Fixable X?? looking for input

hojo

Daily Driver
Just looking for thoughts on the windshield area, is this fixable? looking for advice on windshield area only

11538_186298133555_517493555_2864516_7718613_n.jpg

Yes but...

If you are asking, it's probably because you don't have much experience in doing that kind of work.

So, yes, it's possible. I did it on my car, but it was less spreaded. But is it worth it? I would say, yes only if you do it yourself or have a good friend with skills to do a nice job. If not, you will save money by keeping the car for parts and buying a good straight body.

Daniel Forest
Montreal, Canada

actually i do have experience with fab and with X's

but i havent touched one in 10 years, and i 've never seen or repaired this kind of issue. and everyone says run when they see rust around the windshield...any more thoughts would be great

thanks for the quick reply

I say "run" as well

everyone says run when they see rust around the windshield...

Ahhh... I answered assuming this was an X you already owned and were looking to save. If you are still evaluating a purchase, then "Run!!!" is my advice when I see the windshield frame eaten away like that. There can be a lot of other issues related to the water that has run in thorough the rust over the years.

So if you are thinking of buying it and you are not getting this X at a parts car price, keep looking.

Hey hojo

where in Ontario are you? The car looks familiar, seen that pic somewheres.

I have also repaired around the windshield... I guess I should have run :cool:

It's hard to tell how bad it is from the pic (rust looks worse on a light coloured car). You could just cut the bad out and replace pieces like it says in Matts ad or replace the whole frame. I just used good ole bondo. I tried to neutralize the rust and patched it up. I spray rust check into the windshield cavity to keep the rust at bay. I guess it depends on what your looking to accomplish and how bad you want an x.:wink2:

i would do a more thorough inspection upon seeing the car, but i was looking for some opinions on repairing what you can see in this photo around the windshield and whats involved.

i'm not looking to do a full restoration, something i can just fling around on the back roads

Anything can be fixed, for a price...

The cost to replace the cowl on that car is more than the value of the car. If it is free or nearly so ( the car that is) , brush on some rust converter and seal it up with some fiberglass. If you want it to look good, buy a nice car ( from the south ) and ship it home. I say this since the front of the fenders shows a lot of rust and I expect there is much more elsewhere.

Regarding the tag line, I have seen a $3million dollar Ferrari rebuilt from a heap of molten metal, as long as there is a vin number it is rebuilable. In that case $700k was a bargain.
Bob
pridebody.com

Last edited:
Something to consider.....

I've seen X's where you could push on that area of the windshield and it would literally give. Try it. If it doesn't do it, the approximation as to when it might do that is a good thing to think about. Rust control is another thing to think about. People that say run from rust will run from bad carpet too, so just decide for yourself what you are wanting/willing/capable of doing with the car and what you want when it is over with. You want to have a driver that you can enjoy? Then just get a 'best case' assessment of the overall condition of the car with an eye towards mechanical, do the area rust control, and drive it. If you want anything beyond that, probably look elsewhere unless this specimen is in A1 mechanical condition, which....seems doubtful.

Hard to say...

It's difficult to give advice to somebody you don't know. How much experience do you have? How old are you? Do you have money or you are broke but still looking for a project you could do for cheap?

The logic would be to run away. I would. I have sent car to the crusher in better shape than this one. You will invest a lot of time and money, better invest a little more in a better one to start with.

I had a Fiat X1/9 with lot of rust under the windshield. It 's a good idea to do a test indeed. Open both doors and remove the targa top. If you can push the windshiel easily inside of the car and you got the feeling you can push it until it fall down. Go hide somewhere! I repair mine but it was minor rust (at first sight it seems like a pinhole, in the end, it was worst than that, so I'm afraid of what this car could look like once the windshield is remove and the paint is removed to let you know what's left...

Daniel Forest
1987 white Bertone X1/9
1980 black Fiat X1/9
Montreal, Canada

Back