Gran Finale

Rogerthat

True Classic
Does anyone here have one? Any pics? Especially the gran finale badging? I have tried searching info on the car and have found the following (comment if you know any incorrect or additional info):

The last production models sold over the 1989/1990 period. They were a dealer modification of the Special Edition (known as the SE) of the 1988/1989 models with the addition of a rear spoiler and Gran Fianle badges. These cars were all carb/no fuel injection, right hand drive and have rainbow/lollipop style interiors.

I have found some pics on the net of X's that claim they are Gran Finale but do not have the badging, which I believe these cars are the Special Edition and not the Gran Fianle dealer option.

I think those badges you are referring to

were attached to both sides on the rear fenders in place of a black out plate where the US models has the marker lights and the UK models have the front indicator repeater lights.

Kinda cheesy looking and peeled/faded rather quickly. Bertone lid emblems remained the same.

You can see it on the right side of this photo... sometimes offered on UK eBay.
BADGE.jpg

ng randolph, What is the badge on the front quarter panel on your pic, about the same place where the so called ferrari donkey badge is on some x1/9s? That rectangle badge is where I thought the Gran Fianle was.

Nuccio Bertone

It is not clear from that photo what the badge is, but a few pages later they show this:

Ward_Grand_Finale_59.jpg

Last edited:
"Nuccio Bertone" signature decal..........!

It is not clear from that photo what the badge is,................

That "Nuccio" decal was used on the '77-78 'Serie Speciale' 1300 X's, on the side of the LH front wing. With these models, the decal also included a Series reference no. (my '78 SS is no. 3777), together with a flag representing the country into which the particular car was to be delivered from the factory. In the case of my X, the flag is the British Union Jack, meaning that the car was initially despatched to UK.
I think that some later model X's also used just the plain 'signatured' decal - maybe VS's and Gran Finale's.

cheers, Ian - NZ

Those plain signatured decals, were applied to the front wing, I believe only on the drivers/RHS, on SE's and GF's. As with Steve Panteras ebay sale, these were blue for mica blue cars and red for the mica red ones. My car has had the driver's side fender resprayed at some point, by the PO, so have lost the decal :( I guess I should have bought one while they where still available!
Another change to the last models (which actually occurred before the SE/GF range), is that there was no longer any B pillar/roll-over loop badging. Bit of a shame really as I quite liked the stylised font.

As for GF's these had the further badging:

On the inside, below the glove box door, beside the signature emblem would be attached the small chrome plated Gran Finale plastic badge. (See lower badge in pic).

And two of the larger Gran Finale badges were fixed over the "blanking" plates where the US marker lights would be on the rear fenders. This, along with the interior badge and spoiler were fitted by the dealers so the method of fixing may vary from car to car, but the ones I have which I removed from a scrapper where simply stuck on top of the existing plates. I haven't used them because their not in the best condition, the plating has long since been polished off! But I still plan to keep them!
CIMG8739s.jpg

Eeeeekk.............!!

Jeez, that guy's prices are ...................scary!! :shock2:

Are his X parts NOS, or used??

cheers, Ian - NZ

Yeah Ian very scary!

Looks like he sold some of those decals after I originally posted them but his claim to fame has always been that million dollar headlight switch :pigsfly:

the grand finale's were a UK special with the dealers just sticking badges on them on import. They were all made about march/april 1988 in one final batch. All the Uk cars were imported at about the same time and kept in storage by Fiat UK. The ONLY reason some were registered later eg 1989/90 was that they were old stock! The last one registered in the Uk I think was 1990. The reason for that, as confirmed to me by Fiat UK at the time, was that it dropped off their manifest and was found in the corner of the storage field much later and then put out or sale!
I met the owner of that car some years ago and explained to him that it wasn't built in 1990 as he thought or the last built!
The last batch all had the Mica blue/red paint OZ wheels; and either blue or red/blue alcantara trim on seats and doors.
Paul
xx

Back