Great River Road cruise - May 31

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
While we don't have an ocean here in the Midwest, we do have the Mighty Mississippi!! Jeremy decided we need to take a cruise down the Great River Road to get a late lunch in Hardin, Il. So we gathered all "available" FLOSTL (Fiat/Lancia of St. Louis) members together and headed out. Of course, Jeremy and I were the only available FLOSTL members, so it was a small contingent. :)

Anywho... It was an absolutely beautiful day for a drive. 83F and partly sunny. We headed out about 1:30PM with Jeremy in his really yellow 128 sedan and me in black 86. I forgot to take any pre-launch pics because we were talking to some folks that had stopped to look over Jeremy's 128. Did I mention it is REALLY YELLOW? It gets a lot of attention. I feel like the ugly sister whenever our cars are together.

While we had these witnesses, we made sure that this was an "official" Fiat drive by performing a road side part replacement. Jeremy has been doing battle with a flaky voltage regulator and since his 128 and my 78 X use the same external VR, I pulled the VR off my 78 for him to use till he can get replacement. Jeremy swapped the VR quickly while I explained to the onlookers that the procedure was purely ceremonial. ;) In return, Jeremy brought me a 32 DATRA to put on my ailing 78. Hopefully I can get the 78 rolling again soon.

I finally did pull out my cheap little digi-cam and grab some photos on the way to Hardin and back. The scenery was really pretty and the river was high, but fortunately not too high. We ate at a little riverside restaurant and lunch was very good. I had a tasty cheeseburger with no fries, cause I was eating light due to my diet. Jeremy said he was going to eat light too, so he just had fried mushrooms and then washed that appetizer down with a huge piece of "Rock Slide" pie. You had to see it to believe it. Apparently, Jeremy really likes pie. :)

We sat out on a shady porch overlooking the water. It was really picturesque... someone really should have taken a picture. Sigh. I always forget the pictures till its too late. Even a picture of the pie would have been nice. :(

Here are a few pictures I did take while we were driving along at high speed. And yes, for all those worriers... I did set my beer down whenever I snapped a pic. Safety first!!

This is me. Look how focused I am on the road.:

Scenery from the Great River Road:

The Alton Illinois bridge over the Mighty Mississippi:

It was a glorious drive and we made it with no major car trouble. :)

Thanks Tony

I definitely need to go back in the fall when the trees are changing color. If I get the timing right it should make for some great pictures. I will be sure to take a better camera too.

Hey... and some close-ups too... don't let that little yellow car...

... get too far ahead of ya...

HA!

And with some PEOPLE posing as well... like this one maybe...

EddieTheBabe03.jpg

Wow, Mr. Young... I didn't notice until now...

... that there is actually a CAR in the picture too!

HAHAHA...

This is almost 10 years ago when my brother was showing off his 'Stang at a Mission Bay car show. Long story behind it all... some other time...

BUT... I hope I got my point across to the OTHER Jim! HAHAHA!

At 58 (my age now) my dad baught

a new 67 Mustang. Really was funny, as I was with him and he was wanting me to edge him on to getting it. I got my licence that summer and had frequent access to it. Had I known what I do now about presserving ,it would still be on the road. It was bronze ,black vinyl top, 289 auto.

Hey... I never really liked them... but I did like the...

... car in its ORIGINAL form... that being a FALCON!

HA...

My favorite 'stang though, is a first gen fastback in SILVER with a built 302 and "as cast" American's all around. I've seen several in this scheme and configuration with the proper rubber rake and transmission, they are truly a SPORTS GT.

I doubt if I will ever own one.

Took the '69 Vette out today for a "walk" and an oil change... and had it on the rack for the first time. All new bushings underneath, a complete new exhaust system, brakes and tires... the PO really did a number on it BEFORE he sold it! I think this Vette will fulfill all my childhood fantasies. What a brute!

Tony...

What engine and trans are in your '69?

As a kid I lusted after the L-88 cars. Had a really nice student with one once so I got to drive one at Texas World Speedway. Was shocked at how short-geared that 4 speed car was. It'd get to speed in a hurry but you were pretty much biding your time down long straights. Nothing like the later cars, which never run out of gear thanks to the extra two cogs....

Still would like to have an early '70s LT1 Vette-- whatever year they were 375 horse ('71?). Saw a '62 fuelie car the other day, and that got me wanting one of those. Not that I'll ever have one, but it's fun to dream.

///Mike

HA... Mine's a built 350 SBC...

The initial owner had the car something like 25 years, then in the last 15 there have been several owners with spurious records.

I would tend to agree with your evaluation as I believe I have a 355:1 rear and is sure gets to 100 really fast... and frankly, it kinda scares me on the street doin' that sorta thing... so I have no idea what the top end might be like. I guess I could figure it out mathmatically, but what the hell... he's pretty and fun at much lesser speeds... and I got nuttin' ta prove.

This guy is no NCRS contender either, as it has lost all its A/C componants, and has a simple radiator with no reservoir tank... went from Riverside Gold and Tan to White with an all black interior.

I haven't torn into the engine but it appears to have Crane Roller Rockers and probably a mild cam... Edelbrock aluminum dual plane intake (I forget the name) and stock ram's horn exhaust... with the AIR ports plugged... and all new exhaust and Magna-Flow mufflers.

Additionally, I would ASSUME the LAST PO installed new BIG BFG radials, brakes, rotors, and all the suspension bushings... as everything is fresh underneath.

All and all a real treat but totally DIFFERENT than the X...

If ya need them, I can get the actual HP numbers for all years.. but after '72 they really took a dive with new ratings and lots of Smog stuff. Nothing like a BBC as you stated, but it really puts a damper on the already nose-heavy handling. For straight lines, its pure joy!

Mine was rated as 300HP and 380 lb/ft originally. They also made a 330 hp and a 350 hp SBC. Several Corvette enthusiasts who have "tested" mine think its closer to the 350 range.

As for the '62's... I LOVE the C1's and the '61 was my favorite ONLY because it had a two color COVE. I love the simplicity of the '62 and NCRS or not... I'd paint the COVE a cream color! Can't beat the FI for the day also.

Good yakin' with ya!

Hey Herzel...

Some changes, but overall, no real change. She will not be returning to work... she continues to be on "long-term disability" and we are working on her Social Security Disability.

We are also continually working on getting her WELL... but I only expect her to get to a level of being happy and comfortable at home.

Thanks for asking, I'll give her your regards.

Back