, but unfortunately that body isn't holding for some reason. I really don't get it, unless there are some heavy mechanical issues I am not aware of. I would hate to pay to fix that cool top mechanism should it puke! These are really great cars. I think the only thing going against JJs is the color. That color always looks dirty to me. Still should go higher than the starting price...that's a steal!!!

man, if only....

If only I didn't have too many cars already, if only I wasn't currently unemployed, if only....... I really liked those cars....

if only...............

Being an 89 will help

That body still does well. I had two earlier SLs of that body. Nice rides. The 1989 would be a 560SL. He should be able to get close to that price, if the car is pristine, detailed and complete w/documents and history.

i dont know much about mercedes, but he did have an 88 that he sold to buy this one because he said it had the biggest engine available. it is clean,. my mom complains because every time somethings not right, it goes to the DEALER to be fixed. he is selling it because he just bought a new fj toyota. he also had to sell his dodge 4x4 reg cab lond bed v 10, with a straight front axle. i think it was a late 80,s or early 90,s with only 25,000 miles. that was also mint, man i wanted that truck.

86, 87,88 and 89 SLs

are identical, with the exception of third brake light placement on the 1986-87. No difference in engine, or anything else for that matter. Newer body came out for 1990, ala 300SL (like JJ used to have) and the 500SL (which he just sold in this auction). The 300SL had an available 5 speed, which was pretty slick.

Last edited:
like i said, i dont know much about mercedes. my mom told me he sold the 88 to get the bigger motor. he just told me it was to have the last year made. thats what i get for listening to my mom.

Back