Fuel injection/Kpro education

Rodger

True Classic
As I have been progressing through my K20 swap build, one thing that has nagged at me is my basic lack of real automotive knowledge and experience. Especially, when it comes to understanding how engines work, but more specifically, how to figure out what is wrong when they don't. I usually have no problem taking things apart, finding something broken or worn out, and putting it back together so it works, but modern engines are so complex, they are a bit intimidating to me. Doing the K20 swap has been a big leap for me and now that it was nearing completion, I really felt I needed some more education. I elected to go for the Kpro ECU upgrade from Hondata for my swap. I was able to get the engine to start, but had no idea where to even start with the K Manager software that talks to the Kpro ECU. The documentation that comes with it is really poor for a beginner as it assumes that you already know a ton about engines and tuning which I don't.

Since I have had a lot of free time lately, I did some online searching and found Evans Performance Academy. https://evansperformanceacademy.vhx.tv/. It is hosted by Jeff Evans, who has a tuning shop in Pennsylvania. He has created an incredible amount of educational series on practically every aftermarket tuning system out there, to include Kpro. I started to watch the Kpro series, but realized quickly that I needed more basic information about electronic fuel injection systems. He also has two series on EFI, a basic course and an advanced course. I watched the basic course and some of the advanced, then went back to the Kpro course and am about halfway through that one.

I think they are great. He takes everything step by step in language that I can (mostly) understand and builds on that knowledge with each video. I now have been able to set up my K Manager correctly for a swap car and have uploaded some calibrations to Kpro as well as started to datalog. I will most likely take the car to a professional tuner once I get it done, but this has given me a great start so that I understand what is what and how it all works. Highly recommended so thought I would share with the group.

As I have been progressing through my K20 swap build, one thing that has nagged at me is my basic lack of real automotive knowledge and experience. Especially, when it comes to understanding how engines work, but more specifically, how to figure out what is wrong when they don't. I usually have no problem taking things apart, finding something broken or worn out, and putting it back together so it works, but modern engines are so complex, they are a bit intimidating to me. Doing the K20 swap has been a big leap for me and now that it was nearing completion, I really felt I needed some more education. I elected to go for the Kpro ECU upgrade from Hondata for my swap. I was able to get the engine to start, but had no idea where to even start with the K Manager software that talks to the Kpro ECU. The documentation that comes with it is really poor for a beginner as it assumes that you already know a ton about engines and tuning which I don't.

Since I have had a lot of free time lately, I did some online searching and found Evans Performance Academy. https://evansperformanceacademy.vhx.tv/. It is hosted by Jeff Evans, who has a tuning shop in Pennsylvania. He has created an incredible amount of educational series on practically every aftermarket tuning system out there, to include Kpro. I started to watch the Kpro series, but realized quickly that I needed more basic information about electronic fuel injection systems. He also has two series on EFI, a basic course and an advanced course. I watched the basic course and some of the advanced, then went back to the Kpro course and am about halfway through that one.

I think they are great. He takes everything step by step in language that I can (mostly) understand and builds on that knowledge with each video. I now have been able to set up my K Manager correctly for a swap car and have uploaded some calibrations to Kpro as well as started to datalog. I will most likely take the car to a professional tuner once I get it done, but this has given me a great start so that I understand what is what and how it all works. Highly recommended so thought I would share with the group.
I subscribed to evans to learn hondata s300. He is awesome. Answered questions in the forum real quick too! Worth every penny

Odie

The documentation that comes with it is really poor for a beginner
Most aftermarket ECU documentation is pretty poor, regardless of knowledge level or experience. It can be confusing to say the least. So finding a course that specifically covers the particular ECU you have is definitely worth the effort. Great job.

Glad you got it running and that's good info on the video series. Now get that car off to the Speedfactory and let the professionals take over, lol They are the best tuners in our part of the country and love it when they see K engines in something other than a Honda. It will cost a bit, but they can tune it perfectly on their dyno. Enjoy that ride, can't wait to see the finished project in person one of these days.

Glad you got it running and that's good info on the video series. Now get that car off to the Speedfactory and let the professionals take over, lol They are the best tuners in our part of the country and love it when they see K engines in something other than a Honda. It will cost a bit, but they can tune it perfectly on their dyno. Enjoy that ride, can't wait to see the finished project in person one of these days.
Hi Gerald. Good see you are still hanging out on the forum. I do plan to take it to the Speed Factory once I get the car fully built. Hopefully this summer if life returns to normal.

Back