FS 1974 X1/9 in Denver, CO 4,300$

fiatrn

Jonathan is the FiatRN
My girlfriend has decided to sell her '74. We bought the car in CO two years ago and she finds it amusing but does not love it, so despite wintertime I am advertising the car for her. I am somewhat sad, bc I love the '74 but simply don't have room in my garage or bank account to purchase the car from her.

Short version:

Rust free 1974, complete, presentable, shiny with some paint chips. Build date 03/74, vin 128AS 0012929 94,000 miles. 1300, 4 speed, sexy wheels with skinny tires.

A couple photos below, more coming when Z gets a hang of emailing them to me and I figure out the photo posting a little better.

4,300$
questions? email me!

Long wordy version:

The Good

This is one of the most unmolested Fiats I have come across for a long time. Rust free with white paint that shines up acceptably. Even the airpump and carb fan work. Someone put later seats in the car - they look proper but are cloth and not vinyl, which I don't think was correct in '74. Metal seat back adjusters so they'll last forever. The black carpet does not appear original, but is in fine shape with no tears or problems. The original radio is in place and functions (Astrosonix!), and the original speaker is in place, functions, but is not hooked up. Instead the radio uses two door speakers. Proper inner door handles installed. Correct exterior mirror (that I really want!) in place and does not droop. Windscreen mounted antenna goes up and down and is not bent. All parts work without trouble except one heater control knob snapped off. The engine bay is proper, with all smog equipment in place including the airpump and carb fan, which both work. This car passed CO emissions without adjustment, and should pass California emissions if they apply to 1974 cars. Every light works and is nice and bright by Fiat standards.

This is a currently rust free car that has spent most of it's life in high dry Colorado. We have records going back a few years that show general maintenance being done, but never did find all of the ownership history. The man we bought it from was simply flipping the car. Garage kept since Zoe bought it two years ago, unsure before that.

The car starts and runs and is perfectly reliable. The electric fuel pump and electronic ignition make for a smooth running car that pulls as high rpm as you ask it. Original 1300cc engine and carb set up. Original stainless single outlet exhaust and '74 style header. Airpump/etc in place and working.

At purchase, I changed the timing belt and all fluids/filters/belts, replaced all the engine mounts, rebuilt the steering rack (failed bushing), installed a stainless coolant overflow bottle, and converted the car to electronic ignition. I have also added an electric fuel pump (bendix style). I replaced the rear struts with vintage oe stuff. I replaced the front brake pads and discs and the rear brake pads. The car has worked flawlessly since purchase.

The bad:

At some point there was some scale rust in the front inner trunk and near the windscreen. It appears to have been sanded down and coated with that por15 stuff in a couple small spots. I can find NO active rust. Paint is chipped, especially the nose, but still shines up.

When replacing the driver side window regulator I found broken glass inside the door, and note that the glass in that door is not marked as original. I suspect that the door was hit and the glass broke - I can't explain that, the door is original and not dented, but something tells me so. The door shuts fine, and nothing on the car is crooked. I even took it to an alignment shop and all checked out.

The cap to the choke knob sometimes falls off, and you must be careful because appears irreplacable. I find the aftermarket alpine speakers in the doors ugly and poorly done. The seats and carpet are probably from a different year X1/9, as I don't think cloth seats were available in '74.

4,300$
Questions? Comments?

Jonathan

exteriorsm.jpg

enginesm.jpg

rearsm.jpg

speedosm.jpg

Last edited:
wow thats nice. Not a fan of the checker but love everything else. If I had the cash I'd pony up.

Very nice - need to post more pics of the interior if you can. And its too bad about the seats (not original). Original 74 seats are NICE.

She is still a beaut!

x1/9 fs

The checkers are stickers - they were all over the car when we bought it - on the hood, trunk, all fenders, etc. We left the ones on the door since they added some contrast to a very white car. The stickers were also threatening to peel off some chip'd paint, so I didn't want to remove them and make a mess. I have two cars with checkerboard roofs, but this is different.

Here are two interior shots: I hope Z will email a less close up shot for me to post.

The door panel looks very orange in this photo, but is much more brown in real life. She took the photos near sunset, so perhaps that's why.

Also a close up of the Cromodora wheels

ldoorpanel.jpg

&

footwellsm.jpg

&

cromodora.jpg

Jonathan

Looks real nice...

...I am not offended by the checkers. I think a white car needs some dressing, as well. Are there any cracks in the dash?

Midwest-Bayless has a complete set of left and right side NOS (still in the Fiat bag) brown w/black piping armrests that would really set off that interior.

interior

I think there are two cracks in the top of the dash. Here's an interior photo - sorry that the wheel is not straight - it IS on properly, the wheels are just turned when she took the photo.

interioro.jpg

I can't tell if the seats were just recovered in cloth or are from a different year X. I'm pretty sure that in '74 they would have been done in vinyl to match the doors.

& here's a shot of the rear trunk

trunky.jpg

Under the oe rubber trunk matting there is no rust! It was sort of scaly flaked so I sanded and painted it before it could rust (back at purchase date).

Jonathan

bumping my ad upward

The '74 is still for sale. I didn't really expect it to sell in midwinter while tucked away in the garage, but Z wanted it listed. Now spring is coming, April 15th is coming, and there's the possibility of losing it's garage space. I'll have to add a little effort in life to sell the car before then. I don't want to use ebay bc they seem evil, and would really like a Fiat fan to buy this car rather than someone who just needs a car - so I will continue to advert more towards Fiat people.

Jonathan

still FS: here's another photo

Zoe's '74 is still for sale. I've honestly not put enough effort into selling it, but she has refrained from beating me and is instead driving the car around on nice days. Here's another photo, to justify my post and bumping it up in the FS section. Get your '74 X1/9 here!

-here's one of my placement of the electronic ignition module - should stay cool, and is fairly unobtrusive. And yes, I reconnected the carb cooling hose after seeing the photo!:

Last edited:
Any chance of a couple of pictures of the rusty/painted over areas? They probably won't come out that well but it'd give me some sort of idea what it looks like.

Unfortunately dropping in for a quick look at the car is kinda out of the question given the distance :D.

Also, any suggestion of rust or mushrooming in the shock towers?

'74 X1/9 FS - more photos

Here is one snapshot of the rust spot near the driver side headlight motor access door:

Below is the windscreen: you can see the small areas sanded and painted with that black stuff (you can also see that I did not wash the car before taking this picture):

Here is one shock tower. I took the photo with the high tech method of cramming my hand under the wheel well and pushing the shutter button until I was aimed at something. NOt the BEST photo, but all 4 look this nice and rust free:

I have other photos that are equally as exciting, let me know if there is more you need to see.

I'm sure there are some X heads in Denver, and we have two Fiat specific shops (apple motors and aspen motors) who could always go over the car and give you an opinion. I am friendly with both shop owners, but by no means would they tell lies for me!

Jonathan
Denver, CO
the FiatRN

Looks a lot less 'frilly' than the last two I owned in Europe about 17/18 years ago. Oops, that suddenly made me feel old...

That looks really clean so my interest in it hasn't waned :)

Really stupid question but do the plates stay on the car in CO or do they come off and I'd have to get a moving permit if I were crazy enough to want to drive it back if I bought it? Basically trying to figure out if the logistics of the whole would be feasible at all - PPI at a local Fiat shop sounds like a good starting point but the whole thing would only make sense if I could get it shipped out here for sensible money if I can't drive it.

X FS

BC my answer was long and boring for other people, I instead sent you an email.

Apple Motors - Dave Dutton, owner - http://www.applemotors.com
Aspen Imports - Tom, owner - http://www.fiatrescue.com/

These are the two local Fiat shops. There are many other great automobile places in the Denver area, like Scuderia Rampante and Centerline Alfa, these two are just pretty close to me and Fiat centric.

I'm sure if you posted in Misc you could find an Xhead to see the car for you.
Jonathan

'74 FS - now going to ebay (rrrr)

Zoe still states she wants to sell the car. Like the other folks here selling high price X1/9s, many are interested but shipping & distance seem to defer most folks. In a car in this price range, the shipping to the coasts from Denver does seem to be a large percentage of the price. I note that rust repair, seized engines, and locked up brakes cost more to take care of then shipping a running car, but some people do love projects.

With this in mind, I have listed the car on Ebay. I am not much of an ebay fan anymore, but I think it will appeal to a larger audience and also to a group of people who may be more willing to ship and less interested in a project.

I will gladly entertain Xwebs opinion of my advert and the car!

Jonathan

Sold

To a friendly fellow in Australia, who oddly enough purchased my great friend's 2litre Dino spider years ago. The Fiat world is smaller than we all think!

Thank you to all

Back