Got a ride in a Nissan Gt-R today

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
A family friend bought a 2012 Nissan Gt-R recently and brought it to out Labor Day picnic today. He was offering rides, so I jumped at the chance. We were out in farm country in Southern Illinois with plenty of room to open it up.

Once we got to the edge of town he stopped the car and then did a standing start with the launch control turned on. What an amazing car. From a dead stop the Gt-R hit 103mph in the blink of an eye with absolutely no drama... other than the G force shoving you straight back in the seat. I was stunned by the power.

He also did a full stop from about 60mph in a very short distance. He told me to brace myself for the stop, because it throws you forward into the belts. I didn't think he meant it and just kinda sat up little straighter. I should have listened to him. Ouch. It stops as well as it goes. :)

I think the neatest thing is that this Gt-R is pretty stealthy. It has a tame silver metallic paint job and doesn't really let on that what's underneath is basically a street legal race car. He also has a Mustang GT Super Snake that is painted in "Arrest Me Red" with stripes everywhere and giant scoops. He draws a lot of unwanted attention in that car. Having ridden in both cars, I definitely get the appeal of each, but I think I prefer the Gt-R.

Monster car, JimD!

They usually have one on the showroom floor over at the local Nissan dealer, which I drool over as I await the oil change on my 350Z.

I would love to take one out for a spin.

I was just a passenger

The owner did not offer to let me drive, and if he had, I probably would have politely declined. I was plenty happy just getting to experience the ride. :)

Back