Front latch relocation

jvandyke

True Classic
I got a 1.5" steel spacer and a 2" M6 bolt from the hardware store. I took the bolt out that must hold a dash bracket, replaced as pictured.
When locked it's folded back under the dash, when unlocked it sticks out, I might even paint the backside of the "knob" red so it really screams out at you when it's left unlocked but you won't see the red when it's folded back and locked. Will test tomorrow.
This is in prep for kick panels and speakers.
trunklatch.jpg

More pictures here;
http://gallery.me.com/jvandyke#100422
Bit concerned with the hardware down there, in a wreck that could mess up your knee pretty good but well.....

(I was going to drill another hole further back in the steel bulkhead, another spacer and a 2" self tapping metal screw but the one bolt seems to hold it well, will see how it goes).

I've used it about 8 times and it works fine, not pivoting about the one securing bolt which surprises me but if it's happy, so am I. Latches and unlatches just fine so far. Cost; about $2 for spacer and metric bolt (why are those 4x the price of standard?) and no cut, no drill and easily reversible; my kind of mod. And much easier to reach from standing outside the car too.

Any you moved it because...

... why?

You don't have enough projects... didn't like it where it was... this is a "safer" location... color clashed with your purse?

If anything... If I were to go through this much trouble I woulda figured out a way to LOCK IT too...

I'll give ya 30 days to get back to us with your design!

HA!

Electric latch

I am thinking more in a way of electric latch (rear trunk too)
Got that BBrown?

... why?

You don't have enough projects... didn't like it where it was... this is a "safer" location... color clashed with your purse?

If anything... If I were to go through this much trouble I woulda figured out a way to LOCK IT too...

I'll give ya 30 days to get back to us with your design!

HA!

I like music.
Wanted some speakers in the kick panel location.
Speakers are there now, made panels, sound alright, not great but good enough working with all old spare speakers pulled from other cars. Father's Day I'm hoping for some decent 4x6 for the rear deck.....but I'll get a tie.
And it wasn't much trouble, 5 minutes and $2 and can be put back just as easily.

finally got

IMG_7781.jpg

mine done...

(anyone else having trouble with redirects to photobucket plugin when trying to reply to threads?)

Yes, I can't replay to any posts. I have to click reply then really fast stop the page loading to prevent the photo bucket thing. This is the first post I've been able to do all night!

BTW my front latch has worked fine all summer, I like this position much better, kick panel speakers or not. Just to be able to casually reach into the car and flip the trunk latch is worth it. IMHO

Yes, I can't replay to any posts. I have to click reply then really fast stop the page loading to prevent the photo bucket thing. This is the first post I've been able to do all night!

BTW my front latch has worked fine all summer, I like this position much better, kick panel speakers or not. Just to be able to casually reach into the car and flip the trunk latch is worth it. IMHO

Yes!! I forgot to mention that!

I drilled an extra hole & used a sheet metal screw just to have a counterhold for the mounting plate.

EDIT: I shimmed my steering column while I was under there..

IMG_7780.jpg

Back