Finally photos

Mazinger

Daily Driver
I got a chance to see the car I bought in daylight. The Titanic, as I call it, as the real Titanic probably doesn't have as much rust as this. It's in great shape in certain ways and very bad in others, like; the pedals are immovable, the engine dipstick did not reach oil ( I did not have time to drain it to see if anything came out), the cooling system also empty. All not great signs, yet it is complete. It sat for 8 years in DC. The why they parked it story I'm not sure I'm buying. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=162133&id=605942764&l=f808b1662c

The real question is, why did this X get abandoned / parked?
This one might have a long way to go before it's well back on the road.

Bernice

I got a chance to see the car I bought in daylight. The Titanic, as I call it, as the real Titanic probably doesn't have as much rust as this. It's in great shape in certain ways and very bad in others, like; the pedals are immovable, the engine dipstick did not reach oil ( I did not have time to drain it to see if anything came out), the cooling system also empty. All not great signs, yet it is complete. It sat for 8 years in DC. The why they parked it story I'm not sure I'm buying. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=162133&id=605942764&l=f808b1662c

if ever.

The story I got was that it was a daily driver until it could not pass inspection due to a headlight that could not be adjusted. That checks out as the bracket that holds the motor and light assembly in place is detached from body on one end, due to rust I'm sure. What I don't understand is why not get it fixed instead of parking it outside his house. It just doesn't make sense. I wish I could say the rust is fixable but I'm not convinced, and not having any real experience painting car and doing body work doesn't help.

damn

Without seeing pics of the suspension mounting, and other vital areas it's hard to say for sure...but that one looks like a goner. Unfortunately with how cheap X1/9's are, it's going to be wayyyy less expensive (and much easier) to just find a good body in need of the good parts this one has to donate.

Unless your long lost best friend or relative gave this to you as a gift, or you lost your innocence in it....I'd save myself the PITA

I hope this doesn't dissuade you from putting it to good use! I'd find another one with bad parts/good body and make an ultimate X from the pair!

:2c:

tarp ??

Was the car covered with the tarp for a long time? This traps the moisture and the car would never get a chance to dry out. I advised my cousin years ago not to do this, but he did. In one winter numerous parts under the hood were already rusting a lot.

Not having any real experience painting or doing body work

Don't worry about it, by the time you're done you'll have lots of experience...
If you have the will you'll make it.
Here is something I posted in the NFC:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeAFEZSL7U&"]YouTube- 1965 NSU Sport Prinz - Launch - 24.4.2010[/ame]

Best of luck

If the mechanicals are sound...

And you feel its safe to drive, I would just do the minimal patch work that you are ok with and have fun with it. The few pics of the interior and the engine area look good. Then when another late model FI car comes along you can worry about swapping parts.

I stressed a ton when I first got my 86 as it is rusted pretty bad in places but also has some really good mechanicals, low miles and great interior. Then I just said "what the hay". I got it running well and simply enjoy driving it. When another one comes along, then like you I have some good parts to swap into it!

Have fun and enjoy the spring weather in VA - I miss it!

I wonder what that steering wheel is from. Looks OE for something but it isn't OE for an 87 X is it? Your heater controls are different from my 86 too.

Looks more like it's an 87

I wonder what that steering wheel is from. Looks OE for something but it isn't OE for an 87 X is it? Your heater controls are different from my 86 too.

rather than an 86. That style of heater controls are for the AC equipped Xs. Used to be square white buttons, I like these better. Non AC cars just have levers.

Back