first testdrive

martijn

X addicted
After the paintjob and rebuild, today i took the first testdrive. The car beformed great but the exhaust is very loud. i need some more insulation. If anyone has tips to insulate the car better are appreciated.

Because you guys love pics, here are some (with a smiling dad at the wheel:)

pict3786.jpg

pict3787.jpg

pict3788.jpg

pict3789.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful job

I love the special touches, the white engine cover, the black door handles. Really looks sharp.

Could I ask how you did the bumpers? I love that the "blocks" are not on them like a normal '74 would have. How did you attach these?

All in all one of the best-looking X's I've seen.

these are original euro 1974-1978 bumpers. I removed the blocks and welded the holes. I use the original mountings. Euro bumpers are slightly longer dan 1974 us bumpers. I shortened teh front ones and weldee dan endcap on them. The colour is ibiswhite from audi as on the new R8

LOUD, huh... for a racer???

Welp... Forget about insulation until ya do the following.

1. Loose the twin carbs and open air cleaners.
2. Loose the open engine cover.
3. Loose the Faza exhaust system...

Then you can add insulation!

If it were me... I'd live with the first two as I love the sound of the wide open THROATS... but I have always disliked the SIGHT and SOUND of the Faza exhaust system. In my opinion... the four pipes are rather pompous. (It is also a rather HEAVY system to be hanging out back of an already rearward weight-biased car!)

If they were four STRAIGHT pipes with no baffles, that might be another story... but nothing would sound WORSE... even for a racer. It would drive him outta the cab in 15 minutes!

I think your best bet would be a 2 1/2 inch input to a Borla or Camero muffler and a single 2 1/2 or 3 inch exit pipe. It oughtta make a deeper and mellow-er, yet powerful sound that you should like an be easy to live with.

Just MY opinion and why I have it...

Have fun... and great work!

Th extra sound is pure the exhaust. It's not a faza but a bastuck from germany. I had the same set-up with an ansa muffler (with less noice). Loud isn't the problem, but there's a heavy "rumble".

I hadn't driven the car for half a year. Maybe i just didnt rebember how de x drived before.

Wow Tony, Im impressed. That was the first time your solution wasnt to take the parts off and send them to you.:grin:

I was gonna say if he shipped me the entire car...

... I fix it for him, thoroughly test it and get it back to him... sooner or later... HA!

HA... well that RUMBLE hasta be covering up...

... all the INTAKE noise also.

Ansa, Faza, Bastruck, whatever... I guess its the look and weight of any of those that turns me off first, even if they sound OK.

Take away everything I said... and take in everything YOU said... and insulation still ain't gonna help that much! I must be really loud!

Did ya that header and muffler JJ is selling...

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/56030/

... that is the kind of simple set up I prefer. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Tony

Sound insulation might make a minor difference in the overall cacophony going on back there, but changing the exhaust is the only way to fix it. Especially since there isn't much but glass in the way of your head and the noise maker.

The rear end will look better with the use of the factory exhaust cutout as well IMO.

Beautiful car, BTW. Very clean and tasteful. I think white is kinda a hard color to pull off on an X, and you NAILED it. If it were my car I'd lower the front end a touch, remove the mirrors and spoiler, lightly tint the windows (35-50%), and change the rear side markers to match the front, thats it! HA that sounds like a lot but for most other cars that list would be a LOT longer and more dramatic (including my own)

Thanks for sharing and have fun!

i,m going to make an indert for that hole so it won't be thist visible. I didn't wanted to weld it because then returning to a single exhaust is no option anymore

Absolutely stunning. Really makes me want to ditch my bumpers. I was looking them over yesterday to see how much work it would be. This car has shaken my bias against white Xs.

Back