Head lite switch issues

countryguy53

Daily Driver
I started to have a problem with the motor that opens and closes lite on the right side. i changed the diodes and the motor works fine now, but not on my daily driver...i have two x's so i tried it on the backup car and the i traced it to the switch, i checked with midwest and they don't have them and don't know of any place to get them....Any ideas on where to get one or a replacement....i took the switch apart and it definitely shows black areas where it had obviously had been hot so the relay mod makes lots of sense to me for the head lites because of the current draw....but the motors are activated by the same switch...Anyone come up with a fix for the motor issue? thanks Gene

The motors have their own relays so they have little direct load on the switch. There are a few mods possible, one uses a similar looking switch from an Panda as I recall. The Greek X site has a wiring modification to allow this to work. I will look around for the info

Some searches from our site:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/search?searchterm=headlight+switch&sort=match

The Panda uses a 4 wire connection and the wiring diagram from them Greek site is below

IMG_1330.JPG

Hope that helps.

Karl

Last edited:
This topic does come up from time to time, what's a suitable replacement for the last version of the headlight switch used on '83 and later cars.

IIRC a very similar switch from mid-80's FIATs available in Europe can be a replacement if some work is done with the car's wiring harness connector. I think Obert's site has instructions.

Or you could convince our own Emir Of Electrons, Duke of Diodes, Potentate of Potentiometers, Oracle of Ohms, Tsar of Transistors, the one, the only Bob Brown to make one oh his solid state touch switches for you.
https://www.xwebforums.com/forum/in...ive-headlight-switch-updated.6766/#post-41825

I started to have a problem with the motor that opens and closes lite on the right side. i changed the diodes and the motor works fine now, but not on my daily driver...i have two x's so i tried it on the backup car and the i traced it to the switch, i checked with midwest and they don't have them and don't know of any place to get them....Any ideas on where to get one or a replacement....i took the switch apart and it definitely shows black areas where it had obviously had been hot so the relay mod makes lots of sense to me for the head lites because of the current draw....but the motors are activated by the same switch...Anyone come up with a fix for the motor issue? thanks Gene
What year of X do you need the switch for?

Its a 86 with the newer fuse panel multiple relays and multiple fuses. I reworked the switch and cleaned up the strips inside the switch but will look at replacing it...

Back