Got around to tearing down a spare 1500

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
I have a spare 1500 modded engine that I finally starting tearing down. I discovered some goodies like the IAP autocross cam, big valves (haven't measured yet) and ross racing pistons. DCNF's and sprint mani are already off.

Interesting the guy I had gotten this off a couple years ago said "It sure gets a lot of blow-bye - so much I fed it into a spare expansion tank". I was puzzled by this but I figured its possible if the compression was high enough and a catch tank is not a bad idea but I don't think using a perfectly good SS expansion tank was the right solution :)

I had tried starting it and it never ran well and compression tests were all over the place so I figured bad valve or 2, head gasket and since I was planning on tearing it down at some point I would soon find out.

When I popped the head bolts out, the head lifted right off. I mean, not even a slight bit of trouble. I was a little shocked and expected some effort.

vavles and pistons look ok however I found this:
Image092.jpg

on the block and this on the matching location on the head:

Image090.jpg

This was located near the piston (#1) that reveled the weakest compression.

So what I believe happened is the PO torqued down the head across the dowel, squashed it down and left a nice little gap for compression and everything else to escape.

I will take the block and head to a shop. I am not sure what they can do for the head; I haven't measured it yet so not sure if it needs to be decked, how much space there is to take off.

-Tim

Ain't the PO an amazing creature?

And isn't the Fiat SOHC another amazing creature? Not sure which is more surprising, that the :devil::dunce: could have done that :hammer: to the motor, or that the motor didn't spew oil, coolant, and head gasket all over the engine bay.

!

WOW! DIY DISASTER!

The pictures were entertaining though, thanks!

Hopefully the head isn't warped beyond repair. If they've already plained the head for higher compression (most likely), you may not have much left that you can remove.

There are thicker head Gaskets that you can use though to compensate.

Make sure the repair shop has all the correct specs before they go planing off the head, unless you want 12:1 compression......

Also realized the engine is missing oil return pipe...

How the heck did this thing get any oil moving around is beyond me. I found a brass fitting on the firewall side of the engine installed in a plug on the block that could have been used for some form of external oil pump? I dont know.

I don't have a spare one of these.

missing_pipe.JPG

-Tim

Better check carefully on everything else in this engine.. So far it appears some one has been "tinkering" with it in more ways than one.

Bernice

How the heck did this thing get any oil moving around is beyond me. I found a brass fitting on the firewall side of the engine installed in a plug on the block that could have been used for some form of external oil pump? I dont know.

I don't have a spare one of these.

-Tim

Back