Gearbox leak

pdxgeo

True Classic
11913590765_98de055227_c.jpg

After a couple of days sitting this is the puddle of gearbox oil Im losing. What typically causes this seepage?

thanks

George

I can't quite tell by the picture exactly where that is but I've read; speedo cable exit spot can leak, gear shift linkage input spot, drain plug.
I've suspected gearbox leaks before only to realize it was oil leaks getting blown onto the bottom of box and dripping there, my latest one is most likely another cam box gasket leak that runs down the front of the engine, gets into the slipstream and eventually drips from the bottom of the gearbox. I'd advise cleaning it off, dusting everything with some baby powder/talc of some sort, drive, park, check.

90W Gear lube from Napa

Last time I needed gear oil I went to Napa and bought their gallon of 90w. They didnt have it but instead had a quart of 90w "Marine" gear oil. I bought it and notice that its blue...can I mix this stuff with the normal brown oil?

Thanks

OEM is GL1, I got some at NAPA too a while back. It is thick as molasses in January, I've been running Redline MTL and it's a huge improvement, but if the GL1 leaks now, the MTL may POUR out (it's a lot thinner). Are you sure it's gearbox oil? GL1 should smell pretty badly.

Potential leak points can be axle flange seals, input shaft seal, shift shaft seal, speedo drive seal, drain plug, vent (if overfilled). If the vent is blocked, any of the other seals can develop a leak, always good to check. A visual check is your first step.

11913590765_98de055227_c.jpg

After a couple of days sitting this is the puddle of gearbox oil Im losing. What typically causes this seepage?

On my 128 (with a similar leak/puddle), I've narrowed it down to coming from inside the bellhousing area, most likely from a faulty input shaft seal &/or seal-housing gasket. I replaced both of these items before installing this trans specifically to avoid this leak problem, too. :wall:

Got a new seal & gasket on my list of "next parts to order", for now I just put a drip-tray in the driveway with a bit of kitty litter to handle the oil leak.

Last time I needed gear oil I went to Napa and bought their gallon of 90w. They didnt have it...

If they don't have it on hand, they can usually get (order) it for you within a few days. My local Napa has just enough to fit on the shelf (3-4 1-gallon jugs), then doesn't reorder until there's ~1 jug left. If someone else buys that 1, I'm SOL if I arrive afterwards needing 1 (until they get more stock). So last time I was there, I bought 2. :grin:

NAPA 80w90 GL-1, NAPA part number 65201:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Gear-Oil-80w90-1-GAL/_/R-FHQ65201_0410679149

Best bet is to call your local Napa first to see if it's in stock. If not, ask them to order some for you then. Don't let them be lazy & tell you it's NLA - it's a NAPA product available nationwide.

...but instead had a quart of 90w "Marine" gear oil. I bought it and notice that its blue...can I mix this stuff with the normal brown oil?

:hmm: I wouldn't mix, might not be compatible (might be EP rated?).

Thanks Jeff, the part # you listed shows an image of the 90w bottle but the description says 80w90. I will go there today to check things out as it says its in stock...

it was on the shelf at a NAPA by me too, though the guy was surprised it was there and didn't know what it was, one of the old guys said something about not having seen or sold that stuff in years.
I still think you're better off running Redline MTL though (it is about 15X the price though!! and if you have a leak I'd fix it first, don't want to let that liquid gold spill on the ground!!!)

with GL1 and cold weather, after shifting in to reverse I would have to apply throttle to get moving and I didn't need brakes the first few miles, that's how stiff everything was, it warmed up and was alright in a few miles but yes, that stuff is (IMHO) old school and there are MUCH better solutions these days, though expensive, Redline is makes for so much better shifting and such, even I, Captain TightA$#$ recommend the $60 or so it costs.

Back