Flat towing an X1/9

AngeloX19

True Classic
Anyone have experience in pulling an X around by this method. I'm drawing closer to pulling my car of the road for good, but I don't have storage space for a proper trailer. I know one person who used this method, he never had problems, but I'm just looking for the greater concensus. I know that a tow dolly is an option, but the chatter on the web is to have the drive wheels on the dolly, and I'm not so comfortable with that. Thanks.

Last edited:
If you do use a tow dolly...

...remove the targa top while towing the car...otherwise it may blow off into the traffic behind you (the wind will catch the back side of it). Also may need to remove your front air dam, as it will be pretty low.

Car haulers from U-Haul have always served me well.

Towing

Hi Angelo,

Using a tow bar is OK BUT don't bolt it to the bumpers! They are not made to support pulling force. Don't ask me how I know. I was towing my Fiat with a tow bar and while turning the 1500cc bumper falled on the ground and the car went another way. Even the 2 strongs chains that were linked to the eyes under the bumper were broken. I was lucky nothing bad happened.

Other than that, I wouldn't tow bar or even dolly a car for a long distance. Too much stress on the supensions and wheel bearing and CJ joint, but for a few hours drive, the tow bar is a good solution as long as you find a good, safe way to attach it.

Daniel Forest
Montreal

I towed the Crab for 2000 miles with a bumper tow bar.

No problem. Just make sure you put the key in the ignition and unlock the steering wheel lock first. My first 2 miles on that tow were "interesting" without the key in. The ignition dioes not need to be turned on, the key just needs to be in the ignition).

Thanks for the input thus far. I need to clarify, that this will be an ongoing situation as driving this car on the street has lost it's appeal compared to driving on the slalom course, that and the street racing law turns me white thinking of having my car yanked by the cops for a week on their whim.

I've pulled the bumpers already and if nothing else I'll make a tow bar or track down a dolly. The majority of slaloms are within 20-60 minute drives from my place. My parents are 5 minutes away, they have space, but not for a car trailer.

Last edited:
I did it in '08

Drove my Vanagon as a tow vehicle with the Bertone behind to Mirafiori's Ore'08. Apart from some quality time with a trailer lighting harness getting the lights sync'd, it was a breeze. Removed the rubber pads on the bumper and mounted the tow bar brackets there. Later reversed the situation and you would never know. The wiring is still in there for the next time.

Be sure to turn the key on, but unplug the ign. switch. Also get the biggest safety chains that will fit. Most safety chains aren't big enough. mine were rated for 5K pounds. Each. :nod:

One more idea

Would a very small trailer, just big enough for teh X, fit at your parents house?
Here in Germany, we have "subcompact trailers" that are rated at only 1.5 tons (car and trailer) and are tiny. Maybe you could find something similar.

1203243946.jpg
info_anhaenger.gif

Ulix if you really love your car this is how you tow it...:wink2::eyepop: Ok but yea I know that is over kill. Papa Tony has a pretty need set up. I have seen him come to a few meets that were about 80 miles from home where He used that set up to roll up in style and then go for a drive with us and didnt worry about getting home after wards...

100_1315.jpg

100_1318.jpg

100_1319.jpg

Hi Ulix, I've looked at the utility trailer already, I still have the 4x8 I used for my bike, it's just not wide enough. No problems with with length (just barely) or weight (400 lbs to spare). Part of me wants to cut it up to create a dolly as all the hardware is there already and it would be cost efficient also, but that's another project I don't want right now.

Tony, thanks for posting that. I vaguely remember that topic on the old board after you jogged the memory. If anything I'd go directly into the shock mounts for the bumper, I vented the hood so accessing the bolts just needs pulling the hood off.

Yep... and the towbar...

... adapter if necessary, lights and all stow neatly in the rear trunk for cruising. Very little money also... especially with Harbor Freights sale prices as of late...

Have fun...

Back