GOP Debates

IMHO, there seems to be a lot of libertarians who blame the USA for Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, and every act of terror ever committed. American hegemony can be blamed for most of the world's ills.

But I do admire their principles of limited government, liberty and personal responsibility.

What about N. Korea?

There was all kinds of campaign talk back in the day about not letting N. Korea develop nuclear weapons, and now they have it. Has it changed anything? Are things any worse?

Perhaps the more salient question...

is, how much of OUR ills are attributable to the attempt to maintain an increasingly fictional hegemony? Especially by the constant presence of military force in other soveriegn nations.

Yeah, N. Korea.....

presents a kind of special case and my opinion is that such extremes are best left out of a general theory. In the end it is China's problem anyway-by which I mean they are the only ones in a position to actually effect any real improvement. All the well intentioned round tables and summits, etc. are good showmanship from a diplomatic perspective but it might be better to just state our carrot(we are everyone's friend when it comes to commercial relations) and our stick (use nuclear weapons and there will be no more N. Korea for anyone to bother with), and then shut up. leave the door open but don't make much effort to beg them in for tea.
I don't put Iran in the same club. Iran, for all its domestic awfulness is not the Howard Hughes of the world community that N. Korea is. They want to play on the world stage and they know that there are rules involved in that. Like any slightly doctrinaire regime they will push things as far as they can, but that may not be nearly as far as the more hysterical factions in the neo-con community believe. And they already know that a number of nukes are already pointing at them.

There was all kinds of campaign talk back in the day about not letting N. Korea develop nuclear weapons, and now they have it. Has it changed anything? Are things any worse?

I suppose as long as we continue to be successful interdicting NK shipments to Iran, Syria and elsewhere, things won't get worse.

Back