First AutoX today

Eastep

True Classic
I finally after 10 years or so have gotten around to autoX-ing one of my cars. Today was the last race for the season (in my area at least) so I decided its now or never. Shortly after I was registered, JimMW rolled up in his X (awesome!, fellow X1/9 tech and race help). Then not five minutes later, low and behold a recognizable MR2 pulls in by way of flatbed trailer. It was Steve Holscher. I knew today was going to be epic. After walking the course and tech inspection I met up and chatted up with Terry, Steve's wife (congrats again you 2) and we quickly began chatting about X1/9's and racing and she had only nice things to say about Steve (whom I still hadn't met in person yet) Shortly after Steve arrived and give me plenty of tips and help for upcoming run, and who better to learn about autocrossing in X1/9's then from Steve. He even loaned me a proper tire gauge so I could ditch the stick type I was using and suggested what psi I should be running. Fast forward to run time , and I opted for an instructor to ride along on my first run which was both smooth and clean with a time of 97.xx (most cars were in the 70's-80's) . My second run was solo & clean with a time of 92.xx Third run was was 88.xx (also clean) ranking me 3rd in class STS. Then what was shaping up to be my smoothest and quickest run was ruined by a fuel starvation after a long sweeper due to derbies in the carb from outside or more likely deteriorated fuel lines rendering me dead on track for several seconds quickly followed by red flags after I give the "I'm done" sign to a corner worker which gave me a 127.xx for that run :wall::cry: Oh another highlight was the ride along in an 07 Aston Martin Vantage I was given by another driver :headbang:
heres a few pics and the only video shot was of the ill fated 4th run :censored:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlnA01LNX38"]YouTube - First AutoX[/ame]

Thanks again Jim,Steve,Terry and Joel (Aston martin) for a great first auto X. :thumbsup:

DSC02253.jpg

DSC02259.jpg

DSC02263.jpg

DSC02265.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

DSC02301.jpg

DSC02321.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

DSC02313.jpg

DSC02319.jpg

DSC02310.jpg

DSC02307.jpg

DSC02302.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Mike

It was good seeing you on Sunday. I'm glad you had a good time and were able to improve with each run. I guess I'll be seeing you next year.

I was going to put my own thread up the weekend, but will just steal some space here. I've been campaigning my X locally for this season (my first with it) and this was my last event for the year. Nothing has officially been announced yet, but I think I finished 2nd on total points for the season in STS. A lot of CRX's (edit: and other competitors in general) showed up this weekend that typically weren't there... unfortunately Mike and I dropped lower in the standings for the day after they ran in the heat after us.

It was great meeting Steve and his wonderful wife. They're very nice people and if anyone here has an opportunity to meet them I highly recommend it. Steve gave me a ton of suggestions and tips for coaxing more power out of the car so I'm going to have some stuff to work on over the off season. Steve, thanks again for coming and all the advice. I'll look forward to seeing you at some events next year.

The Aston Martin belongs to my cousin. It's a cool car and gets a lot of attention wherever it goes. I was hoping to drive it but we didn't have time for fun-runs. Maybe next year. He did let me take it out on the roads once unsupervised after he first got it... funfun.

b217523911.jpg

Mike seems to have the picture front taken care of, so I'm not going to add anything. I have some videos on my YouTube if anyone cares to check it out. Be forewarned, my camera mount is cheap and moves around a lot... quality isn't great. I typically only post my best run from the each day, but there are a number from this season and last year.

Link to Jim's YouTube.

There are also a TON of photos from Saturday at my region's website:
http://www.scca-susq.com/photogallery/10.10.23AutoXgallery/index.html

Last edited:
JIM & MIKE... GREAT STUFF and congrats!

Jim... that camera shake actually ADDS to the excitement and as I was trying to determine your speed, etc... I see that you find the NEED for a tach unnecessary!

HAHAHA!

Reminds me of Raul Julia in the movie "Gumball Rally" where he tears off the rear-view mirror and and says something to the effect... "What's behind us, is NOT our concern..."

A great day for you both and Steve and Terrie are some of the finest folks on THIS planet and a few others...

BTW... Steve did mention that I taught him everything he knows about autocross... right?

Last edited:
Funny Tony,

Steve didn't mention that. I'm sure it just slipped his mind.:nana:

Regarding the tach - Whenever I autocross the fuse for the gauges blows, so I just take it out before the event and put it back in after. Problem solved - haha. You're right though, I don't feel the need... I just wind it out until it starts sounding scary, then I shift. (I'll seriously try to track down the problem, one of these days.)

For speed: This past weekend I think I flirted with 60mph a few times, but that's about the ceiling for me on these courses.

HAHAHAHA... on many counts...

I love your attitude...

Steve didn't mention that. I'm sure it just slipped his mind.:nana:

Yeah... once I told him all this stuff he's just all into himself...

Regarding the tach - Whenever I autocross the fuse for the gauges blows, so I just take it out before the event and put it back in after. Problem solved - haha.

Problem SOLVED??? HAHAHA... or just "displaced" for awhile...

You're right though, I don't feel the need... I just wind it out until it starts sounding scary, then I shift. (I'll seriously try to track down the problem, one of these days.)

You should let Steve drive your car once... I believe he thinks ANY stock X1/9 can rev to 9500 and still drive home. And he's proven it to several folks... Talk about SCARY!!! HA... and I didn't show him that one!

For speed: This past weekend I think I flirted with 60mph a few times, but that's about the ceiling for me on these courses.

You have one of those 85 mph Speedos I assume... and it looked and felt like 60 or better at times. Nice course, BTW, maybe a few tighter turns... but a better faster run overall than many others I've seen lately... If they get too long and fast... then ya gotta go to an MR2 like Steve hadta do... (I didn't tell him to do that either. I don't know WHO he's listening to now!... HA!)

Good chattin' with ya!

Ditto on the projects for winter courtesy of Steve H. I'm actually gonna tear my carb apart today and clean it all out. Lines will be replaced soon and a switch from mechanical to electric fuel pump will take place before spring begins along with whatever else I'm allowed to do per rules. Oh and for the record I miss-typed the place stadings by run. it was on the 2nd run I was in third place 3rd run I was in 4th. Jim, I think was in 2nd, then the 3rd heat began and it was all over

Mike... on the carb...

Also look for evidence of the float RUBBING as well as its drop & float height.

As for cleaning... best to use a good soak tank of carb cleaner and then BLOW out all the passages extremely well. I dunno HOW many hours I spent chasing down little bits of crud over the years!

will there be scuff marks on the float if its been rubbing? Unfortunatly I don't have a soak tank or even a bucket clean enough to use, so I'll be doing the work on a little work bench. No compressed air either so just cans of duster and carb/brake cleaner. Thanks for the tip on the float

Mike...

Seriously... go to a local parts store and buy a gallon carb cleaner tank.

I'm not exactly sure of the terminology here... but its usually a gallon can with a lid and a screen tray to put your parts in, full of "carburetor cleaning acid"! It runs about 12 - 20 bucks.

You soak the parts for about 30 minutes to an hour... then rinse and blow them out.

The method in which you plan to use only caused me more trouble because I would get stuff loose and then it would clog again... I guess from the unseen passages.

After soaking the carb as I described... no more problems.

In lieu of a a compressor... I've used "straws" from WD40 cans and blown them out by mouth... usually squirting acid in ones eye or face... so be careful. I've also used WD40 in the can too... then rinse with SPIRITS or paint thinner.

If you are gonna continue with autocross, ya might consider an air tank to take with you to regulate the tire pressures... and a small compressor to fill it with at home. Cheap stuff from Harbor Freight... and then ya can also use the tank to blow out parts...

I have one of their 150 dollar 21 gallon upright compressors that does a lot of handy stuff...

As for the scuffing... yeah... either on the inside of the float bowl or on the float itself...

HTH...

okay cool, I'll check that out. The thing about compressors is, I have a colored history with them. I bought a really nice 32gal upright once, got into a pinch and sold it, then more recent I bought a 8gal rolling unit, it sat in the box for 2 years, and then only used it once or twice and sold it :rolleyes2: I'm thinking of getting a small 'pancake' compressor, and cigarette adapter and just bringing that to the races

Sunday at Hershey

Well, Jim and Mike have covered most of the day so I won't bore you by covering the same ground. But... Terrie and I had expected to find Jim at the event. But imagine my surprise when i find a 2nd X1/9, and a gold '78 at that, when we arrive. :headbang: Note: the first X1/9 I ever autocrossed was my gold '77.

I got to meet Jim and Mike, both great guys. I looked over the two cars and drooled a little. Jim's '80 is going to be a good autocrosser. Just needs some house cleaning under the hood. But its a nice, rust free, chassis and runs strong. I spent a lot of time drooling over Mike's '78. I have always liked the 1300s and his '78 looked so much like my '77. It brought back a lot of memories. And its a beautiful car. Its very original and has a very nice paint job. Mike, if the car ever turns up missing it will probably be in my garage.

The Hershey site is a nice big lot with lots of room, if a little rough. The course was pretty fun if not a little repetitive with multiple 180 sweepers and slaloms.

Below are a couple of my runs. The first is my 3rd and fastest but two missed shifts and a cone at the last gate before the finish, spoiled it. The second is my 4th run, my best clean run. As I noted, the lot was pretty bumpy as evidenced by my video. The MR2 is very stiffly sprung and you feel every little pavement seam. On a rough lot like this, the car beats you up pretty good.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZji3qgfs6M"]YouTube - Race-Keeper video: Hershey PA Autocross[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkGcWL7hdQo"]YouTube - Race-Keeper video: Hershey PA AutoX Run 4.avi[/ame]

I will probably be running more events up in Harrisburg next year so am looking forward to seeing these guys some more and watching their progress. Mike was off to a great start for his first event. He was smooth and confident and you could see him improving with each run. Jim still has a lot of potential in his car so he should be moving up too. Gee, maybe I could bum a run in one of their cars next season. :)

Last edited:
Awesome videos Steve, really puts how "fast" I was in perspective.

You're more than welcome to take my car for a run next year, any time.

Thanks for the kind words Steve, your welcome to drive my car as long as I can coax you to ride along on one of my runs and gimme some pointers :italia: Brooke and I were watching the vids of your run and I quote "wow, autocrossing is alot harder then it looks" "It looks easy from outside the car"

A word from Terrie...

Just thought I'd chime in, here. Thank you for the lovely compliments, Tony .... I'll pay you next time I see you! :)
Mike and Jim and Brooke, it was so nice meeting all of you. And thank you for your very kind words.
I know little to nothing about the technical aspects of auto-crossing, but I do enjoy and keep going back to the events because of folks like you. Your enthusiasm was so catching; it was exciting watching you both chew Steve's ear, soaking up his tidbits of advice like sponges. I've been following Steve around, watching him drive that little "tuna fish can", for almost 4 years now. I have come to know some of the finest people in the world at these events. I count you among them. It was great to spend the day with you on Sunday. Now that Steve has 'discovered' Hershey/Harrisburg again, I'm sure we'll be spending lots of time there. I look forward to getting to know you all better. Think .... by next spring, YOU'll be the experienced ones, and you might find yourself coaching ME, as a 'newbie'. Looking forward to it.
Blessings......

Thank you for the kind words, Terrie. It really was my pleasure to meet you both and I'll look forward to seeing you again in the future as well.

I think you'll have all of the coaching you'll need in Steve though, I wouldn't recommend taking advice from me in comparison ;)

HA... and this folks... is what its all about!

Thanks Terrie... you've summed it up well.

Hope to see you guys again soon.

A cry from the wilderness --

You guys are breaking my heart. Mike, you seem to be about a month ahead of me. For whatever wacky reason, I decided to try autocross again. The last time was 35(!!) years back, and it was just college fun in a bugeye sprite.

My car will be prepared beyond my capabilities, but I'm going to try to break in via a local club that autocrosses at the junior college. The last autocross of the season is at the Nashville Motor Speedway in November, but I probably won't be running by then.

Gee, will somebody start a sticky thread about basic autocross? I certainly don't want to show up with a "stick" gauge, but I'll be doggoned if I know what the "right" kind is.

I hope I find some folks like you down here. Most all the "vehicle" racing here in Tennessee consists of jacked up 4X4's with tractor tires running through the mud. -- But if you haven't been to a tractor pull, you've missed some serious fun!

Cheers,
-- Mike

Mike Gold, for what it's worth I use a stick gauge, and I'm sure I've seen others at events too. I'd like to get a proper gauge but when you get into this hobby/sport there are 1001 things to spend your money on and the budget (my personal one anyway) only stretches so far. Don't worry about being laughed at at an event for bringing the "wrong" type of tire gauge or anything petty like that, and if you're just getting back into it I highly doubt it will have any real influence on your times or ability initially. Anyone who does care about that sort of thing is either taking it more seriously because they're trying to compete at a higher level, or they're making fun and aren't worth your time. My opinion anyway.

Not that there's a problem with getting the proper tools & equipment if you want it, I just mean not to lose any sleep over it. I'll leave recommendations for gear like that and other tips to the pros on here who are much better than I.

I've only run with a couple different groups but generally everyone is very helpful, especially to those just getting started. I think most regions have instructors available for advice and ride alongs, and they offer novice walk throughs to get you started. The advice only starts to get scarce when you get better at it and start challenging them. ;)

Last edited:
I have a rope type tire gauge but I left it at home, and I need to double check the calibration. It was only $14.99 at autozone. I'll be racing more next year so I'm searching rules and planning mods accordingly.

Yeah Mike... as Jim says...

... and he also reflects what my son observed...

The others only start caring (about rules and mods) when you start WINNING!

Go have fun... if ya start taking it too seriously, you'll start missing out!

Back