Fiat X1/9's do spin if pushed hard enough...

...witness the following on YouTube, filmed by me last week.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNTdeDmRxbM"]YouTube - Fiat X1/9 spins at Marulan[/ame]

It happens...

That car sways and looks like it has a stock suspension setup. I've spun mine before and it's lowered an inch with konis and addco sway bars. Any car will if pushed hard enough.

Braking and turning

Braking AND turning :shock: - some might say that's a recipe for a spin !

I remember the first time I ever drove an X...

My friend said while we drove it around an empty parking lot "try and make it spin out!!" so kept forcing into corners pedal to the floor and nothing! Then in the next turn he punched my right leg and I let off the gas then we spun like crazy!!!

Not the funnest way to learn that rule but I never forgot it.

-T

My friend said while we drove it around an empty parking lot "try and make it spin out!!" so kept forcing into corners pedal to the floor and nothing! Then in the next turn he punched my right leg and I let off the gas then we spun like crazy!!!

Not the funnest way to learn that rule but I never forgot it.

-T

Now thats a video I want to see...LOL...

Probably could have saved it by unwinding the wheel and tromping the loud pedal, as long as you had done so early enough. Hindsight, huh? ;-)

Only so much trail braking a rear heavy car will let you get away with.

Fun video. You're a good sport for posting it. Glad none of my less-than-heroic car moments are on tape. :)

///Mike

Umm, Mike...

..I was the one filming it... not driving. My son Glenn however (Racing_05 on this forum) is in the blue helmet in the passenger seat.
The guy who was driving is very happy to have it on YouTube though. He's the good sport.

Ciao,
Warren

Standard rear engine handling feature

Never completely get OFF the GAS when pushing hard at the limit in a corner in a rear heavy car. Many a Porsche driver has "backed it into a corner". I did it myself in my first car ( a '67 Fiat 850 ) in Dead Man's Curve ( from the beach Boy's song.) That is a turn at the East end of Muholland Drive Los Angeles . ( some claim it is elswhere off of Sunset Blvd) . The reverse is true with a front drive car. Add gas and it tightens the corner, less gas and it pushes. As a Body shop guy we have had several Ford GT's ( rear engine with a lot of power and engine braking) that have done the same thing, usually totalling the car.
Here is a youtube that has Deadmans curve in the backround. This is the final clip of a movie made in '81 about a high school classmate of mine. He is the technical advisor and the "King of the Mountain"
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynMbNsDCfY"]YouTube - King of the mountain 1981 (final run)[/ame]

Last edited:
They do spin, especially on ice.

I've done 360s on two occasions. The thing is, it always ended up pointing straight ahead. The spins are about the center of mass and very "controlled"; no darting off in one direction or side sliding. So as long as you have room enough you can guess where you are headed at least. Once I didn't have room. But in those days you could order up anew chin spoiler and grill.

Dunno about this steering wheel being on the wrong side. The problem Warren is as plain as the nose on your face. Your car's white. A red one would have taken it no problem.

Cheers. See you at Goulburn.

Bob, Good scene! I'm glad the credits were in that. I thought that was Harry Hamlin and Dennis Hopper! That was a cool Porsche!

Back