Front crank seal question...

5SP33DB0X19

Daily Driver
Sorry, messed up on my first post, thinking it was the rear crank seal.. it's the crank seal by the timing belt (don't know why I keep calling that the rear seal) But is it a one-piece or a two-piece? You wouldn't have to drop the engine to swap it out? This thing is leaking oil like a siv now, and there's a new little puddle under it every night, and every time I get off work... Not to mention it's painting it's own little masterpiece all over my engine compartment..ha

Thanks, and sorry,
Joe "Giuseppe" Gillaspy

Get that motor out

You'll thank yourself later for it, that way you'll be able to do a mini rebuild and reseal everything, There's nothing to say that the seal at the other end is weak and if it goes after you've done this one you'll be kicking yourself.

The last 3 motors I've taken out exxys have come out the top (1500 engines with 5spd boxes i.e. flanged driveshafts) you just have to make them as thin as possible, take the engine cover off and take it out on an angle to clear everything

Cheers
Neojames2k

To do just the front seal you don't NEED to take the motor out, it's a similar job to doing a timing belt ...which you will need to replace anyway as it's no doubt soaked in oil.... and oil and timing belts do not mix.

You can access the area from the RH rear wheel arch, remove the crank V belt pulley, remove the timing belt cover and timing belt, remove the lower timing belt drive gear on the crank nose, and you will see the culprit.

Again it's a performing seal, like all modern Fiats, last time they used a rope type seal was back in the '40s...

You can prise them out of the housing in situ, and reinstall... but you risk not getting the seal in square, scouring the housing when removing etc etc, so removing the seal carrier and reinstalling a new seal on the bench usually works best... this can be easy or it can be hard depending if you tear the sump gasket that it also mates with... tear the sump gasket and yopu need to drop the sump... which isn't that hard on an X19 really.

You should do all three of the front seals while your in there, (and check condition of the cam gears and tensioner bearing) they will likely all be the same age and condition.

If you do just the crank seal then you could almost put money on the others not being too far behind it and beginning to leak in short order... rear crank seal likewise, hence the suggestion to drop the motor and do the lot.

It's definitely is easier to lower the engine down and lift it back up from underneath.... I've done 100's of sohc engines like this. (128's and X19's)

SteveC

As far as pulling the engine goes...

I haven't done hundreds but have done quite a few... and always out the bottom.

Also... leave the trans attached... and everything in this regard is easier on the bench or on the floor as well.

I like to drop the engine/trans onto a small wheeled pallet using an engine hoist... and then using the same hoist tied to the bumper brackets... lift the rear of the car up and slide the engine out. Install it in the reverse order. Sounds weird but really works very well and easy.

Back