Front brakes and a day with Tony N.

enzo mac

True Classic
I am working my way through a 1985 X purchased before I found this site. One of my main concerns is of course, my brakes (and then my suspension, electrical, weather stripping …… you all know what I mean).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tony had a while ago offered to help me sorting out my brake system, which periodically would lock up. After a previous inspection, he recommended new hoses, rotor, pads, and that the calipers be rebuilt. Over the holidays I bought the parts for the front brakes, and after dropping my daughter off at CSUN on Monday, about 80 miles from where I live, I was invited to stop by Tony’s house on the return. After coffee, he had me jack up the car and take three wheels off. (He took the fourth wheel off because I wasn’t fast enough.)

He then immediately disassembled both front brakes, discarding the old hoses, disassembling the calipers, and completely disassembling every feature, nut, bolt and washer in the two assemblies. He then individually degreased and scrubbed every piece, removing 25 years of dirt, grease and sediment, and air dried all the parts. After checking the condition of each of the air dried parts, he then wire brushed each part, and then buffed them. After degreasing, cleaning, buffing and polishing all these pieces, I casually mentioned that I should have thought to bring some paint, so we could paint them. He then broke out not one, but two colors of spray paint, and painted all the appropriate parts. He then served coffee while the parts dried.

After coffee, he reassembled everything. It was not like watching a mechanic doing his job, or even like watching myself do the work, although I’ve researched exactly what had to be done, and would be doing it for my own vehicle. It was more like watching a musician play an instrument, as if he were doing it for himself. After everything was reassembled, I jumped into action, as I was allowed to pump the brake pedal so he could bleed the system.

I was having a problem with the camber on my left rear wheel, and I had spent considerable time and effort looking for damage, or for some reason why the camber should be so radically different. The struts themselves, although used, were the same make and model, and appeared to be more or less identical to me. Tony took the offending strut off, and was immediately able to determine that one of the mounting holes had been slotted by a previous owner. After five minutes of adjusting, he was able to visually balance out the camber in both wheels, and the ride home was as if I were in a different vehicle.

This type of generosity seems to be endemic on this particular site, with members volunteering their knowledge, skills and resources. In closing, I can’t thank Tony enough for his time, effort and patience, and look forward to contributing whatever I can in the future.

Vincent dba enzo mac

PS
Tony is certainly a fount of information……..

Despite some good natured ribbing

once in a while, that's why we respect and love Papa Tony. He gives so much to the web site and of himself. The musician comparison is right to the point.

By the way, did you remind Tony about the $20 bucks he owes me? HA!!!:mallet:

Mike

Vinnie's got your money...

I gave it to him, plus $5 bucks interest!

For another $10 bucks Mike... I'll tell ya where he lives...

HA!

Thanks for the kind words...

... and man, does your camera make me look fat... and old... and gray!

Thanks a bunch... especially capturing me delicately hammering the crap outta that stupid hose clamp... HA!

And also thanks for letting me finally spray something with that "GRABBER GREEN" Duplicolor lacquer I picked up on sale for a buck! The yellow is moderately "high temp" Engine Enamel by the same maker... and I'm unsure why I bought that also... They do go pretty well together and kinda POP when viewed through the Mini-lites.

Had fun... great company... looking forward to more good times.

Oh... and give Mike that 20 bucks I owe him that I gave ya...

Tony,
Are there any homes for sale in your area? I would like to be your neighbor.

You are a gem.

Tony, ain't it strange how.............!!

... and man, does your camera make me look fat... and old... and gray!...

.........when you look at yourself in the mirror each morning when you are havin' a shave, and you think to yourself "shucks, I don't look too bad for bein' over 60!"
Then somebody with a camera takes a pic of you, THAT BY MEANS OF PHOTOGRAHIC WIZARDRY, makes you look about 100!!
Yep, I'm sure what they say, camera's always seem to 'distort' the actual subject! :whistle:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ian, from Tony's description of the photo,

I thought he was talking about me. We could pass for twins, with him being the more handsome, charming, and witty of the two.:mallet:

Mike

We need to get Tony a Fiat service van

and just have him wander the countryside working on our cars. :)

No doubt about Papa T to the rescue...

And I taught him everything he knows. Just ask him... Surely he'll lie for me! Ha!
Nice photos, regardless of how pretty that guy holding the hammer is.
We love him as he is.... Besides... I don't need no competition! :mallet:

Obvious you both had a fun day. Thanks for posting!

You ain't just whistling Dixie

Some four and a half years ago I drove my WhiteX into Tony's garage on Benz Rd in Santa Clarita.
The welcome was not worm, it was hot. Scorching hot. My daughter and me felt at home right away.
"We" worked on my car for a few days: replacing the flywheel for a lightened one I had waiting for me (at Tony's of course), some major bodywork and more.
Tony got Anthony to help while I was busting my ass running for bears none stop.
It sure was unforgettable, for Jay Leno too.
BTW, if you watch those photos carefully you will surely notice that that hansom young Tony is doing all that work with his heart, it is not the hands.
God bless him,

Enjoy -

Last edited:
I'll never forget going over to Tony's...

for X fun and chat, we did some work on my '86 as well, minor things here and there etc, and feel like he's part of the family now. Too bad I'm not in So Cal anymore...My daughter will never forget the wild ride in my X on the way to one of our old X gatherings at Tony's, blasting through those awesome twisty's on Bouquet Canyon road! Cheers

Boquet Canyon, Vasquez Canyon, Plum/White Canyon (depended on which end of the road you were on!) and so many other great roads out there. There are some nice empty twistys up near Agua Dulce and Davenport that never seem to get mentioned. Oooo, did I let the cat out of the bag? :doh:Tony is indeed a huge part of the X community, hosting events like "5-speed 101 Workshop" among others!
pic00017a.jpg

Thats it. I have had it.. It is so clear to me that Tony has way more time than myself. i am just going to go ahead and start shipping cars his way. I have three Fiats. Make some room there Papa....:thumbsup:

Tony...

it's nearly February and cold out there....

I'd recommend a trip to Florida (Cuban subs, theme parks, girls in bikini's) and WILL pick you up at the airport :)

Indeed Jim, dropped from mid 70's...

... with high winds and cooler days by 5 degrees below average!

I'm packing my meds as I type... See ya soon!

video from the party

My sister shot this short video of Alex's X at Tony's party.

There is a lot of "Dave" in this video. :)

Back