Harbor Freight Engine Stand Mounting Question

Colltech

'85 and '83
Has anyone successfully mounted a 1500 block on the cheapo HF engine stand below? I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the mounting plate securely attached the block. It may be because the block is so small compared to most engines but the four mounting points don't seem to offer enough adjustment to suit the bolt holes on the back of the block.

Anyone done this before?

Ed

Engine stand.JPG

I have two of the even cheaper HF engine stand (three wheeler) and have no problem lining up to the transmission mount bolt holes. I'll post a picture this afternoon unless someone else beats me to it.

I bought the 750lb capacity stand and mounted the 1300 from my 78 on it. I am not sure if the plates are the same size on these two stands. Mine measures 10"x6". On the 750lb model, the lower mounting flanges need to be as close to the center "axle" as possible. You can see the where they are positioned in these pics.
IM003420.JPG
IM003419.JPG

I am sure you thought of this, but mount the plate to the engine then slide the "axle" into the stand. In my case I found that hoisting the engine higher than the stand, then lifting the stand onto the axle, was easier than trying to slide the axle into the receiver with the stand positioned on the ground.

Eric posted while I was trying to get my pictures and then post them. He is just so quick. ;)

Eric posted while I was trying to get my pictures and then post them. He is just so quick. ;)
It's easy to be quick when all you're doing is promising to post something helpful later.... Jim's pictures exactly match my engine stand setup, except that he had the good sense to include a lifting eye under one of the bolts.

Hmmm.... the mounting plate on Jim's and my 750lb stands looks different from Ed's 1500, with more adjustability.

I wouldn't hesitate to rework that mounting plate with a drill and grinder if a extra hole or slot would help. Also, you really only need three of the four bolts to secure the engine to the plate.

Hmmm.... the mounting plate on Jim's and my 750lb stands looks different from Ed's 1500, with more adjustability.

I wouldn't hesitate to rework that mounting plate with a drill and grinder if a extra hole or slot would help. Also, you really only need three of the four bolts to secure the engine to the plate.

Agreed. I looked at the User Manual for Ed's stand on HF's site. If the pictures in the manual are trustworthy, his stand has no vertical slots. There are 2 horizontal and 2 on a slant. I am sure he will find a way to make it fit.

I find that it's easier to work on the engine when it's got the flywheel on it so I welded up some simple brackets to mount the engine from the side.
Hey - those are really nice! And a big improvement over what I've done the last few times, which is to take the motor off the stand to do the rear crank seal carrier and water gallery cover.

Back