Grill Plastic Material?

mblommel

True Classic
The grill on my '74 has several of the mounting tabs broken and the bottom edge "frame" has broken off. I'd like to try and repair it. Mcmaster Carr offers many options for plastic rods, and sheets that with a little help from the dremel tool would work well for patching up the bad spots. I was wondering does anyone here know what type of plastic the grill is made off? I was thinking it might be ABS, but have no way to confirm that. Are there any plastic experts here that could shed some insight on the material? I was planning on gluing the repairs with "devcon plastic welder" a two-part epoxy that says it works with ABS, PVC and other plastics.

Thanks.

Any epoxy for plastic should work fine. After its bonded, do some lite sanding and spray with a satin black spray paint of your choice and your all set :wink2:

No to epoxy...

Use a chemical weld instead, I like the solvent for ABS and EPS sold at hobby stores. In a pinch black plumber's ABS glue will also work, plus it's black.

The plastic is likely ABS but possibly EPS, either way the solvents will do the job. Just a dab of the ABS in the joint (or a drop on the joint if using plastic model solvent) and clamp together. You can trim any squish out after it hardens.

I use my plastic model solvent all the time for automotive stuff. Lenses, trim pieces, glove box lid hinge...:nod:

when I mentioned epoxy I was eluding to the vast variations of epoxy aka glue adhesive whatever you wanna call it. I agree the hobby type stuff works great. Some sets in a few seconds and is good for 200mph :shock:

which ever you choose just be sure to try not to get one that will be too brittle when set as there are flex and stress's exerted on the grills mounting points when the car is in use. GL and post pics of your progress for the archives

Use a chemical weld instead, I like the solvent for ABS and EPS sold at hobby stores. ...I use my plastic model solvent all the time for automotive stuff.

Me, too. In fact, I've applied a great number of hobby/model building techniques and materials to working on my cars. There's lots of ABS like plastic used on our cars and I've found, at least amongst the solvent adhesives I have in my hobby case, that Plastruct Plastic Weld Cement seems to be the most aggressive and successful, even more than Ambroid Pro Weld which I expected to be the best but was not. I actually bought a damaged Scorpion rear louver panel for cheap to try out repair techniques and materials; I was surprised at how repairable it was with hobby solvent cements.

Me personally, I would not use a two part epoxy for repair of ABS or other injection molded plastics ...but that's just me.

John O.

Recent article in HS&EC

A recent article in Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car covered this very topic. While they went the long way round with buying a solvent, some ABS and making their own filler version, the idea is the same. For black materials that need filling just use the ABS cement for pipes. Premixed and ready to go.

Also available in clear, BTW.

That's the stuff!

PLS-2.jpg

I've used it for many things, including my taillight housings

IMG_7235.jpg

X19TailLamps0001.jpg

Loctite Options

Like Greg, I'd probably use ABS cement for the grille. If it works for plumbing applications, it should work for X grilles as well. However, if you want to get a feel for what is available in the way of glues, sealants, and epoxies, you can check the data sheets on Loctite products - many of which have automotive applications:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/

Don

Thanks!

Really appreciate all the info. I'm currently on the hunt for some correctly sized ABS rods and/or tubes to rebuild the mounting points and some sheet for the rest. I will get some ABS solvent, but most likely reinforce the joints with the Devcon stuff as I used it to glue a loose strip back on last night and it is VERY stout now.

I will do my best do document the repairs for the benefit of all here.

Cheers!:D

BEST THING I KNOW FIBERGLASS RESIN

I use fiberglass resin . It burns into plastic. want it really strong ... dip a clean used t - shirt piece in f/g resin .... use that as a gusset and then lightly sand it . stronger than new .

McMaster Carr to the rescue

I've ordered some 3/8"ABS rods, 1/8" ABS sheet and ABS glue, all three are black. Although I plan to paint the grill it is nice to have the underlying material all be black as well in case of rock chips, flaking paint, etc.

I will update when I have more done.

Back