Has anyone tried this

jlpatton

Daily Driver
Just wondering if anyone has ever used Amsoil in the Gear Box or engine? Thinking about flushing it all out and replacing it with Amsoil 90w gear lube for the Tranny, Just a thought

Back in the day.........

When I had my '74 X in St. Louis during the 70's, I changed to Amsoil in the trans (I think my brother in law was selling it) - in winter time with the original gear oil, you could barely budge the shifter until everything was well warmed up; with the Amsoil, there was barely any difference between winter and summer, easy and smooth all the time.

Last edited:
Undoubtedly in the archives somewhere, but Redline MT-90 was always a favourite on here. Works well in my gear box, it was stiff in winter and always a little grindy, with the Redline it's silky smooth.

i know

Redline was favorite in here, I did the reading, however, is hard to find in my country and in germany is like 25 euro / liter , so i used "MOBIL ATF 220 " . it seems to work fine ......

Mr. Patton... Go ahead and try it and let us know...

... but others here will TESTIFY that Redline MT90 or Redline MTL is the lube that is formulated for TRANSAXLES... not just DIFFERENTIALS or TRANSMISSIONS.

The difference being that the materials used in the SYNCROS require a lube with FRICTION properties to more easily MATCH the gear-speeds and shift with minimal-to-no "crunching".

You can try others... but those who have tried others and now use Redline have generally PROVEN its superiority. It takes about 100 miles of driving after changing to Redline and then you can really FEEL the difference.

I use the MTL variety and Steve (Mr. Transmission) Hoelscher suggests the MT90 for racing purposes. It can be had online (myoilshop.com) or call your local dealers first. I found local prices to range about 10 - 12 bucks a quart (4 needed) and online shipped was less than 9. That was a few years back... but do compare...

Let us know how the AMSOIL works...

Redline Questions

Y'all have peaked my interest.

My '74 with 4-speed has always run with Valvoline 75W90 or similar off-the-shelf goop. In factory repair manual (large blue binder) it says "SAE90 Not EP"

Does that mean they recommend a fixed viscosity of 90? The pdf data sheets on MTL and MT-90 look similar with one being 70W80 and the other being 75W90.

At 104 degrees F, which ain't too hot ... MTL says viscocity is 56 and MT-90 say viscocity is 90.

Based on a) No cold weather driving and, b) a 4-speed which is doing more work at highway speeds and, c) original trans internals with exception of clutch job 20+ years ago ... should I use the MT-90?

What's the jury and experts think?

Red Line MT-90... Accept NO substitute!

I run it in all my cars and you will feel the difference. IMO no need to look elsewhere. Later, Greg

Back