Front valance/grille carbon fiber

I would be interested in a top!
If you guys are at least half serious about CF lightweight targa top, would you suggest a price you are willing to pay for it to help me calculate if its worth doing it? Even if infinite number of people want such product, but price doesn't match materials and overhead, it is not going to happen. Your replies will be a big help for both sides. Thank you all!

If you guys are at least half serious about CF lightweight targa top, would you suggest a price you are willing to pay for it to help me calculate if its worth doing it? Even if infinite number of people want such product, but price doesn't match materials and overhead, it is not going to happen. Your replies will be a big help for both sides. Thank you all!

Well, a reconditioned top from Midwest-Bayless is around $450.....any chance of hitting that mark? I would imagine most people would be willing to transfer whatever hardware needs to come off their original top and onto the CF top.

Well, a reconditioned top from Midwest-Bayless is around $450.....any chance of hitting that mark? I would imagine most people would be willing to transfer whatever hardware needs to come off their original top and onto the CF top.
Thanks for reply. That's my point, I know this price for original heavier top, usually taken almost for free and re--sold after cleaning and fresh paint. Compare this "work" to making one from scratch - 2sided giant mold, the inner one with extremely complex shapes, probably some re-engineering about original hardware attachments (43 screws), water tight fit, nice finish etc. I don't see how one can price match a hand made lighter piece after all this work to a less desirable "no making involved" one. That's the reason I try to get a clue about pricing. And I appreciate your participation in my little survey!

Thanks for reply. That's my point, I know this price for original heavier top, usually taken almost for free and re--sold after cleaning and fresh paint. Compare this "work" to making one from scratch - 2sided giant mold, the inner one with extremely complex shapes, probably some re-engineering about original hardware attachments (43 screws), water tight fit, nice finish etc. I don't see how one can price match a hand made lighter piece after all this work to a less desirable "no making involved" one. That's the reason I try to get a clue about pricing. And I appreciate your participation in my little survey!

Well it all depends upon what the potential Buyer is looking for, and what you as the potential seller see as "competition" for your product.

If an X owner does not have a top, then they are open to all options and would likely buy the least expensive one available that meets their appearance requirements. So your "competition" is not the $50 swap meet top, nor is it the $450 reconditioned top.

If an X owner has a top, then any desire they may have for another top is not driven by need, it is driven by the desire to have something different. That desire has motivated some to pay $1,000 - $2,000 for a Saratoga top. I suppose your market analysis task is to figure out whether your tops would end up being as desirable as a Saratoga Top---if so, they would command the same or better prices and most likely provide enough profit to make it worth your while to produce them. OTOH, if Saratoga Top-level pricing would still not yield enough money to make it worthwhile to produce them, then it's a moot point for no other reason than the economics.

Maybe the real answer is a clear top that is lighter than stock or a Saratoga top? Is there such as thing as clear Carbon Fiber?

Well it all depends upon what the potential Buyer is looking for, and what you as the potential seller see as "competition" for your product.

If an X owner does not have a top, then they are open to all options and would likely buy the least expensive one available that meets their appearance requirements. So your "competition" is not the $50 swap meet top, nor is it the $450 reconditioned top.

If an X owner has a top, then any desire they may have for another top is not driven by need, it is driven by the desire to have something different. That desire has motivated some to pay $1,000 - $2,000 for a Saratoga top. I suppose your market analysis task is to figure out whether your tops would end up being as desirable as a Saratoga Top---if so, they would command the same or better prices and most likely provide enough profit to make it worth your while to produce them. OTOH, if Saratoga Top-level pricing would still not yield enough money to make it worthwhile to produce them, then it's a moot point for no other reason than the economics.

Maybe the real answer is a clear top that is lighter than stock or a Saratoga top? Is there such as thing as clear Carbon Fiber?
Polycarbonate (not Plexiglas) is the only clear material a top can be made out of in a small shop or garage. But the CF "top" of the top is peace of cake, difficult is to make good looking carbon frame with perfect hardware attachment points, perfect dimensions and no mickey-mouse work (bondo, glue, silicone, textured paint). Good news is that I almost have complete idea of how to make the underframe waaaaay better than any original or aftermarket in existence, just too much work and didn't know by now if anyone will be interested. Anyway, to prove that I take forum members' suggestions seriously, I just bought good top locally for $30 and will modify it around my idea, then take molds. It may take a while as I don't have any funds to invest at the moment. Calculated weight is about 4 pounds.

My experience with polycarbonate material is from about 30 years ago so take it for what it is worth, but as I recall it was not recommended for environments where it could come into contact with gasoline. We ended up using an acrylic (Plexiglas) because maintaining the optical properties while being exposed to gasoline fumes was a requirement. I'm not saying the roof is likely to get gas poured on it, but I do recall sticking my gas cap on the roof when filling up a number of times. It would be a shame to have a gas cap shaped ring on a fancy new top.

Jovani,

Impressive composite work... The grill, can it be made without the lower spoiler/valance? Like a basic early model replacement grill? I would be interested in a grill without the spoiler and made like the early style for a euro bumpered car as to hide the bumper tube openings. Is this possible?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 19
On the tops...FWIW, while I got a lot of interest from folks when I was pursuing working with someone to vacuum form tinted acrylic to make Saratoga-like tops, there was insufficient commitment to make it worthwhile to actually create molds, etc. I'm still working on hand-forming a couple for my own use. And the hand-forming work, I think makes them easily $1000. And that comes out to near minimum wage maybe?

On the grill/valence - excellent work!! If I didn't already have the parts for my own conversion, I would definitely be buying! :)

Back