Fuel tank level sender

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
This should be obvious, but somehow it isn't at the moment. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the fuel level sender mounted on the X's tank? Showing the "clocking" orientation of the unit relative to the tank. Basically making sure the sender-unit's mounting plate is positioned (rotated) correctly on the ring of studs. Thanks.

FI or carb? They are different.
IM002961.JPG

carb left, FI right here. They are laying together here with the float arms in the same plain. Looks like the leads match up in the next, so orientation should be the same in tank.
IM002963.JPG

IM002964.JPG

FI on top, carb on bottom. I guess orientation would be pretty similar given the sahpe of the float arm, but who know, since I can't find a picture of the damn things installed. :( I will keep looking.

Last edited:
its not the best picture but you can see in the upper left corner the fuel sender mounted in the tank.
IMAG0178.jpg

This should be obvious, but somehow it isn't at the moment. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the fuel level sender mounted on the X's tank? Showing the "clocking" orientation of the unit relative to the tank. Basically making sure the sender-unit's mounting plate is positioned (rotated) correctly on the ring of studs. Thanks.

DING... found a picture of the 78's carb tank before I pulled it. Since the above pictures show that the units have the same electrical connections and basic float arm shape, I will say this is the proper orientation.
1300_gas_tank_wires.JPG

Awesome Jim! Sorry I did not specify, I am working on a '79 carb'ed model. And I was trying to see how it looks once installed on the tank. Like you Jim, I could not find a photo of it installed (although I thought I took a pic). That last picture does it however, thank you very much!

Docpan, thanks but unfortunately that pic just did not show enough for me to get the orientation of the attachment/location on the tank. Although after seeing Jim's pic I see it matches. Appreciate the feedback.

Funny, I actually marked it before removing the sender assembly. But the marking did not seem to correspond to anything meaningful when I went to put it back together. I'm sure that is a sign of early stage dementia. But I don't remember what early dementia is. :)

Same question but for a Fuel Injected model. I lost my fuel gauge while driving yesterday and I want to check to leads. I don't see this access hatch on mine. Thanks!!

Same question but for a Fuel Injected model. I lost my fuel gauge while driving yesterday and I want to check to leads. I don't see this access hatch on mine. Thanks!!
As far as I can tell they are the same; the FI version doesn't have all the pipes but if you look at the electrical connectors they are orientated like the carb one, and the inside parts are also oriented the same, so they both go in the same position on the tank.

Both tanks (FI and carb) are located in the same place on the car and have the same "access cover". Look toward the left (driver's) side of the firewall, just below the rear window. It is a stamped metal plate with four little sheet metal screws holding it on. None of mine had the silver insulation covering them, but some were a little difficult to see due to the air flow meter and all of the vapor recovery and other BS crammed around there. Under here:
Fiat-Bertone-X1-9-Buying-Guide-36a-1981-Fiat-X1_9-rmsothebys.jpg

Back