Hand brake Question.

Hi guys

I replace all my brake system a couple years ago and everything works good, but always have difficult to adjust my handbrake, my calipers are “remanufactured”

Since many months ago I can’t adjust the handbrake,
I have no leaks, and no problem at all to brake when I pushed the pedal and stop the car.

I unscrew all the system, the “hand brake lever”(fig 8.9 #6), I moved the cables (fig 8.9 #9) to try to get more “tensioning” and readjust the handbrake followed instructions from HAYNES manual, also I follow the procedure from some guys here in the forum to turn the caliper piston (fig 8.5 #16) to adjust the space between the pad and rotor and still have the problem.

I tested the caliper pulling manually the cable and the handbrake shaft (fig 8.5 #9) I pressed manually and doesn’t brake, I think the Pawl (fig 8.5#10) is missing or damage. Just on one side brakes the wheel but just a little bit.

What do you think?

Thanks on advance..

60270095.jpg

27775627.jpg

60421058.jpg

There could be several things wrong, so it's hard to say for sure.

Inside the caliper itself, there is a self-adjusting screw. It looks like a big flat-head screw with a head that's about 2 inches across. (item 16 on your top drawing). When you replace brake pads, you have to screw it in. Make sure those are able to move.

Remanufactured parts are sometimes defective.

Those screws are the essence of the self-adjusting system. You may have to just get into the caliper and screw it out manually for the first time, then they will adjust by themselves from then on.

That would be the place to start.

I did.

There could be several things wrong, so it's hard to say for sure.

Inside the caliper itself, there is a self-adjusting screw. It looks like a big flat-head screw with a head that's about 2 inches across. (item 16 on your top drawing). When you replace brake pads, you have to screw it in. Make sure those are able to move.

Remanufactured parts are sometimes defective.

Those screws are the essence of the self-adjusting system. You may have to just get into the caliper and screw it out manually for the first time, then they will adjust by themselves from then on.

That would be the place to start.

Thanks for request

yes I did on just one caliper and turns freely, that's why I think "the pawl" is the problem.

Ricardo, jack the car up and

Crawl underneath where you will find a rubber cover that sits just behind where your shift lever cones out. (connects to your trans linkage lollypop) If you pull off the cover you will see where your hand brake lines are. There is a nut on each one of these that adjusts the cable tension.
Make sure the cables go over the pullys properly, (that are inside the covered area) and make sure you've run the hand brake adjustment screw INSIDE THE CAR to it's "loose" point.
That way, when you get the cables underneath adjusted properly, you'll have a normal wear adjustment available.

I explain this terribly but hope you can make sense of it.

Yes, It makes sense!

Crawl underneath where you will find a rubber cover that sits just behind where your shift lever cones out. (connects to your trans linkage lollypop) If you pull off the cover you will see where your hand brake lines are. There is a nut on each one of these that adjusts the cable tension.
Make sure the cables go over the pullys properly, (that are inside the covered area) and make sure you've run the hand brake adjustment screw INSIDE THE CAR to it's "loose" point.
That way, when you get the cables underneath adjusted properly, you'll have a normal wear adjustment available.

I explain this terribly but hope you can make sense of it.

I understood well what you meant, I'll keep on mind for the next round.

thanks.

Back