For Sale: Replace Your Fiber Optic Lines With LEDs!

Installation

I attempted to install these over the weekend but something is up with my fiber optics' power source. I'll need to trace down the wire and see what's going on with it. No problems in the fuse box....not a big deal just need more time.

So while I was at it, I placed an order with www.superbrightleds.com to set up the dash with LEDs...just need to replace the door panel lights and install a dome switch with the same. I have an idea for the floor lights.....

Thank you again!

Check the yellow/red wire where it connects to the rheostat, I know mine can be a little finicky in that spot.

Another problem I had once was it not having a tight enough ground connection.

I ordered a set and installed about a week ago

The details for ordering are all in the original post!

And I'm happy with the results, it's a good quality product and easy to install.

A word of warning to the later-model owners though, at some point (not sure when), the main console switches (fog, interior, defrost, blank on my car) were converted over to internally illuminated and are not on the fiber-optic system. They are controlled by the rheostat however. So now I have 2 levels of illumination, the LED level and the console switch level. They are light-years apart, the LEDs are much brighter.

Again in fairness to Jeremy, he did clearly state that he was not familiar with all years and that he could only speak for the year his car was (83 or 84 I think). So I am not dissatisfied at all and don't want to come off that way. I just want later-model owners to know what I know.

I think what I am going to do for my car is, find a way to get the internally lighted switches off the rheostat and get them on "full bright". Then I will use the LEDs and rheostat to match the brightness level.

Pete

Same question....

As I prepare to leave Kandahar for a well deserved break at home,
and holiday in the Phoenix area, I too would like to know if this
will work in my early X.

I have money burning in my pocket as well. :)

Good to Know

This is great information to know about the later model cars.

I also had drastically different lighting between my LED lit switches and the rest of my interior lights. I ended up finding a replacement bulb for the heater control and LEDs for the instrument cluster as well. After doing that I got the bright, even light I wanted in the interior.

Obviously, these LEDs were only a part of that process (but probably the most time consuming part, hence why I am offering to make them for others).

My car specifically is an '81 and all the switches are lit by the fiber optics. Counting the switches that light up would work well for my car and other cars that have similar interiors to the '81, but perhaps the best way to know how many LEDs one needs is to count the number of fiber optic lines currently in the car. I believe I will be recommending that method from now on.

I have a 1977 with AC and there are 7 fiber optic lines coming from the light source

There are four switches on the console with clear plastic holders for the fiber optics
  1. Interior Light 3 way
  2. Head Light
  3. Hazard Light
  4. Back window Heater
There are three separate fiber optic cables to highlight the panel with black holders for the fiber optics
  1. Close Close above the heating levers
  2. A/C Defrost Fan
  3. A/C Temp
The headlamp switch to the left of the steering column has the place for an fiber optic, but there is not a clear plastic piece. (was not wired to the fiber optic).

On another note

There is a rheostat too, but I am not sure where it fits in the scheme of things since there seems to be an off, dim, and slightly brighter switch for the instruments lights.

Looks like eight LEDs for me, with a longer run to the headlight switch. Who has got the clear plastic holders that fit in the switches?

So sorry everyone

Since I started doing these I've taken a job that requires me to travel extensively, so I'm never actually home and within reach of all my electrical goodies to get these done for the time being.

Jeremy, now you know why

I was so glad to see you take this on.
I understand your situation completely.

I've made a few (3) and sold 2 of 'em. Could probably be coaxed into making some more this winter. My second favorite mod to date! (White gauge faces with LEDs and idiot light mod is #1)

Back