found on craigslist

Well, black is THE most unforgiving color for a car, even the most miniscule of body imperfections stick out like a sore thumb, so it will be easy to tell if the Seller's Body and Paint guy brought his "A" game when doing this car.

I know my first X purchased new in '81 had the brown dash, console, visors and arm rests while the upholstery, door cards, and "corn row" carpet were the lighter brown or you might say saddle color.

For a $9,000 asking price with a "restored" claim, IMHO "restored" implies a high degree of fidelity to the original, so again IMHO the seller should have stayed with the factory interior color scheme and textures. They also should have tried to find the right engine cover ('79 model year does not have an air vent on the side).

That said, from what we can see of the available pix, the car looks good so I wish the seller well, and hope he gets as close to his asking price as possible :)

Late '79 engine cover?

I was under the impression, just from other cars I've seen, that late '79's had the side air vent in the engine cover. Is that not the case?

This car, however doesn't have the backward tach that late '79's have.

I was under the impression, just from other cars I've seen, that late '79's had the side air vent in the engine cover. Is that not the case?

This car, however doesn't have the backward tach that late '79's have.

79's had the large engine cover and no side vents. And this car DOES have a backward tach which is correct for 79.

Hard to tell from the picture, but now that I look at it again, I think you're right - it's a backward tach, which would mean it's a late '79. It was someone on this forum that advised me the tachs changed mid-year in '79 to the backward style. My early '79 has the clockwise tach and no side air vent.

Seems like every other late '79 I've seen also had the side air vent on the engine cover, but as I said, I'm just basing that on what I've seen, so it was just my assumption.

Hard to tell from the picture, but now that I look at it again, I think you're right - it's a backward tach, which would mean it's a late '79. It was someone on this forum that advised me the tachs changed mid-year in '79 to the backward style. My early '79 has the clockwise tach and no side air vent.

Seems like every other late '79 I've seen also had the side air vent on the engine cover, but as I said, I'm just basing that on what I've seen, so it was just my assumption.

That is interesting and I should have looked at your signature (and noticed you own a 79!!!) - I didn't know it was a mid-year switch. I owned 2 79's and both had big engine cover and backward tach. I guess they were also both late year as well. Thanks for clarifying ;)

One more data point

Like Docpan's, my 79 was built in 3/79, has a large & solid engine cover, and the clockwise tach.

Based on USA conventions of the time, my car was built mid-model year (Sep - Aug). The changes must have been implemented later.

Back