Going turbo. stock compression 1500 Fi

ALR11606

Daily Driver
Ok I'm ready to dive into a turbo build new to fiats but not new to boost.

Plans are

Millers mule trigger kit
Megasquirt v3.57 w harness
Chevrolet LS coils wired in wasted spark
Custom manifold with td05 flange
Small 16g td05 turbo
innovative wideband 02 and flexfuel sensor
1000cc ev1 injectors with oring to barb converters
Walboro 255lph pump
Rear mounted intercooler with venting
setrab oil cooler with spal fans

Im wanting to run on the stock internals. What would be a decent safeish number push for on the stock internals, I'm wanting to push for 150 on pump and 200+ on e85

Sorry if this is a very newb question, getting the car running on this setup isn't hard, its the question if the pistons/ rods will handle the abuse.

Also sorry if there are many grammatical errors, im typing this on a phone due to lack of good internet on my base.

Wasn't impressed with the Millers Mule trigger setup. Bought it for a Uno Turbo. Mount is offset so no way to mount it for 10 degrees, had to offset + or - 2 in software. Also the sensor seemed to have to be positioned WAY closer than stock Ford to get a reliable trigger.

I should have had a stock Ford wheel attached to Fiat pulley and used the stock Ford sensor.

Hello Al... Usually we welcome Newbies to...

"the Addiction" or to the "Dark Side"... but in your case, I'd say to "the Insanity".

Whatzamatter for you anyway... you CRAZY?

HA!

What you are attempting to do from what I see you wrote is... exactly what made the Turbo Oldsmobiles of old fail miserably due to a lack of a computer... which you fail to mention as well.

It wasn't until there were reasonable computers that could sense all the variables and make a timely (read immediate) decision as to fuel volume and air/fuel ratios... before an engine with as many variables as a street car has to operate properly.

Don't let me spoil your fun... but if its that kinda reliable hp yur after you probably should look into a K-20 Swap as others have down or are doing. Some have added puffers, but no turbos that I know of.

As far as the bottom end of a 1500 is concerned... it is very robust and a hot-rodded 1600 with a cam, bigger valves, dual carbs and headers could/should probably make TWICE the hp as a stocker, or 130 - 150 hp.

You would probably be very happy with a setup such as this... or as I said earlier, go to an Acura engine swap. You'll be on the road in a tenth of the time it would take to develop a Turbo 1500 and save a bunch of bucks and frustration as well.

Just my humble "opinion" based on watching and listening to folks on this board for over 16 years...

WELCOME! And do post fotos as you progress!

1000cc??

Those injectors are massive for your end goal horsepower. 420cc on pump gas will get you to 220 crank hp, 550cc on e85.

I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm going to run this: HPSI Black BOX to control the fuel, and an MSD boost retard module as required.

PBS had issues it seemed after 10psi, but that was years ago ;)

Hey guys, don't know if i put it in the op but I'm using megasquirt 3 v3.57 for engine managment. I've used megasquirts in the past and loved them.

My big question is will the bottom end hold up. But it also leaves the issue of transmissions and axles.

The k20 swap is very tempting but the big initial cost and not having a full "kit" makes me worry a bit.

Im just researching options. Going turbo is tempting and i know the ins and outs of megasquirt, plus at that point its fuel timing and mechanical strength of the fiat sohc.

I guess I've never driven a x with more that 100hp, the handling is world class, amazing even for the size of rubber under it, but coming from a mr2 spyder and a 300hp 240sx I'm always asking for more coming out of a corner.

I chose 1000cc due to availability used in my area and leaving plenty of room to grow on e85 if i wanted to go nuts,

I have always been told to go with the largest injector that can idle at at good mixture so you don't have to buy them again.

Hey guys, don't know if i put it in the op but I'm using megasquirt 3 v3.57 for engine managment. I've used megasquirts in the past and loved them.

My big question is will the bottom end hold up. But it also leaves the issue of transmissions and axles.

The k20 swap is very tempting but the big initial cost and not having a full "kit" makes me worry a bit.

Im just researching options. Going turbo is tempting and i know the ins and outs of megasquirt, plus at that point its fuel timing and mechanical strength of the fiat sohc.

I guess I've never driven a x with more that 100hp, the handling is world class, amazing even for the size of rubber under it, but coming from a mr2 spyder and a 300hp 240sx I'm always asking for more coming out of a corner.

I chose 1000cc due to availability used in my area and leaving plenty of room to grow on e85 if i wanted to go nuts,

I have always been told to go with the largest injector that can idle at at good mixture so you don't have to buy them again.

Please make sure you document everything you do along the way with your MS. I'd very much like to go that route (have built my own in the past for a turbo miata) and having some documentation/maps to start would be most excellent.

Better off building a fuel rail that will accept the EV1 connection. That's what I did for my LH2.2 conversion. Much easier to service, since the manifold doesn't have to be removed any more to service injectors, etc.

I use 1000cc injectors on my Volvo wagon, and at 500AWHP (26psi on PTE6262bb turbo), I'm only at around 80% duty cycle on pump gas. 500cc would be sufficient for under 200Wheel, even if you did go E85. You will need to replace all you fuel system components to be E85 compatible, of course.

Probably would be wise to get Scat rods. I doubt the stock rods will be happy running against massive torque increase. TD05 16g is also kinda large for only 200horses - probably could get away with a TDO4 15g/16T (T3 flange), since Volvo used that to easily make 220BHP.

I won't be a naysayer, since that's what drove me to push my old Volvo AWD wagon, however I would expect you will be breaking axles, etc, if you do push it over the suggested 130-150HPmark.

Make sure you photo document your build. I for one want to see.

On stock pistons with greater than eight and a half to one compression I'd worry about the effective compression ratio ( ECR). Your going to have to limit the max boost to avoid detonation if you are around nine or >. (1500 EFi USA is ~8.5:1 ?) Check to see if a PO has not increased this to 9.2:1 or greater ( by shaving head or pop up pistons etc). Making these sweet little SOHCs come alive in NA form is about improving the airways (good) and getting static CRs up nearer 10:1 (not good for boosing). So check someone hadn't done this to the motor your working with.

The smaller bore Fiat Uno Turbo pistons had taller lands above the top compression ring and rod and block oil squirters. The stock 1500 has none of these, whilst some think squirters make no difference I have had a different experience when you throw ~20 psi at a high revving SOHC engine - thermal runaway is easy - not pretty either. Whilst ( as I understand it, but someone please correct me ) the 1300 Uno Turbo was based on the tall 1500 14 bolt SOHC block. It can take some decent boost so in answer to you main question the bottom end should be fine, if you attend to straight/smooth block and head with a better head gasket then it will hold together. But your pistons are in for a hard time. I'm not saying you wont see >150 ponies just wondering how reliable. 1,000 cc injectors are way big time over the top, a little over 440cc should get you 150bhp easy if you go too big then metering at lower volumes becomes something you need to watch (can be a problem). Nissan have some stock injectors with hose tails that will get you there fairly cheaply without paffing around with top hat converters to join those tails to the fuel rail. But if you got em' sure why not use em' if you really want superior modern injectors efihardware.com has some decent top hats with a barb on the end. As you probably know the cooling effect of E85 in comparison to 91 gas is desirable.

Biggest issues are the pistons and ECR, rods - I can't comment on 1500 rods as I have only boosted with stock Turbo Uno or Punto rods - never broke one but I can't say that about rod bearings. In short bottom end is fairly solid, just pay attention to bearings and cooling them. Don't rely on the stock temp gauge, it's too slow to react. Cheap insurance is a head temp thermocouple with display from China they are on eVilbay for sustained WOT boosting. Just watch with horror as those temps climb like a surface to air missile if you go for big boost.

The engine management is your biggest headache to keep the AFRs and timing in check. Im fairly sure the M Squirt crowd has a knock sensor solution, mount yours low on the block, near the crankcase oil breather is no good as there is too much valve train noise ( ECU false +ives will retard when you dont need to) . Keep that IC pipework as short as you can, a top mount IC above the gearbox can be made to work. Get rid of the air flow meter ( flap valve ) and use a different strategy to measure air it's a restriction you can do without.

For my two bob if you are just bolting the turbo on without tearing the engine down machining the head/block faces, using a MLS head gasket and replacing the mains / rod big end bearings on an old 1500 then you wou't see reliability at ~150 ponies. If you do go as far as a teardown /refresh then you will ask yourself why not at least throw a set of forged pistons in there whilst the thing is all over your workshop bench. Many far more learned on here than me wisely say have a plan and budget for it ( or keep your plan according to the budget limits ). If you are not concerned about breaking stuff and pulling the motor by all means just 'slap it on' see how far you can go but as soon as you hear the big ends rattle tear it down and you may save it. The first time you pop the head gasket then you should probably need to shop in Europe for a head gasket that will work. Two that worked for me are Spesso & Athena but I don't think the 1500 bore size is available, I faintly remember that NAVA Sport has some 1500 size with seperate fire rings but know of no one who tried them.

10 to 15 psi on 8.5:1 is fairly easy but when you push for 200bhp then the 1500 efi intake is becomming too small, pushing more in will end in grief as the temps will raise and it all becomes a mess of boost detonation with all the heat. Enlarging the runners and changing the throttle valve to ~65mm is a must, but this is hard with the 1500 SOHC EFI manifold as there is little metal to enlarge the inlet runners without punching through. Simplifying the inlet tract and IC pipework helps efficiency thereby using less boost to achieve the same inlet charge means less heat. IHMO moving to a Punto GT inlet manifold and working on that will see more rewards. A 12 volt bilge fan hooked up to the intergrated cooling castings and increasing the throttle valve to something like 65mm helps keep the inlet charge temp down and gulp more airflow. Modern injectors fit in these without hassle, the Punto lads have a Opel favorite upgrade so I imagine there will be a domestic GM equivalent cheap. Anything you can do to keep the inlet charge temp down is well worth while.

There is one on eVilbay UK right now. ( yes a direct fit on the 1500 SOHC head )

I guess these above reasons amongst others (US non availability) are why a lot of folks are cutting engine bays for dropping in K20s.

PBS had issues above 10 psi as the ECUs to control Fuel/Timing were not around - tells you everything - ECU & Mapping, ECU & Mapping, ECU & Mapping.

I have only ever browsed the MSquirt community but I have no doubt they have the gear to achieve good timing/fuel resolution. I broke one Innovate and have heard plenty of first hand complaints, don't rely on it and at least factor dyno time into your budget once you have stitched it all together and done a rough tune.

What you will find on here if you use the very decent search function is the 5 sp trans axle is dubious at the 150 / 200Bhp output. No 1st gear drag launches, shafts will be fine but as I learnt safety wire the CV bolts.

The chassis eats 200Bhp all day long

Best of luck

Sandy

Last edited:
turbo

as far as the drivetrain is concerned, the weak link besides the tranny,(no speed shifts), are the bolts that secure the cv joints to the stub axles.
had a vendor come in once, and had asked for grade 10, or aircraft quality bolts to replace them. he told me grade 10 and above have a better tensile rating (stretch) but the same shear (side load) rating as a grade 5. the only way to fix the problem I thought might happen, was to drill for a larger bolt. never had to do that as of yet and not saying you have to, but keep that in mind before your first hole shot.:whistle:
mikemo

Its starting to seem like boosting the 1500 isn't worth it from the replies I've been getting, I'm guessing the reason for bearings not holding is the small journal diameters, which is great for NA high revs but the extreme cylinder pressure of a turbo must spread the oil away.

You all are making want to not deal with the headache and go all motor or swap in a different engine.

Big cam,megasquirt efi, 11:1 compression, good header/exhaust, BVH , and diy individual throttle bodies might be the way to go. The stock rods cleaned up with new bolts can take a fair bit of rpm with lighter pistons and pins hanging off them cant they?

hp vs torque

any thing over 100 hp will throw you back in the seat being a small, light car and seeing that stock was about 60, 70 tops. unless you want to drag race, don't overpower the suspension. I have seen the drag race white x (youtube) that has wheelie bars and lifts the front wheels on launch.... not what you want curving corners.
build something tractable and will grab you by the seat of your pants.
also consider the amount of heat the turbo generates. unless you open the engine compartment somehow, the heat is not good for the motor.
go for a drive for an hour and open the hood and feel how hot it is in there... now add 100 degrees or more. had a customer years ago who stuffed a turbo in his x and was back every month buying parts that got toasted with his turbo install.
maybe some algon fuel injection with stacks sticking out the engine cover.:excited:
mikemo

Hey Al... the problem we Californians have is weather...

and we find extreme modifications... hell, even an oil change... takes us away from DRIVING our gutless wonders.

You'll see our Northeastern and Canadian brothers doing some INCREDIBLE work whilst they are holed-up for 9 months in the snow, sleet and hail. I believe you folks only have a bit of snow and actually, for all the ponies it lacks, the X1/9 can dodge Tornadoes quite well.

Don't let me spoil yur fun... but do post photos and videos!

I wouldn't be so quick to be negative. It is a matter of degree.

I would bet that a low pressure boost (7 lbs max) would likely not be a huge problem for the car given the low compression. If you chose a small turbo that spooled up early you would get a nice thick torque band at a much more reasonable rpm.

If you look at the old school 124 Turbo by Legend Industries from the early 80's, they were pretty low pressure and didn't change much internally on the engine (if at all in my recollection).

Adding an intercooler would help keep things cool. With the integration of Megasquirt you could certainly integrate a fueling map and a knock sensor that would ensure a decently rich mixture and ignition retard under boost to stave off detonation.

As others have rightly stated getting the full meal deal out of this engine requires notable mechanical changes. Making a full on turbo motor you would likely want to start where Fiat left off with the Uno Turbo motor, which had significant mechanical differences to accommodate full boost.

Don't be discouraged

Mikemo is spot on the X is light/nimble, 150 is heaps as that Nissan is a truck by comparison if that is where you got the E85 number let go of 200 target first time up, but I disagree about the X remaining unsuitable for a turbo. I'm agreeing with Karl, "we'z talking about da management" modern high CR engines exist because they are managed by smart ECUs that didn't exist when Legend Industries was putting puffers on 124's.

Cooling is key, no rain tray, opening up the side scoops ( adding engine bay underside scoops !! ), some underside fans on the IC, correct sized in and out pipework. Work on making incremental steps on this motor, while you are busy breaking it start hording parts, you guys have so many 1500's laying around find a decent (straight) 14 bolt block and take the lessons you learn from your first one and build a built proof puppy. You'll have a $#t grin you will find hard to wipe off your face when you turn it off and get out of it.

There are a lot of folks here that want you to succeed, (some have said so by asking you to document it because emulating what works is easier) its just that the spare 'parts bin' in the America's didn't get Fiat SOHC Turbo bits and the natural choice for such a nice chassis is NA. The previous boosting experience you have had with the SX, MR2 and importantly with the MSquirt may make you their poster child. The availability of a cheap ECU has held boosting the SOHC back as we are predominately Fiattightfisters with our limmited cash. So spending $2k on a proper ECU/compressor setup/dyno time makes us think twice.

I get the feeling you understand that once you step outside of standard equipment and hardware the stock ECU will suffer and "premapped" chips can't cope. From personal experience you do not want to lean burn the engine out - go rich once you stitch it together and work you way back to a leaner burn for greater HP. Blowing a SOHC can be done but it isn't easy as folk first imagine by just bolting a blower on, the 240SX engine bay has acres of space around a far more modern engine designed to accept more air into the cylinders and space for a big front mount IC in lots of air that can take the abuse from errors of poor thermal design, the X because of its packaging its problematic as a single inlet valve and low airflow over most of the hot bits in mid mount config' make it harder to shove air in and dispose of heat.

Individual velocity stacks are good for a broad torque curve when compared to a helmholtz plenum setup, but in a boosted application to get each intake runner to act as an IR requires a rather large plenum volume. 200 300 percent of displacement if I recall correctly. With a plenum of that size it starts to become less important where the TB is mounted in relation to the intake runner entrances but where are you going to find space for that plenum volume?

There are routes to a reliable 150bhp (91 octane) on a fresh ~1500cc motor but the heat you will generate pumping ~ 20 or +psi will see losses as you chase 200. If you don't manage them it will end in tears. The harder you try to shove air into a small hole the bigger the thermal load gets and just like you may have experienced with the MR2 there's little air flowing around in the little 'hot box' engine bay, the reverse flow head in the X is also ancient by comparison. Head over to the Punto forums and hoover up the examples of what works with the 8v Fiat turbos the MkI / GT is so similar you can just transfer the examples across. If you are going to Fab your own dump/exhaust then look for the 'Dr Evil elbow' and attend to the correct diameter and length, there is enough room between the turbine exhaust flange and the alternator for a decent radius - use all of it and shield the alt' from the latent heat.

That turbo is too big for my taste, your engine proposal is 8.5:1 (1500cc) so perhaps consider the smaller compressors.

Let me try and explain ECR ( apologies if I am telling you how to suck eggs if you already understand this ), I am going to exaggerate to illustrate what I'm trying to convey so take a pinch of salt.

Stay low as a higher static compression creates more power throughout the entire RPM band, but it'll lower your maximum allowed boost before the onset of detonation. Boost is worth way more power than compression, because boost raises your compression and your total air flow at the same time. With the down side of, when you're not on the boost, you have slightly less (or if you choose the wrong compressor a lot less) horsepower.

As I understand it (but anyone please chime in if you have better info):

Effective Compression Ratio = static compression ratio x (1 + boost/14.7)^1/2

For a car running 8.5:1 pistons and 18psi (~max on 91 octane unleaded) 8.5 x (1 + 18/14.7)^1/2 = 12.67 ECR

If you run 9.0:1 pistons and want to maintain the same 12.67 ECR (~max on 91 octane unleaded), you'll have to lower your boost to: 14.4psi

So you have to run 3.6 psi less boost to maybe pick up a tiny bit of bottom end due to the NA nature of the higher static compression. Or to take it even further for 9.5:1 CR you can only run 11.4psi. I'll point out right now that the difference between 11.4psi and 18psi is massive.

At some point say for giggles 12.5:1 you can run very little boost and be maxed out on the ECR for 91 octane unleaded. And how fast is a N/A car with 12.67:1 compression, I'm sure you can ask the Honda guys running ~15's.

Of course if you swing too far in the opposite direction things don't end well either and you turned the car into a gutless ride on lawnmower. A car with 6.0:1 isn't much good on the street, but it can run 50.8 psi boost on 91 octane unleaded if boasting about big numbers floats your boat. But the kind of turbo that could support that much boost would hardlyr spool up in the life of this little engine. You have to find what's right for you, but 8.5:1 is what most of us old turbo guys like. I know of a bloke that just built a motor for his 8 valve 4 pot SOHC Pug motor with 9.5:1 pistons and he is quite upset to find that he's getting lots of knock running just 16psi. While lately in the cold weather, I've been running 20psi (8.5:1) on 91 octane unleaded * WOT without any knock. I drove his car and the difference in bottom end grunt isn't decidedly noticeable, the kicker is his top end performance is sad compared to mine.

I don't think it is a case of the journals being too small, I have a firm belief that the the lack of thermal containment gives the oily bits a hard time when you aim at high levels of boost. Anything will collapse and die under those conditions. The Fiat Turbo blocks had oil sprays tapped into the mains supply and an oil feed to the turbo drilled into the main rising feed in the centre of the block (which wouldn't fit with a 1500 bore so don't try). The pistons are not just low compression, the ring landings are taller as well to prevent the rings getting overheated and avoid cracking of the piston crown (that's why I say just find some turbo pistons and see how far you can go). The turbo rods had two pin hole oil sprayers in the big end, so all this tells me the engineering boffins at Fiat were trying to get rid of heat and keep the reciprocating parts slippery.

The piston "ring landing" refers to the gap between the first ring recess and the crown of the piston. On NA cars this gap is quite small but on turbo cars where there can be a substantial thermal gradient between the two points it can lead to fatigue of the metal with obvious detrimental effect. To counter this the ring recesses are cut further down the piston.

The validity of the oil spray is a debated subject - it isn't unique to Fiat or even to turbo cars but many engines do perfectly well without them. The addition of these sprays is a matter of tapping into the main oil galley and simply screwing the spray heads in. The one thing I don't have for reference is where to find a spray setup with an arm long enough so they can be off to the side and allow it to be pointed in the right spot as the rods will hit the BMW ones I thought might work, something you would perhaps need to investigate if you do build one from the ground up.

The extra heat causes some of the blocks to distort (IMHO these engines have basically the same problem but less apparent), the engine still runs but you will never get the extra power you were hoping for. I'd be real interested to hear what you end up achieving. Drilling two pin holes in the rod big ends isn't rocket surgery - maybe that will be enough * < 15psi.

That basically skims over the top of some of it. I try to make sure my information is straight before posting but I am a novice so I make the regular mistake. So don't take my posts as the complete and only truth. But take this one to the bank :

With turbos pick the smaller one with the better efficiency where the engine speed is most of the time for your driving style. Bigger is not always logically better.

If you go bumping up the power on N/A then you will be pulling down anyway - boosting has bigger gain so don't chicken out now.

Were all rooting for you!!

My best
Sandy

If i go turbo ill be sticking with a fi intake manifold for the time being, the reasoning for flex fuel capability is is on the fly map switching, with megasquirt 3 it uses a program to continually vary ignition , boost map(when using a electronic boost solenoid), and fuel maps based on ethanol content.

This allows you to have a 150 to 200whp pump gas engine and when you pump in e85 with its cooling properties and 105 octane rating, you can bump timing or boost or both up by alot. Plus it continually varies based on ethanol content so you never worry about the mixture in the tank.

I chose the 16g because it can easily support 300hp if the chassis can keep up. The car will have coilovers, 15x8 wheels and sticky 205 tires, so im confident that if then chassis only needs minimal bracing it should take 300whp eventually with ease.

The reason for being so power hungry...other than the crazy grin you get when the boost builds...is because im wanting to run in time attack events with this car, cornering speed is there but it doesn't mean a thing if the car cant get down a straight quick enough to post a fast time.

Also where is a good LSD available for the 5 speed trans?

How much power do you want? The x1/9 chassis will support most any amount of power the drive train can dish at it..

The stock 1500cc engine is not a good candidate for turbo as it was never designed for a turbo. The Uno turbo block has coolant circulation around the cylinders beyond the oil jets and more. This is why the Uno turbo block has lower displacement. The stock 1500cc block has Siamesed cylinders which significantly increases cylinder rigidity.

Smaller rod bearing journals (about 1.8" dia) is very common in real race engines. The NASCAR brigade and many others use the smallest bearing journals possible to reduce friction. Reducing friction increased power at the flywheel with no loss in durability or engine reliability if properly engineered.

The stock transaxle is good for about 130 lb/ft MAX. gear boxes are rated by torque, not horsepower.

Much above 300 hp/300 lb/ft in ANY vehicle weighing about 2000 pounds will be traction limited. The problem becomes less with power and FAR more with getting that power to the ground and properly controlling it. This is the reason why aerodynamic grip has become such an important aspect of modern race car design. Sure one can put 1000+ Bhp into the x1/9 chassis.. question is getting that power to the ground and being able to control all that power.

*How long can the throttle be held wide open in any road car with less than 10 pounds/ hp?

IMO the best stock offering for turbo engine is the SAAB B204 and B234, pre GM. These engines can easily handle 500 Bhp at 450 lb/ft with stock internals all day long with proper cooling oil system and engine management. The problem with this amount of power is gear box and getting that power to the ground with excellent control.

Bernice

bernice/turbo

hay sis haven't seen your knowledge on the forum in a while.:excited:
if you do turbo....and nowdays the choices are vast....the demise of the 124 turbo was the costumers who bought them. water cooled and/or oil, don't repeat the mistake they made. legend had a great setup in the day, but drivers would not heed the owners manual and let the motor idle for 5-10 minutes and let the turbo spool down and cool off which led to the bearings "coking" up smoking the oil in the turbo.
they would do a canyon blast and go home and just shut it off. there was a TSB reminding all dealerships to stress the importance of letting the turbo cool off. we probably replaced one every other month or so.
you might consider removing the sheet metal between the engine and rear trunk. besides giving you room to install, the added area might allow for more heat dissipation.
good luck on whichever path you take!!
mikemo

I'm going to try to keep the rear sheetmetal or modify it to separate engine from the intercooler area use a diffuser/scoop to direct air from under the car to the intercooler through a tunnel and released to the low pressure area at the back of the car in the middle right below the taillight/license plate area. This would pull air through the intercooler fast and provide the car with a good bit of downforce in the rear on higher speed corners without the use of a wing. I might try to figure out a oil cooler in that tunnel as well

(from Jan 22 2011, thread locked so couldn't quote?)

Turbo 86mm bore engine isn't the best option, Fiat never turbocharged the 86/86.4 versions of this engine, and probably for good reason.

86.4mm bore + overbore doesn't leave a lot of headgasket between the bores and the bores themselves are siamesed in the block.

The UnoT's at 80.5mm bore have considerably more head gasket between the bores, as well as having waterjacket completely around each cylinder in the block, and the block fitted oil sprayers for under piston cooling

The 86.0/86.4 engines have cylinders 1/2 and 3/4 siamesed and there is no water flow completely around the bore...

Sure people have done it, but how long will a high boost motor with these compromises last?

Quite simply capacity is a secondary consideration when you boost an engine...you could make up for it with just a couple more pounds of positive pressure.

SteveC

Back