Gas Gauge Sender Float Repair

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
The fuel gauge has steadily moved downward over the years until recent fill ups only showed a 1/4 tank when in fact it was full. Suspecting a fluid-filled sender float, I pulled it and sure enough it was full. I looked it over with a magnifying glass while trying to see if there was a crack or pin hole with no results. Squeezing and hot water failed to show any holes. So I drilled a small hole in the little bung end and drained it. I made certain it was dry and then resealed the hole with a hot circuit board sodering iron. RE-installed and now the gauge reads higher than it has for years. WE will see how long it lasts.
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG

I made certain it was dry and then resealed the hole with a hot circuit board sodering iron.
Well done, Larry! Top marks for carrying out a successful, FREE of cost :) repair job! Always makes me feel great when I repair sumthin' like you have just done - at NO cost!!

cheers, IanL - NZ

Ian, thanks. That's funny, the wife said the same thing...especially the free of cost part.

my gauge shows full when i fill the tank but when i get to 3/4 of a tank the gauge starts going crazy then goes to empty . could this fix repair the problem

There are 2 problems with the gauge sender. The float is one but also the fuzzy wiring in the small white box. When it start to fray, you will ge a good reading only when full, maybe sometimes suddenly when it's near empty. I guess it could be repaired, but I never tried.

but also the fuzzy wiring in the small white box
I've had pretty good luck with "random level readings" by cleaning the contacts on the "fuzzy wire" (rheostat?) thing, if the wires aren't actually broken. The little wires and the flat metal "slider" contact can be given a clean with electronic cleaner and the flat contact bent a little tighter against the surface, then run the float arm up and down a few times. The surfaces get a lot of oxidation built up over time (especially when it isn't used much), which interferes with the readings.

I had the same problem. Float was about halfway full - couldn't find a leak though. . . poked a pinhole in it, squeezed the gas out and then plastic welded it back together.

Back