Fiat X1/9 lower engine mount conversion arm

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Note: this may be considered a commercial post.

EDIT - 03/31/23 - an updated offering can be found here:

Hi folks. Well I am proud to present my latest project:

As most of you know, X1/9 lower engine mounts came in two different types. The type without arm was used here in North America on the '75-'78 1300 models, and the 1500 carbed models from '79-'80. The type with an extension bar attached was used on the '74 1300 and the 1500 FI models from '80-'89. Other than the integral extension bar, the mounts are identical. The extension bar is used to support the exhaust system and must be present.

In other parts of the world, I believe the mount with arm was used on all models up to mid '82, and on FI models after that.

The mount design without arm is common to other Fiat models like the 128 series, and derivatives like the Yugo and Zastava. Thus they are still easily - and cheaply - available from a number of sources.

The mount design with arm was only used on X1/9 models. After almost 30 years since the last X1/9, they are now VERY difficult to obtain. And VERY pricy when you can find one.

The mount design is pretty good - certainly no worse than most cars - BUT unlike many cars this is the only lower mount on the engine and supports a lot of weight. And after 30 or 40 years, eventually the rubber sags under the weight and constant movement. And oil from various engine leaks eventually leads to it's sagging and failure. When it gets bad enough, the first sign will be the right driveshaft rubbing on the crossmember.

Due to the difficulty - and expense - of finding the proper mount with arm, I had an idea. And designed a simple "conversion bar" that magically transforms the mount without arm - into the mount with arm.

It simply bolts on using two of the existing holes in the mount.

The conversion bar is precision laser cut here in Canada from 1/4" steel. Finished with 4 coats of automotive chassis epoxy.

Although the existing bolts could be re-used (they thread in almost 20mm into the transmission) , I am supplying them with 2 new slightly longer bolts - to account for the thickness of the new arm. Bolts are grade 10.9 and are zinc coated and then yellow passified.

In stock form, Fiat used a cheap lock washer under the head of the bolts. I have heard of cases where these bolts have loosened off due to engine vibration - with disastrous results. So I have included 2 super trick Nord Lock washers. They are horrifically expensive, but I felt it was the right thing to do....

I have heard complaints of difficulty in lining up the bracket from the muffler into the two holes of the extension arm, so these holes are now - unlike the original - slotted for some mounting flexibility.

Even if your X has the mount without arm, this conversion bar could still come in handy. If you are converting to a FI engine and exhaust. Or if you have a custom exhaust or header, you should always support the end of the header or front pipe. Or using a euro performance exhaust that requires the support arm. Simply bolt this arm onto your existing engine mount.

The conversion arm kits (one arm, 2 bolts, and 2 Nord Locks) are finished and ready to ship.

Cost is $ 41 Canadian or $32 US. plus shipping (see below)

So...you can use this conversion bar with the engine mount (type without arm) of your choice. Easily available from many sources such as your favorite Fiat parts vendor or Ebay. Lots of them out there. But...beware...there are lots of sub-standard and poor quality mounts out there. Some have too soft rubber which will sag and fail shortly. Some are just from the Yugo era and will not stand up to the heavier 1500 engine and heavier 5 speed trans. A/C equipped X1/9s make matters worse. And apparantly there is even several batches of mounts out there that were made with the plate installed upside down !!

So I have acquired a quantity of proper mounts (without arm) from Italy. Specified by the manufacturer as the proper X1/9 1500 mount. Uprated firmer rubber. And the pin has been doubled welded for extra security.

While supplies last only $51 Canadian or $39 US.

I have a few in stock ready for shipping. And more on order from Italy. I have been told "soon" but who knows the Italian translation of that....

Shipping costs:

Arm kit: to Canada $12
to USA $11 Canadian or $8.50 US
to UK and Europe $40 Canadian via surface or $50 via air
to Australia $44 Canadian via surface or $54 via air

Mount only: to Canada $13
to USA $16 Canadian or $12.50 US
to UK and Europe - too much (see below)

Combo arm kit and mount: to Canada $14
to USA $20 Canadian or $15.50 US
to UK and Europe $44 Canadian via surface
or $67 Canadian via surface.

For other locations in the world, please inquire.

Payment via Paypal please

Note to Canadian customers. You must add the appropriate HST depending on your province. Please PM for details.

Note to USA customers. You will pay no duties or taxes on these items. I will accept payment in Canadian or US funds as indicated above.
If paying in US funds, please note;
Arm kit including shipping only $40.50
Mount including shipping only $51.50
Combo including shipping only $86.50

If you have several X folks in your area, I would be happy to combine shipping to one location. Shipping would be WAY cheaper. You could each pay individually.

Note to UK, European, and Australian customers. I realize the above shipping rates are just ridiculous. Canada post has VERY high rates. Above are the cheapest prices for a service that has tracking and delivery confirmation. There are...much cheaper options that are not tracked or confirmed. If I know you and you are okay with that, just PM me for details.

However....because of the above high shipping rates outside of North America... I have made arrangements with the good folks at Eurosport in the UK. They will be stocking my conversion arm and will be able to service the UK, Euro, and Aussie market with quick and cheap air service. The UK post office has very good rates.

Eurosport UK already have stock on hand for immediate shipment. Here is a link to the conversion arm on their website:
http://www.eurosport-uk.net/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=656

Now before you all start running for your calculators and googling exchange rates, I can tell you that their selling price is within a $ or so of mine. I have been told that shipping on the arm will be in the region of 3-4 English Pounds within the UK, or about 12 English pounds to Europe or Australia. They are also able to supply a good mount or a combo kit , at a great price.

As a final note, in appreciation of this forum, I will donate $2 to the Xweb coffers, for each conversion arm sold to an Xweb member, by me, up until August 31, 2015.

Thanks for looking. Any questions, just post here or PM me.

Thanks, Doug

EDIT - November 2017 - at this time, I have plenty of conversion arms still available, but sold out of the nice mounts.

Last edited:
Great idea!

And perfect timing for me. Since I didn't need the engine or related parts from my '81 (as it has become my K20 project), I sent the head to Matt for his performance upgrade. Just got it back and installed it on my '79 that I had converted to fuel injection a few years back. I had stayed with the stock '79 exhaust system but was never happy with it, so I swapped in the whole '81 system. That meant using the lower engine mount from the '81 which as you noted, had collapsed. Now I can put back the nearly new lower mount that I had before and use your arm to connect to the exhaust system. Love it :dance: I'll take one ASAP.

Doug! Sign me up for one complete kit and mount.

I'll need this for my custom turbo exhaust (when I finally get around to it!!!)

Perhaps you'll be out in Woodbridge soon and we can connect.

This BTW is a great product. Thanks for making it!!

Nice job again Doug

Hey Myron I didn't see you at the Woodbridge show on Wednesday it was a good turnout

Rick

Hello Doug,

You are amazing and you have unbelievable skill and creative idea also attention to detail. :worship:

I'm in for conversion arm kits + the mount.
Doug, Thanks for your great involvement in our X family.

I PM
Regards
Yves

Hi Rick - you're in Holland Landing?!? No way! My friend lives there, he has an Alfa Romeo Guilia Super (white sedan) and a Lancia Fulvia (also white). His name is Fabio.

I wanted to come out on Wednesday, but I just got back from vacation and didn't have any energy left.

I might next week though!

sry I have to disagree in part.

Not all non-Arm mounts are equal. There is an old post about it. Search doesn't work well on phone. I also think I have both types bolted together somewhere stashed in my garage and there is a differrence... perhaps after market manufacture variance??? Don't know but I ran into problems with drive shafts rub on my 87 when I tried to use the "wrong" mount.

Reply...

Don't really know what you are dis-agreeing about........

I stated clearly that that while all non-arm mounts are SUPPOSED to be the same, yes in reality they are not. Yes, there been many posts about this here in the past. Yes, there are many substandard mount out there. And yes, even some mounts that were assembled incorrectly from the factory - the mounting plates were welded on upside down !! Yes, those mounts will allow the driveshaft to rub on the crossmember - even when new. I'll even bet I know where you got the mount in question......

But.....there are also lots of good quality proper fitting mounts out there for very reasonable money. As long as you get one of those you will be fine !!!

And that is the reason I also brought in some good, uprated mounts for sale along with the arm.

Thanks folks for all the kind words and orders. I have already shipped some of them out. Hopefully they will be fitted soon with reports in case you are still doubtful.

i have responded to all those who have inquired. If you haven't heard from me then a PM has gone astray. Try again or post here.

Thanks, Doug

The quality is there

Today I received "Conversion arm kit + mount" from Doug.

I confirm the quality is there, the arm is a razor cut and the paint finish great also.
The mount supply by Doug is a great quality, the rubber is not "Dry". Sometime,OEM product are Aged parts and the rubber was dried, not the case with the part supply by Doug.

Also I really like the detail attention for the fastener ... "Nord Lock washers" no bolts loosened off with that type of lock washer.

Thanks Doug, great design and quality.

WGxW2vL.jpg_FULL

NHKEliP.jpg_MOUNT

EoTmH1A.jpg

Bracket installed

I got the bracket kit from Doug a few days ago and found time to install it today. Only took me about 45 minutes. Here is a picture of the stock '81 mount in place.
Engine mount ext bracket install 02.JPG

Here is a picture of the original mount with the extension arm next to the almost new mount that I had on the car before I switched to the '81 exhaust system, along with Doug's bracket kit. You can see how collapsed the original mount was.
Engine mount ext bracket install 03.JPG

I installed the "new" mount and fit Doug's extension bracket. What a perfect fit! :dance: So nice to get an aftermarket part that actually fits exactly as advertised with no modifying needed. Here is it in place.
Engine mount ext bracket install 04.JPG

All I can say is attaboy, Doug! Quality all the way. 👍 Now all I have to do is to change out those rusty CV bolts. Not sure what happened to those.:hmm:

Last edited:
Support required when changing the mount.

Slightly off topic, but can anyone qualify exactly which components need to be supported when removing this particular gearbox mount?

I'm assuming just the gearbox (which will be somewhat supported by the engine in any case).

I need to do the job o n the weekend and only have access to a trolley jack.

Cheers,
Dom.

Just a jack

It is best to jack up the rear of the car first and put jack stands under the rear supports in front of the rear wheel housings. Now you have room to slide under the car. Then use the jack under the transmission. Just jack it up enough to take the load off of the lower engine mount. You can then undo the bolts from the mount and either change the mount or just add the extension bracket with the new bolts from Doug.

1300 and 1500 mounts not the same

MWB will not refund if you order 1300 mount and find that it does not fit 1500. Drive shaft CV joint will drag on cross member.Ask Matt

I would like a complete set ,if you could help me out I would appreciate it very much ,if possible maybe you can bring them along to La Paloma Tuesday .

Hey Dom

I took mine off to do the rear suspension and nothing is supporting it.. the engine is staying up.
Are you doing this in albury? If you need a hand message me and ill give you my number
Nick

long sleeping thread... but another satisfied customer.
Replacing the one on my '82 took quite a bit more than 45 minutes, thanks to the 2 bolt holes in transmission being stripped.
Doug was great with advice and encouragement for the in-situ fix.
Photos here:

Back