Front Fender Liner

Afretired

Daily Driver
Anyone have a right side front fender liner? Tall skinny piece that goes behind the front wheel? My body guy destroyed mine, Midwest Bayless only has the driver side, no pass side in stock.

I struggled to find one a few years ago and ended up fabricating my own from sheet aluminum and rubber edging. I also used sound deadening on the backside to minimize noise (figured the metal might transmit more than the original plastic).

If you choose to do this you can approximate a rough template by tracing the plastic original and then using tin snips to cut the aluminum. Can then trial and error fit, trim, fit, bend, etc until it's just right.

If interested I will look for photos and post what I did...

Anyone have a right side front fender liner? Tall skinny piece that goes behind the front wheel? My body guy destroyed mine, Midwest Bayless only has the driver side, no pass side in stock.

I thought the later cars came with the full-sized plastic liner, FPN 4325790 (right side), FPN 4325791 (left side).

Dan, they do, but those actually cover the front and top, this piece completes the coverage on the rear side of the tire

Back in the summer of 17 there was a listing on Craigslist for a guy in the Boston area selling an X with a custom Turbo engine. He races a number of different cars and had many X parts,I bought a frunk carpet from him. As I recall he had a few inner fender well liners. Ill text him to see what he has.

Will you (or others) be interested if I make liners out of urethane rubber? Fit will be perfect and they will last forever. No noise transmit either.

That caught my attention.. you must mean Medford Ma, I am in Medford Or, sorry I don't have any X1/9 wheel liners (well I do but they are installed in cars).

Dan, they do, but those actually cover the front and top, this piece completes the coverage on the rear side of the tire

The liners on my car cover side-to-side from the lip of the fender to halfway down the inner wall of the frunkspace and from 8 o'clock thru 4 o'clock of the circumference. Each side's liner is actually two separate pieces of molded plastic (front piece and rear piece) riveted together with 6-8 pop rivets at the 12 o'clock position.

fender liners.jpg I think Afretired is talking about the one on the left in the pic. Not the large one. BTW, this is the left side and I don't have any passenger one but on my car. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 8006 I think Afretired is talking about the one on the left in the pic. Not the large one. BTW, this is the right side and I don't have any left one but on my car. Good luck.

My car came with the big two-piece riveted style on the right. I don't think it ever had the small panel on the left, because there are no empty holes in the sheet metal that would correspond to the mounting holes that can be seen on the left edge of the left panel. My car is an '86 like Afretired shows in his signature.

My car came with the big two-piece riveted style on the right. I don't think it ever had the small panel on the left, because there are no empty holes in the sheet metal that would correspond to the mounting holes that can be seen on the left edge of the left panel. My car is an '86 like Afretired shows in his signature.

So did all the 79-88 cars that I had played with...

I got some on my 1980 car. They are filling the gap between the fender and the door. I don't think the big one completely cover that hole (especially at the bottom). It's just you don't usually notice it.

Did you ever find one of these? If not, I have one (actually, I have a L/R matched pair). I was back at the junkyard today grabbing more parts for my friends X1/9, & remembered reading this post last week. Problem was, I couldn't remember which side you needed, so I just grabbed both! ;)

One of them had the lower corner broken off but still mounted in place, so I grabbed that piece as well (thinking it can be epoxied back together, with a small panel bonded onto the backside for reinforcement if needed?). I can't remember which side the cracked one - I'll have to check.

BTW, this was a 06/79 build date X1/9, so yes, the 1500's DO in fact have this part on them.

Back