General Question about high-power engine swaps

Thanks for the vid, Steve. 2 Q's

For a layman like me:
1. What is that black thing on the PS floor sloshing around?
2. What is that cross at the mid bottom with those red dots dancing about?
It sure is an interesting discussion to follow.

I can answer #2

It is showing the cars geometry, if you notice when Steve brakes or downshifts, one red dot goes to the top of the cross, showing the car is putting more weight on the front, and when he accelerates it goes to the botom. When he turns, the other dot goes left or right. Basically think of it as pitch and roll.

Momi's car is AWSOME....no dobt about it.......period. And I've seen Herzel's interview with him, a totally classic car guy. But....(why does there always have to be a "but") ??? Unless I've missed something, all the Utube vids. I've seen show off the car's accelleration in a straight line. I don't recall seeing any footage of that car on a track with curves. To me, It's more of a drag car. Which is great, don't get me wrong, just not my cup of tea. And his car may very well be awsome on the track too, if so, forget everything I just said......... (mulligan/do-over). Just please post the link to that car on a track with other cars for me to see.

I doubt the Graverson X in Sweden or the Di Fulvio X in Italy are any where near 800bhp.

Unfortunatley.... I ain't drove or rode in any of them......so.....never mind.

I don't know if...

...Momi's car even turns. All of the videos are straight street races, most of them from a rolling start, even. Would love to see it run in person, though.

...Momi's car even turns. All of the videos are straight street races, most of them from a rolling start, even. Would love to see it run in person, though.

I wouldnt look down on doing rolling starts. IMO rolling starts show the real speed of a car.

When you go from a stand still a slightly slower car can win with a more skilled drag racer behind the wheel. Where this is more interesting to watch as it involves more driver, its not as good of a benchmark as going from a roll.

Momi's car looks very capable of turning, all I see is hate'n going on in here.

Hi Kelvin

I like you motto.
As far as Momi's on turns - car racing is ILLEGAL in any form in Israel so straight run dragging with very loose reguation is carried on sporadically by delinquate enthusiasts.
That is why all the vids are at night and blurrey. Also, no faces or license plates to identify.
Momi's built for drag and speed, not for autofross of anykind.

It's a pity Nick's car .....

Is no longer around. He was put in close contact with his forebears when a german tourist in a campervan came round a bend on the wrong side of the road.
Nick had nailed the design and installation of the V6 Alfa into the X1-9 so well that a Ed McDonaugh (sp?) from AutoItalia magazine declared it one of the best conversions he'd seen/driven.

http://www.p1x-2000.co.uk/X19 Experience.htm

http://www.p1x-2000.co.uk/Alfa V6 new.htm

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOSPIJylaI"]YouTube- X1/9 V6 progress[/ame]

Although I have no contact with Nick these days (long story) I do hope he rebuilds another car as it was a truly great conversion.:worship:

As to limits on power, Nick's car had around 230 bhp as standard (probably a little more as it was uncatalized and shorn of a full exhaust run). But there are plenty of hi-bux engines out there: Mike Kason's Alfa engined Gp2 racer is/was 360 bhp, the guys in Greece who've been mentioned many times on this site as well as the Norwegian chap with a full-house f.i/turbo/supercharged nitro motor with an outrageous 938 bhp (the crowd sings 'Nearer My God to Thee' each time it rolls out the pits).
To some, the thought of driving round in circles is a non-event. After all, you wouldn't teach a hippo to ballet dance. As someone who watched Slammin' Sammy Miller hit 3.5secs/386 mph in the quarter driving the lunar module motored Vanishing Point at Santa Pod in '82 - sometimes it's just down to speed .....:dance2:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/slammin-sammy-miller-runs-his-oxygen-dragster-at_75434.htm

It occurred to me that the three section upper cross member might have been designed and built this way as part of Bertone's plan to install alternative drive trains.

Interesting observation Bernice. It's the first time I've read this. Sounds very plausible and makes me curious.

Back