Head bolt retorque

EricH

Eric Hamilton
Now that I've taken my fresh-built 1500 through 100 miles or so and a bunch of heat cycles, I suppose it's getting to be time to retorque the head bolts (don't think I have TTY bolts).

Problem is that I don't have the various funny-shaped headbolt wrenches. Do I have to take the cambox off to get the things properly torqued? When I put the engine together, installed and torqued the head, then installed the cambox on top.

Are these the tools?

Hi Eric,

I picked these up off Ebay last year:
IM002336.jpg

IM002334.jpg

IM002333.jpg

I don't recall the sizes and there are no sizes marked on them. :( Both are stamped with "Made in Italy". In addition one is stamped with "ORECA 58820" and the other with "ORECA 58810".

The third octagon shaped tool is for wheel bearing retainer rings.

What size are the bolts you are wanting to work on?

yep, those are them

They look like the 19mm ones for (I think) 1300s and early 1500s. I have set, but the motor I'm messing with now is uses the later 17mm bolts.

Ok Eric

I will try to find a 17mm bolt and check the size on these to be sure. I will let you know what I find.

Good eye Eric.. 19mm

You are correct. These are 19mm. They fit the lug bolts on my wheels perfectly. Now maybe I can torque my wheels from around the corner?

Bummer. I was all set to ship them to you.

Hmmmmm........

Been thinking about doing a shaved head/cam on mine at some point....

Do all the motors required retorquing, or is it only earlier versions?

Are there many special tools required for the job, or can most be worked around?

I haven't looked into the overall head replacement procedure, I guess it's time to do more research.:hmm2:

Been thinking about doing a shaved head/cam on mine at some point....

Do all the motors required retorquing, or is it only earlier versions?

Are there many special tools required for the job, or can most be worked around?

I haven't looked into the overall head replacement procedure, I guess it's time to do more research.:hmm2:

AFAIK all the SOHC motors require retorquing, as long as you're using the factory style head gasket. If you use a fel-pro, no retorque is required.

Fel-Pro "No Re-Torque"

This head gasket should be re-torqued after the first 5-10 hours of engine run time. The head bolts, nuts move a bit during re-torque most every time.

Bernice

AFAIK all the SOHC motors require retorquing, as long as you're using the factory style head gasket. If you use a fel-pro, no retorque is required.

I'm getting a cam/cam box package from Bayless, along with new head bolts. Apparently the fel-pro gasket is only 10-bolt, not 14.

Matt has suggested that it is possible to get away without retorquing. I'd rather not remove all the FI stuff having just installed it :rolleyes2;

Back