Got my X

PaulD

Paul Davock
After lurking on Xweb for the last year, I got an 87 Bertone with 35,000 miles last month, and have officially joined Xweb.

The good news: the car is very restorable: most of the bits are there and have not been festered. It started its life in Pennsylvania, and then was imported to Ontario. The engine is strong, the upholstery is good, belts and hoses have been changed, new tires. Everything except the AC works.

The bad news. Two rust pin holes on either side of the driver's door (which of course will be larger when I get into them), a rusted section on the left side of the front trunk (how did that happen?), surface rust by the front emblem, and at the front edge of the hood, several small dents, faded paint, bad synchros in second and third, some bad weatherstripping, two bent wheels, and the dogy solonoid on the starter that folks have been talking about recently.

I am just making plans as to how to go about the restoration. Right now I am thinking of geting everything mechanical done up right over time, and then take it all apart for paint.

I know I want more power, and am undecided as to how far to go with other modifications. I will decide as I drive it and consult with you all.

What I know is that this car is really fun to dirve. Such a feel for the road. I have been a happy guy since getting it.

In my year of lurking, I have appreciated the knowledge and support that is aviailable on Xweb.

Congrats Paul

Sounds like you have a good plan. Get it running well so you can enjoy it and worry over the beautification later. :)

Drive the car.

Drive the car, then drive it some more. Post pictures, then drive the car. Did I mention drive the car?

Welcome to the 'shoot em' firstiest, dog-gone worstiest bunch uh hombres whatever packed a baby Miura.' THAT'S who we are.:grouphug:

Drive the car. Post pictures. Drive the car.

Rinse, repeat.

Welcome... now post some fotos, dammit! HA!

Geez... I bet yur young too...

If you've really been studying this site, then ya KNOW its best to ask here first before doing ANYTHING on that car. It'll save ya time, money and frustration... even when ya think ya know it all. Trust me on this one.

Looking forward to SEEING you and YOUR car...

Congrats Paul. If you're anything like the rest of us you'll enjoy wrenching on it as much as you enjoy driving it. They're great little cars.

I just got a running X after years of putting off restoring my '76. I'm loving it, so I know how you feel. I'd forgotten how delightfully simple they are to own and maintain.

Have fun,

///Mike

Pictures

Here is my first attempt at posting pictures. They were takes as I picked up the car (that is me filling out the forms for the purchase).

No Tony, I am not young, recently retired in fact.

fiat1.jpg

By pauld348 at 2009-06-19
fiat3.jpg

fiat4.jpg

Car looks good Paul

Welcome to the party!

Since we have such a short driving season up in this neck of the woods, try to enjoy her as much as you can.
Fall time is for cleanup, winter is for parts restoration if you're into that kind of thing.
I had to buy 2 so I could do both. (drive one, work on the other)
We're getting lots of rain here lately, so I'm doing more work than driving over the last couple weeks.

Your car looks good according to the photos. Looks like you've got a great little ride there
and you've come to the right place if you need (literally) anything for it.

Enjoy!

looks good Paul

get her on the road asap as Bob says and have fun
you can work on her this winter

Thank for the pics:)

HEY-HEY-HEY!!! Looks like ya scored well on all counts...

The car looks to be a great find... although I'll haveta defer you to Mr. Bob Brown because of the color. He only works on RED and BLUE cars...

It would also appear that a few hours with some compounds and Armor-all would do some wonders for that ride.

So please accept my OFFICIAL welcome now... and its good ta have some more senior folks around. I sometimes get intimidated by all the "youth and and good looks" I'm surrounded by... We need some more "old age and treachery" to balance the equation a bit.

BTW, what kinda work did ya do... I'm a retired (2000) AT&T manager... but worked in the "field" also for many years also.

Wait a minute here...

Recently retired? And taking a look at the photo of you signing the papers.... is that you, "W"? :confuse2:

Just kidding. Congratulations on the car, it looks great! Have fun.

Pete

I was thinking the same...

I've got another 10 years to go and he already looks better than me.
Genetics... counts for something.... :nana:

Don't sweat it. You are lookin' good BobbyB!!!

Here you can see Bob bending over the front of his X, somewhat similar to Paul's stance. Whoa!!! Wait!!! I can't see Bob's X!!

( With a nod to Groucho for the inspiration on the zinger! :clap: )

Gotta love that pic Bob :nana:

Now, if only you had a dollar for everytime have I posted it.
one_dollar_jim.jpg

It's official.....

Ex-President George Washington Bush is now and affirmed X-head.

So tell us Mr. President....how is the sorting of the X coming along
in light of international policy.

I'd bet your security detail has to follow you when you drive this eh?:clap:

Recently retired, that's young

Herzel, at 71 in 3500 years old Israel.
To qoute ol' Tony "you must enjoy working on the car as mauch as you enjoy driving it"

Off subject, but...

A "Howdy Neighbor" shout-out to Tom,
Everett and I are here in New Lebanon, Ohio.

Franco at Franco's Ristorante Italiano on Fifth street in Dayton, was in his youth, a Fiat mechanic. Try the veal parmesan, you can cut it with a fork.

Very nice X, love the Ferrari red and the speedlines. Is the discoloration mostly dust? You'll have to talk with JJ about refurbing the paint to show quality. :headbang:

hey Paul

just met Serg the guy you bought your x from
Great guy and what an x enthusiast, he needs to belong to this site.
How in the heck did I miss your x for sale it was practically next door to me.

Back