Front Control Arm Bushing Replacement

Brendan Ryan

Daily Driver
F631079F-5DE3-47C1-9F81-3FE0C1669927.jpeg
I’m rebuilding the front suspension, my driver side front control arm ball joint is in great shape, but the bushing was gone. I’ve removed the old bushing and metal sleeve, but cannot wrap my mind around how to install the new one! I see in the manual there’s special tools for installing the bushing and metal sleeve, but hard to tell how they work.........any advice?

One thing that has helped me is I heat the bushing by soaking it for a few minutes in hot water. I have found this particularly helpful on poly bushings of this style. I boil some water on the stove and then pour it into a garage-approved container so I don't endanger my wife's pots. I soak the bushing for a few minutes and then fish it out, handle it with gloves and install it. Those I have done this way, the bushing went in with lubrication by force of hand alone. Of course this only works for the bushings that don't have the integral steel case.

Here's a trick that might work - either use just a single hose clamp (smooth inside if you have one) and silicone grease. Put the hose clamp around the leading portion that you want to press in, and tighten the clamp (to squeeze the rubber). You can then use a press to get the bushing into the hole. Put silicone grease in the control arm as well.

Another approach is to find one of these in the right diameter. Pull out the rubber inside it, and lube it with silicone grease. You can compress the rubber bushing to fit into your control arm.

BTW: Where did you new rubber bushings!?!? I've never seen them before!

518zDfxr7fL._SX425_.jpg

Basically you're squeezing this into a smaller diameter. A nice smooth ID hose clamp should do the trick (Euro style hose clamps are best, as they don't have a liner - there are some worm gear clamps that use a liner and that might give you some issues while pressing the bushing)

upload_2019-1-30_10-26-50.png

Perfect opportunity to upgrade to the two-piece poly bushings.

For the one-piece, I just lube them up and press them in with the aid of a bench vise. They’re a little squirrelly, but pop in eventually.

View attachment 18719 I’m rebuilding the front suspension, my driver side front control arm ball joint is in great shape, but the bushing was gone. I’ve removed the old bushing and metal sleeve, but cannot wrap my mind around how to install the new one! I see in the manual there’s special tools for installing the bushing and metal sleeve, but hard to tell how they work.........any advice?

Last edited:
Here's a trick that might work - either use just a single hose clamp (smooth inside if you have one) and silicone grease. Put the hose clamp around the leading portion that you want to press in, and tighten the clamp (to squeeze the rubber). You can then use a press to get the bushing into the hole. Put silicone grease in the control arm as well.

Another approach is to find one of these in the right diameter. Pull out the rubber inside it, and lube it with silicone grease. You can compress the rubber bushing to fit into your control arm.

BTW: Where did you new rubber bushings!?!? I've never seen them before!

518zDfxr7fL._SX425_.jpg
Found the rubber bushings on EBay actually, they were very cheap, $10!!

Back