Fumes in to the cabin

Are you sure you weren't smelling other cars. I've never had that issue, windows up or down, top on or off. The rear vents that I am aware of are on the side of the targa bar.
Ok, that’s what I was thinking he meant, although the manual calls them something different. I’m pretty sure the fumes were from us, since it was evident regardless who was around us. I’m not even sure there’s a catalytic converter on this car. I just assumed it was us because, well, 1974? lol. I’ll try and do some back street tests where other cars aren’t around, and speeds are slow.
Any idea where you’d look for obvious leaks?
It could be as simple as wind blowing exhaust fumes back into the cabin.

Last edited:
A 74 wont have a cat so the exhaust by its nature will be much smellier than the cars around you and exacerbated by any carb issues you may have. We have all forgotten what a non emission controlled car smells like, it is not good...

The likelihood is it is just the smell swirling around you. Don’t block the cabin vents to the rear sides (the plastic grills on either side of the rear shelf and the associated exterior vents which say Bertone on them. It’s not coming in from there.

Do you notice the smell with the top on?

If no then it is swirling around the car and you are having some of it coming back up into the cabin.

Does your car have an OE exhaust? The aerodynamics of the car are such that if the pipe sticks out too far or not far enough it can cause the exhaust to recirculate slightly, given the pungency of a non emissions controlled car you will notice it very quickly.

As mentioned the inner panel of the spare tire well is a path from the rear of the car to the cabin, the hardboard panel is to the far passenger side and is often ill fitting, it can be sealed much better as stated in a previous post.

The 74 exhaust is extremely simple, it really only has one connection to the header and then the header to the engine head. There are just not many places for it to leak unless the muffler assembly itself is rusted through.

Superb. Likely just the wind blowing the exhaust back in the car. And yes, smells like rubbish, and somewhat worrisome depending on volume. I’ll have a look in the tire well, and check manifold connections this week, since the exhaust IS an aftermarket kit.

This is what the OE exhaust looked like. Very simple, reasonably light and surprisingly efficient.

Attachments

• F41B96B2-A108-48B9-8C8C-4CE6A379783C.jpeg
    F41B96B2-A108-48B9-8C8C-4CE6A379783C.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 51
This is what the OE exhaust looked like. Very simple, reasonably light and surprisingly efficient.
That‘s very cute. Stay tuned for something less so. lol

Update: you get what you get when you buy used. Maybe I’m smelling a little more exhaust than most people? 😱

C1C19F7F-5DF0-4658-A2E9-6AAA536EB776.jpeg

Last edited:
Back