First drive in three years went well except.....

79X19

True Classic
Finished installing the new water pump and new belt and adjusted the idle. Started her up and no leaks!! Took it for a ride around the block (first drive in over three years!!) and she was running great! She Stopped great and shifted great. Kept going around the block trying to get here up to temp and ended up putting a mile on the odometer. Then the last turn I went to down shift into second from third and grind!! She didn’t want to go into gear. I didn’t force it it as when you feel it and hear it you immediately lay off. I came to a stop and tried to put it into first. And grind. Then I tried to put it into second and a bit of grind and third as well. I got it into second and feathered the clutch to get me home. Once I got home and up my driveway I tried to cycle through the gears and no problems.
Question: could their be air in the system It’s a rebuilt pedalbox top to bottom. I pressure bled the system with the help of Paul. The clutch was the hardest to get to bleed but eventually we got it to function. It feels a bit soft the first half of the pedals stroke then more resistance the further toward the floor it goes.

Any suggestions of what it might be?

Attachments

• EFB9BF56-8012-4C27-BE91-89878B4FB328.jpeg
    EFB9BF56-8012-4C27-BE91-89878B4FB328.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1DC699BC-CA98-4C1D-91BC-D39C154404CC.jpeg
    1DC699BC-CA98-4C1D-91BC-D39C154404CC.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Finished installing the new water pump and new belt and adjusted the idle. Started her up and no leaks!! Took it for a ride around the block (first drive in over three years!!) and she was running great! She Stopped great and shifted great. Kept going around the block trying to get here up to temp and ended up putting a mile on the odometer. Then the last turn I went to down shift into second from third and grind!! She didn’t want to go into gear. I didn’t force it it as when you feel it and hear it you immediately lay off. I came to a stop and tried to put it into first. And grind. Then I tried to put it into second and a bit of grind and third as well. I got it into second and feathered the clutch to get me home. Once I got home and up my driveway I tried to cycle through the gears and no problems.
Question: could their be air in the system It’s a rebuilt pedalbox top to bottom. I pressure bled the system with the help of Paul. The clutch was the hardest to get to bleed but eventually we got it to function. It feels a bit soft the first half of the pedals stroke then more resistance the further toward the floor it goes.

Any suggestions of what it might be?

The clutch operating arm in the bell housing should have at least 1-1/8" of travel at its tip, or for another judgment of movement, should come within 1/4"-3/8" of hitting the bell housing casting, when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. Trapped air in the hydraulics would compress and would therefore steal travel from the operating arm--movement it needs to fully disengage the clutch so smooth gear changes can take place.

When I bled the clutch system in my 77, it took four bleeding sessions to get it functioning properly, all done with pressure bleeding. It got better each time. Just keep at it.

Thanks all. I'll keep at it as I have been for the last three years!! Guess I'm in good company as we all have been working on these baby's to get them back on the road.

Bled the clutch in the traditional way, no vac no pressure and had bubbles of air escape. I also adjusted the nut outward on the slave cylinder and the action improved greatly. Took it for a 3 mile spin and no problems!!! Shifts were clean and crisp with no hint of grind. Feel pretty confident the system is fully functional. Feeling pretty great right now. I can take it to the body shop now and get quotes on paint work!!!

Same happened to me a long time ago. It was air in the lines from a very young version of me never checking the fluid levels!

Back