Floor mat review

///Mike

'76 & '85
Wasn't all that impressed with the mats I got from ricambi automobila on ebay (nothing against the seller, but the mats aren't as heavy as I'd hoped). So I decided to try a set of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLOO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They're clearly not made for an X because they ship with a set of rear mats, which actually work rather nicely side-by-side in the rear trunk. The driver's side leaves a small gap towards the outside of the car but otherwise fits okay. The passenger's side extends up the wheel well a little further than a custom mat would, but it does help protect that area.

The mats themselves aren't super heavy, but I think they're heavier than the ricambi automobilia ones. They ship in a flat box, whereas the others ship rolled up in a small rectangular box, if that tells you anything.

I just got them today so I haven't driven the car with the mats in place, but they do have nubs on the back to help them stay put.

All in all I'm pretty happy with them. No way are they show-quality mats, but for daily use they've gotta be better than the far pricier ricambi mats. Not bad for the bucks, and it beats standing around in the local chain auto parts store trying to figure out which of their craptastic mats would fit best in an X.

Great communication from the seller too, so if you're in the market for some daily use mats Joe Bob says check 'em out (a little humor for those who know who Joe Bob Briggs is).

///Mike

Well... I was gonna say...

... they look like the mats I might find at WalMart or Pep Boys for around 20 bucks... but I certainly can't feel them.

Have you compared them to those found at these stores?

They are similar to the stuff I've been using for years... although I prefer all RUBBER though. Good find...

I've not compared them side by side but I'd say they're roughly auto store quality-- maybe a little better, depending on where you shop.

They're $20 mats, but you don't have to go through the guesswork of finding ones to fit at the parts store. Not perfect, but an easy cheap way to help protect the (NLA) carpet.

Apparently, finding really, really good quality mats for these Xs is lots harder than it is for German cars. Haven't tried the IAP mat$ but if I knew then what I know now I might have. Still, these will work for the time being. No idea what to do with the ricambi automobila mats....

///Mike

You could always send them back to the seller, but then there goes another $40 frittered away in shipping.

I would just report the disappointing quality in eBay feedback to warn others. Keep them for car shows and other "bling" occasions? Maybe put them on eBay yourself at half-price to recover some of the moeny spent?

$100 Mats

A few years ago I purchased a set from International Auto and have been very happy with them. They are made to the correct size and shape- not generic. Many colors to choose from.

Back