Flywheel surface height

EricH

Eric Hamilton
Is there any minimum spec for the height of the friction surface of the flywheel relative to the outer deck where the pressure plate bolts?

I'm looking at two flywheels...

On one the friction surface is a few millimeters proud of the pressure plate bolt surface.

On the other the friction surface is pretty much level with the pressure plate bolt surface. Is this one still usable? Or has it been resurfaced once too often? It seems that if the friction surface is too low, the clutch will be prone to slip.

The shop manual doesn't have anything on acceptable limits here.

Yes

Is there any minimum spec for the height of the friction surface of the flywheel relative to the outer deck where the pressure plate bolts?.

Yes, there certainly is. This is called the "step height".

I am not at home right now so I can't check the service manual but I don't think the spec is published in the manual. I remember finding it in the Sach's Clutch spec book.

On the other the friction surface is pretty much level with the pressure plate bolt surface. Is this one still usable? Or has it been resurfaced once too often? It seems that if the friction surface is too low, the clutch will be prone to slip.

The shop manual doesn't have anything on acceptable limits here.

It is likely useable but there should be a step. Too much step height actually worse than too little. Whe the flywheel is resurfaced, the machinist is supposed to measure the original step height then cut both surfaces so the step is left at the same height.

If someone has an original flywheel, it wouldn't be hard to measure it and post the spec.

On Yugo 180mm step on new flywheel is 1,5mm. In past I make 1,5 and put new clutc plate and wos not good .I must take flywheel aut and cut for 0,2 or 1,3mm and wos OK. Naw all myF. wheels I make 1,3

Back