Flywheel question

Jeremy128

True Classic
I got the motor out of the X today (thanks Jim D for the help!).
I was planning on using the flywheel from the 1300 that is currently in the car. However, I recall soemone saying that you can get more torque out of the 1500 is I use the 1500 flywheel.
I was originally under th eimpression that I had to use the 1300 flywheel. I guess it has something to do with teh starter? If that is the case, could I use the 1500 flywheel, with the 4 speed tranny, as long as I use the 1500 starter? Or am I way off base with this?
Any explaination of the pros and cons of each flywheel woul dbe most appreciated.
T/M

Different strokes...

1500 flywheel/clutch:
Pro: slightly larger clutch disk.
Con: approx 5lbs heavier.
Requires: 1300 ring gear installed on 1500 flywheel,
and 1300 starter.

1300 flywheel/clutch:
Pro: approx 5lbs lighter.
Con: slightly smaller clutch disk.
Requires: 1300 flywheel and starter.

I've run 1300 setup behind built 1500 in racecar.
Bigass slicks, burnouts, powershifts, etc.
Works peachy-keen.

While the 1500 starter is probably more robust,
I don't believe it can be easily used with either setup.

So I'll be fine with the 1500 (bult, but not crazy) with the 1300 flywheel, and 4 speed?
I'm not racing the car. Its a daily driver/toy. I want it to be more fun than it already is. I do not want it to be so modified that its a pain in the ass for a daily driver.
Thank for the advice!

1600 Stroker /w 4 Speed

Jeremy, No doubt the 1500 components are stouter, however, i ran a 1600 stroker motor with a stock 1300 flywheel and clutch for years with no problems. terry

I got the motor out of the X today (thanks Jim D for the help!).
I was planning on using the flywheel from the 1300 that is currently in the car. However, I recall soemone saying that you can get more torque out of the 1500 is I use the 1500 flywheel.
I was originally under th eimpression that I had to use the 1300 flywheel. I guess it has something to do with teh starter? If that is the case, could I use the 1500 flywheel, with the 4 speed tranny, as long as I use the 1500 starter? Or am I way off base with this?
Any explaination of the pros and cons of each flywheel woul dbe most appreciated.
T/M

The ring gear, transaxle, & starter must all be the same. no mix & match. Early 4 speed boxes are even more complicated.

As already noted. The ring gear and starter must match the transmission.

However, to answer your other question, flywheels don't make torque. The have inertia. The heavy flywheel will help the car move from rest but that's the only benefit.

On a performance car you want a lighter flywheel. Less intertia lets the motor spin up faster and that improves throttle reponse and acceleration. Put the lightest flywheel possible in the car.

'74 flywheels are the lightest 1300 units. All others are nearly as heavy as a 1500. The difference is less than 2 lbs.

Back