GOOD wheel balance in the OC???

BrianM

'74 - Blue Bomber
Asked the guys at Discount Tire to not put hammer on weights on the outside of my shinny new polished rims, thinking they would use chrome stick-on weights.

They did a "static balance" and now I have vibration at freeway speed.

Where can I go In So Cal Orange County area to get this done right before I drive up to Tony's?

Thanks,
BrianM

Brian... you want a dynamic balance and weights installed...

... on the INSIDE lip. Or taped on the inside...

Once done... you STILL may have vibraion due to TWO other possibilities...

As Recardo stated... the "hub concentric" AND also the "lug concentric" issues can cause a centrifical WOBBLE... or RUNOUT, whereas the tire kinda appears OUT OF ROUND.

By spinning the tire and looking at a static reference point this can often be seen... and it can be further ANNOYED by UNEVEN torquing of the lug nuts or bolts.

Also make sure your spacers are clean and the wheel fits FLAT against them and the hub.

Then using a torque wrench, tighten to 60 pounds evenly.. and then check for runout again by spinning the tire.

I have this VERY same problem right now as I removed the front two tires and reinstalled them... and did NOTHING else. I now have vibrations and some runout on the LF tire... (and noooo, I did not loose any weights!)

(I could kick myself... as I have NOT been able to find the problem and remove the runout as yet. I'm now trying to rotate the wheel 90 degrees on the hub and test again. But I've had this problem before and cured it before... so I KNOW I can cure it again.)

LASTLY... There is a shop here in Newhall called R&S Automotive that uses a "HUNTER" balancer that LOAD BALANCES tires DYNAMICALLY... for 100 bucks a set. This machine applies PRESSURE (simulating the weight of the car) while the tire spins... and then caluculates the weights to add. I had this done on my Vette and it made a world of difference...

I really believe you have a torque issue or off-center or cocked issue though, and would check that first. Then if you cannot MAKE A DIFFERENCE... or cure it... then seek out a shop that has these kinda high end balancers... in your area.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 25th!

Ok Brian I will tell you a secret but dont let it get out. Take them to Coast General Tire on Harbor blvd in Costa Mesa. That is where Ferrari and Rolls take there cars... And it wont be expensive.. Just tell Ray that Jeff Johnson Sent you...

balance

if your tires are new you should drive about 25 miles with no weights it seats the tire real well then have them balanced. i never trust any of those big shops either they can rip your wheels up with that bead breaking machine

I'll go there Sat. Thanks for the tip!

Ok Brian I will tell you a secret but dont let it get out. Take them to Coast General Tire on Harbor blvd in Costa Mesa. That is where Ferrari and Rolls take there cars... And it wont be expensive.. Just tell Ray that Jeff Johnson Sent you...

Thanks

I have "acorn toped lug bots" I had hoped they would center the wheels but I see your point. I plan on changing to lug nuts, but in the meantime I'm going to get them balanced properly, tell them about the centering issue, and see what happens. Update at your place, I hope.

BrianM

... on the INSIDE lip. Or taped on the inside...

Once done... you STILL may have vibraion due to TWO other possibilities...

As Recardo stated... the "hub concentric" AND also the "lug concentric" issues can cause a centrifical WOBBLE... or RUNOUT, whereas the tire kinda appears OUT OF ROUND.

By spinning the tire and looking at a static reference point this can often be seen... and it can be further ANNOYED by UNEVEN torquing of the lug nuts or bolts.

Also make sure your spacers are clean and the wheel fits FLAT against them and the hub.

Then using a torque wrench, tighten to 60 pounds evenly.. and then check for runout again by spinning the tire.

I have this VERY same problem right now as I removed the front two tires and reinstalled them... and did NOTHING else. I now have vibrations and some runout on the LF tire... (and noooo, I did not loose any weights!)

(I could kick myself... as I have NOT been able to find the problem and remove the runout as yet. I'm now trying to rotate the wheel 90 degrees on the hub and test again. But I've had this problem before and cured it before... so I KNOW I can cure it again.)

LASTLY... There is a shop here in Newhall called R&S Automotive that uses a "HUNTER" balancer that LOAD BALANCES tires DYNAMICALLY... for 100 bucks a set. This machine applies PRESSURE (simulating the weight of the car) while the tire spins... and then caluculates the weights to add. I had this done on my Vette and it made a world of difference...

I really believe you have a torque issue or off-center or cocked issue though, and would check that first. Then if you cannot MAKE A DIFFERENCE... or cure it... then seek out a shop that has these kinda high end balancers... in your area.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 25th!

Did the Fiat Bore change?

The diameter on the inside of by hub is 50mm?

The outside diameter is 58mm

My wheel is 60mm

I think I need 50 to 60mm centering rings, right?

Brian

So did you go to Coast General Saturday? I was there getting the Family car some tires.... But was unsure if you made it out... I am running spacers from Serpent autosport on the Dallara...

Next Sat

Figured I should try to get the centering spacers first.

BrianM

So did you go to Coast General Saturday? I was there getting the Family car some tires.... But was unsure if you made it out... I am running spacers from Serpent autosport on the Dallara...

Back