Front strut diagram

Regan Burba

True Classic
Does anyone have a diagram or photo of what parts should be included in the front strut assembly in a 87 X? I had picked up some used struts to replace some home made coil overs the PO had installed.
I took one apart to install a new upper mount and realized that I’m either missing some items, I do not have the correct ones, or the assembly is different in the 87. It is the steering pivot thrust plates I am wondering about. I have seen them in a manual I have and also at MWB, however, mine do not have those. In mine the upper spring perch has a built in centering cone which the rubber mount fits over, I do not see any steering pivots.

If you mean you don't see the flat sets of roller bearings. That is because those items are optional after market bits. The stock set up uses a large washer.

3CEE8F21-B206-440F-BEAF-A1DFB3854B26.jpeg They don’t have the large washer either, I’m thinking/realizing I may have rear strut perches, not fronts.

Does anyone have a diagram or photo of what parts should be included in the front strut assembly in a 87 X? I had picked up some used struts to replace some home made coil overs the PO had installed.
I took one apart to install a new upper mount and realized that I’m either missing some items, I do not have the correct ones, or the assembly is different in the 87. It is the steering pivot thrust plates I am wondering about. I have seen them in a manual I have and also at MWB, however, mine do not have those. In mine the upper spring perch has a built in centering cone which the rubber mount fits over, I do not see any steering pivots.

The front spring perches shouldn't have a "built in cone" - it should be a separate aluminum piece. Under that piece would be a phenolic thrust washer, surrounded by a rubber V-groove seal. There is also a large diameter washer under that cone if I remember correctly.

I stole this image from http://www.spiderroadster.com/xsuspension3.htm which is an image from the Linea Rossa catalog. I hope this helps!

upload_2018-4-4_12-6-33.png

I have a disassembled front strut assembly from a '79 sitting in the shop. I'll take a couple pics later and post.

Thanks for all the responses, and confirming it is the rear perch. Was supposed to be a front assembly, kinda frustrated. The strut and spring appears to be for front, guess I’m going to be looking for front perches and steering plate.

Apart from the strut lenght, I think the main différence between early (1300cc) and late (1500cc) X1/9 was the part you pictured, Regan.It is from a 1500cc strut. And I think the front and rear are the same. (Somebody could confirm that?)

In the first pic you could see the large metal "washer", then the 2 part rubber/phenolic. I took 2 assemblies in the pic to show they aren't one piece. Then at right, you have the cone from an early version. They look like aluminum and are full (see other pic), unlike the one in your pics which is part of the complete top plate.
20180404_195225.jpg

20180404_195334.jpg

I’m not feeling optimistic but if someone could confirm the front and rear are the same it would be good news for me. I don’t see how the strut rod could pivot though with the design of the upper perch that I pictured. The rubber strut mount sits right on top of the spring perch.

The front and rear perches are not the same. The fronts are the same across all years. The rears have two varieties, 73-79 and 80-88.

Back